2016 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 18. EDUCATION
304A. University of Hawaii System
PART I. SYSTEM STRUCTURE
A. General and Administrative Provisions
- 304A-101 Establishment; available to all.
- 304A-102 Purposes of the university.
- 304A-103 University to be public corporation; general powers.
- 304A-104 Regents; appointment; tenure; qualifications; meetings.
- 304A-104.5 REPEALED.
- 304A-104.6 Candidate advisory council for the board of regents of the University of Hawaii.
- 304A-105 Powers of regents; official name.
- 304A-106 Gifts; investment authority.
- 304A-107 Loans; advances.
- 304A-108 Suits.
- 304A-109 Service of process.
- 304A-110 Indemnification.
- 304A-111 Indemnification of collaborating institutions.
- 304A-112 Contracts for services provided by the research corporation of the University of Hawaii.
- 304A-113 Commercial enterprises.
- 304A-114 Hawaii history.
- 304A-115 Depository of war records.
- 304A-116 Child care programs.
- 304A-117 Participation and membership in the Western Governors University and other educational consortia.
- 304A-118 Graduation pathway system.
- 304A-119 University of Hawaii; net-zero energy goal.
- 304A-120 Campus safety and accountability.
- 304A-201 Soil conservation; policy.
- 304A-202 Board to act as agency.
- 304A-203 Powers and duties of agency.
- 304A-204 Specialist in cooperative organizations.
- 304A-205 Agriculture, forestry, and natural resource management program, University of Hawaii at Hilo.
C. Career and Technical Education Under Federal Aid
- 304A-301 State board for career and technical education; designation.
- 304A-302 Board's power and authority.
- 304A-303 Career and technical education coordinating advisory council.
D. Independent Audit Committee
PART II. STUDENTS
A. Tuition and Fees
- 304A-401 Tuition fees; resident, nonresident; other fees.
- 304A-402 Residence for tuition purposes; basic rule.
- 304A-403 Public meetings exemption.
B. Scholarship and Assistance Programs
- 304A-501 University of Hawaii scholarship and assistance program; power of regents to grant scholarship and assistance.
- 304A-502 Power of regents to grant tuition waivers.
- 304A-503 Hawaii opportunity program in education.
- 304A-504 Hawaii state scholars program
- 304A-505 Workforce development scholarship program.
C. State Higher Education Loans
- 304A-601 State higher education loans; eligibility; amounts.
- 304A-602 Repayment of state higher education loans; collection.
- 304A-603 Capacity of minors in qualifying for state higher education loans.
- 304A-604 Rules governing state higher education loan fund.
D. Hawaii Educator Loans
- 304A-701 Hawaii educator loans; eligibility; amounts; educator loan forgiveness program; repayment; collection.
- 304A-702 REPEALED.
- 304A-703 Capacity of minors in qualifying for Hawaii educator loans.
- 304A-704 Rules governing Hawaii educator loan program revolving fund.
E. Educational Opportunities
- 304A-801 Program of equal educational opportunity; coordinating office of educational services for the disadvantaged.
- 304A-802 College-credit equivalency program established; purpose; policies and procedures; eligibility.
- 304A-803 Dual credit program.
F. CONTINUING EDUCATION
PART III. UNIVERSITY PERSONNEL
A. Positions and Compensation
- 304A-1001 Exempt personnel.
- 304A-1002 Faculty; classification schedule.
- 304A-1003 Faculty members; exchange privileges; conditions.
- 304A-1004 Annual report; executive, managerial, and faculty salaries.
- 304A-1005 University general counsel.
- 304A-1006 Compensation of education laboratory school cafeteria personnel.
PART IV. DIVISIONS, DEPARTMENTS, AND PROGRAMS
A. Community Colleges
1. general provisions
2. construction academy
- 304A-1141 Purpose
- 304A-1142 Program; establishment.
- 304A-1143 Administration.
- 304A-1144 Annual report.
B. Teacher Education: College
- 304A-1201 College of education
- 304A-1202 Teacher education coordinating committee.
- 304A-1203 REPEALED.
C. Hawaiian Language College
D. School of Law
E. Nursing and Dental Hygiene: School; Center
- 304A-1401 School of nursing and dental hygiene; establishment.
- 304A-1402 School of nursing and dental hygiene; functions.
- 304A-1403 Clinical training and practice; board of regents; power to contract.
- 304A-1404 Center for nursing; establishment; advisory board.
- 304A-1405 Advisory board for the center for nursing; powers and duties
- 304A-1406 Center for nursing; functions.
- 304A-1407 Collaboration with the center for nursing
F. Hawaii Geophysics and Planetology Institute
- 304A-1501 Hawaii geophysics and planetology institute; director and staff.
- 304A-1502 State geophysicists.
- 304A-1503 Encouragement of federal assistance.
G. Environmental Center
H. Center for Labor Education and Research
- 304A-1601 Center for labor education and research; establishment.
- 304A-1602 Center for labor education and research; functions and programs.
- 304A-1603 Labor education advisory council.
I. Aquarium and Marine Laboratory
- 304A-1651 State aquarium.
- 304A-1652 State aquarium; site.
- 304A-1653 State aquarium admission and user fees.
J. Medical Education Council
- 304A-1701 Definitions.
- 304A-1702 Graduate medical education program.
- 304A-1703 Medical education council.
- 304A-1704 Council duties.
- 304A-1705 Council powers.
K. Special Medical Residency Program
- 304A-1751 Findings and purpose.
- 304A-1752 Qualifications for residency program.
- 304A-1753 Contract necessary for filling of positions.
- 304A-1754 Penalty for breach of contract.
- 304A-1755 Residency program; defined.
L. Other Special Medical or Nursing Programs
- 304A-1801 Family practice residency program; established.
- 304A-1802 International exchange program for health-related tourism.
M. Other Special Programs
- 304A-1851 Food and beverage; courses of instruction.
- 304A-1861 Fostering inspiration and relevance through science and technology pre-academy program; established.
- 304A-1862 Robotics and problem-based, applied learning program; established.
- 304A-1863 Research experiences for teachers program; established.
- 304A-1864 `Ulu`ulu: The Henry Ku`ualoha Giugni Moving Image Archive of Hawai`i.
- 304A-1865 Medical marijuana testing and research programs; established.
N. Hawaii Natural Energy Institute
- 304A-1891 Hawaii natural energy institute; structure; function.
- 304A-1892 Advisory council to Hawaii natural energy institute.
- 304A-1893 REPEALED.
- 304A-1893.1 Periodic evaluation.
- 304A-1894 REPEALED.
- 304A-1894.1 Plan of action.
O. Mauna Kea Lands
- 304A-1901 Definitions.
- 304A-1902 Mauna Kea lands; fees; lease agreements.
- 304A-1903 Mauna Kea lands[;] rules.
- 304A-1904 Violations; penalties; costs; collection.
- 304A-1905 Mauna Kea lands; reporting requirements.
PART V. FINANCIAL STRUCTURE
A. Budget Preparation and Administration
- 304A-2001 Benchmarks; annual budget requests; biennial reports.
- 304A-2002 Budget request computation; reporting of exempt fees of scholarship holders.
- 304A-2003 Appropriations; accounts; depositories.
- 304A-2004 Special and revolving funds; expenditures in excess of appropriations.
- 304A-2005 Special and revolving funds; management.
- 304A-2006 Special and revolving funds; fees and charges; public meetings exemption.
- 304A-2007 Special and revolving funds; annual report; expenditures in excess of appropriations.
B. General Funds
C. Special Funds
- 304A-2151 University of Hawaii risk management special fund.
- 304A-2152 University of Hawaii at Manoa malpractice special fund.
- 304A-2153 University of Hawaii tuition and fees special fund.
- 304A-2154 Systemwide information technology and services special fund.
- 304A-2155 Library special fund.
- 304A-2156 University of Hawaii community services special fund.
- 304A-2157 University of Hawaii auxiliary enterprises special fund.
- 304A-2158 REPEALED.
- 304A-2159 University of Hawaii scholarship and assistance special fund
- 304A-2160 State higher education loan fund.
- 304A-2161 Renumbered as §304A-2276.
- 304A-2162 Community colleges special fund.
- 304A-2163 Center for nursing special fund.
- 304A-2164 REPEALED.
- 304A-2165 State aquarium special fund.
- 304A-2166 University of Hawaii-West Oahu special fund.
- 304A-2167 REPEALED.
- 304A-2167.5 University revenue-undertakings fund.
- 304A-2168 Hawaii cancer research special fund.
- 304A-2169 REPEALED.
- 304A-2169.1 Energy systems development special fund.
- 304A-2170 Mauna Kea lands management special fund.
- 304A-2171 John A. Burns school of medicine special fund.
- 304A-2172 University of Hawaii capital improvements program project assessment special fund.
- 304A-2173 Child care programs special fund.
- 304A-2174 REPEALED.
- 304A-2175 REPEALED.
- 304A-2176 University of Hawaii at Manoa intercollegiate athletics special fund and University of Hawaii at Hilo intercollegiate athletics special fund.
- 304A-2177 REPEALED.
- 304A-2178 University of Hawaii-Hilo theatre special fund.
- 304A-2179 Renumbered as §304A-2277.
- 304A-2180 Uluulu: The Henry Kualoha Giugni Moving Image Archive of Hawaii special fund.
D. Revolving Funds
- 304A-2251 University of Hawaii commercial enterprises revolving fund.
- 304A-2252 Renumbered as §304A-2173.
- 304A-2253 Research and training revolving fund.
- 304A-2254 Renumbered as §304A-2174.
- 304A-2255 Student health center revolving fund.
- 304A-2256 Transcript and diploma revolving fund.
- 304A-2257 University of Hawaii student activities revolving fund.
- 304A-2258 REPEALED.
- 304A-2259 Renumbered as §304A-2175.
- 304A-2260 University of Hawaii graduate application revolving fund.
- 304A-2261 Renumbered as §304A-2176.
- 304A-2262 Renumbered as §304A-2177.
- 304A-2263 Seed distribution program; revolving fund.
- 304A-2264 REPEALED.
- 304A-2265 REPEALED.
- 304A-2266 REPEALED.
- 304A-2267 Center for labor education and research revolving fund.
- 304A-2268 REPEALED.
- 304A-2269 REPEALED.
- 304A-2270 Hawaiian language college revolving fund.
- 304A-2271 Renumbered as §304A-2178.
- 304A-2272 Conference center revolving fund; University of Hawaii at Hilo.
- 304A-2273 Community college conference center revolving fund.
- 304A-2274 University of Hawaii real property and facilities use revolving fund.
- 304A-2275 University parking revolving fund.
- 304A-2276 Hawaii educator loan program revolving fund.
- 304A-2277 Professional student exchange program revolving fund.
E. Trust Funds
- 304A-2351 GEAR UP Hawaii scholarship trust fund.
- 304A-2352 University of Hawaii workers' compensation and unemployment insurance compensation trust fund.
- 304A-2353 REPEALED.
- 304A-2354 REPEALED.
- 304A-2355 University of Hawaii quasi-endowment trust fund.
F. Federal Funds
- 304A-2401 Land-grant college aid.
- 304A-2402 Agricultural extension service; experiment station.
- 304A-2403 Acceptance of federal aid; career and technical education.
PART VI. FACILITIES
A. University Projects--Repealed
B. University Parking
- 304A-2601 Parking; control by board of regents.
- 304A-2602 Fines and other penalties.
- 304A-2603 Revenue bonds.
C. University Equipment
D. University Projects and Purposes
- 304A-2671 Definitions and interpretations.
- 304A-2672 Powers of the board.
- 304A-2673 Designation and authorization of university projects, university systems, networks; authorization of revenue bonds.
- 304A-2674 Revenue bonds; details, sale, legal investment.
- 304A-2675 Support facility for variable rate revenue bonds.
- 304A-2676 CUSIP identification numbers.
- 304A-2677 Covenants in resolution authorizing revenue bonds.
- 304A-2678 Execution and validity of revenue bonds.
- 304A-2679 Pledge of revenue of the university.
- 304A-2680 Payment and security of revenue bonds; revenue bonds not a debt of the State.
- 304A-2681 Imposition of rates, rents, fees, and charges; pledge, allocation of appropriation.
- 304A-2682 Revenue bond anticipation notes.
- 304A-2683 University project, university system, networks, and revenue bonds exempt from taxation.
- 304A-2684 Powers additional to other powers.
- 304A-2685 Refunding revenue bonds; authorization and purpose.
- 304A-2686 Fiscal agents.
- 304A-2687 Validation of proceedings.
- 304A-2688 Limitation of authority.
- 304A-2689 Annual report.
- 304A-2690 to 304A-2693 REPEALED.
PART VII. ADMINISTRATIVELY ATTACHED ENTITIES
A. Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii
- 304A-3001 Establishment of the research corporation; purpose.
- 304A-3002 Board of directors; composition.
- 304A-3003 Powers of the research corporation.
- 304A-3004 Research vessel safety requirements.
- 304A-3005 Research corporation excepted from certain state laws.
- 304A-3006 Officers and employees of the research corporation.
- 304A-3007 Annual report.
- 304A-3008 Dissolution.
- 304A-3009 Patents, copyrights, and other rights.
- 304A-3010 Special account.
- 304A-3011 Contracts with state agencies.
B. Pacific International Center for High Technology Research
C. State Post-Secondary Education Commission
- 304A-3151 Establishment of the state post-secondary education commission; membership, administration.
- 304A-3152 Commission's powers and authority.
- 304A-3153 REPEALED.
- 304A-3154 Cooperation with other state agencies.
D. Western Regional Education Compact
- 304A-3201 Approval of compact.
- 304A-3201.5 Definitions.
- 304A-3201.6 Hawaii western interstate commission for higher education.
- 304A-3202 Terms and provisions of compact.
- 304A-3203 Execution.
- 304A-3204 State commissioners.
- 304A-3205 Expenditures; reports.
- 304A-3206 Placement of students.
- 304A-3207 Payment of costs.
- 304A-3208 Obligations under compact not impaired.
- 304A-3209 Professional student exchange program; repayment policy.
E. Hawaii Research Center for Futures Study
F. Nursing Scholars Program
- 304A-3301 Definitions.
- 304A-3302 Nursing scholars program; establishment, administration.
- 304A-3303 Scholarships; nursing degree programs.
- 304A-3304 Program administration.
- 304A-3305 Annual report.
Affirmative consent task force to review University of Hawaii's executive policy on sexual harassment, sexual assault, etc.; report to 2016-2017 legislature (ceases to exist June 30, 2017). L 2015, c 222.
As appropriate, amendments made to the repealed chapters by L 2006, cc 188, 234, 257, and 316 are incorporated into the corresponding sections of chapter 304A.
Annual incentive and performance report and plan. L 2008, c 188, 2.
Certain funds administered by the university, abolished. L 2015, c 106, 27.
Charcoal additives, soil nutrient enhancement research, phase 1. L 2007, c 266.
Concussion educational program. L 2012, c 197; L 2016, c 262.
Development of watershed management strategies in at least two of Hawaii's most severely flood-impacted watersheds. L 2006, c 187.
General fund appropriation reallocation plan, fiscal period 2014-2015 through 2020-2021. L 2013, c 34, 132.
Extension of Social Security Act to center employees. L 2004, c 176.
Corporation Act. L 1975, c 82; L 1997, c 137; L 1998, c 2, 110.
Greenhouse gas emissions reduction task force (report to 2010 legislature and every five years thereafter). L 2007, c 234, 1 to 7.
Hawaii health corps program; incentive program for physicians and dentists for serving in underserved or rural areas (implementation by 2010). L 2008, c 242.
Health care workforce shortage map and database; projections through 2020. L 2007, c 219, 5, 6.
Medical marijuana dispensary program in the State; legislative oversight working group (ceases to exist June 30, 2018); reports to 2017-2018 legislature. L 2016, c 230, 23.
Music and enterprise learning experience (MELE) program grant. L Sp 2007, c 11, 6.
PBS Hawaii, thirty-five year lease. L Sp 2007, c 11, 3.
Public land trust information system. L 2011, c 54; L 2013, c 110.
Regents candidate advisory council, existing members to serve until terms expire. L 2013, c 72, 5.
Science and technology plan incorporating EPSCor (experimental program to stimulate competitive research) efforts (reports from 2011 and every 5 years thereafter). L 2009, c 137.
Skilled worker and business development center at each community college. L Sp 2009, c 34.
This chapter is based substantially on repealed chapters 222, 304, 304D, 304E, 305, 305A, 305E, 305H, 306, 307, 308, and 310 and repealed section 341-5.
Bridge to hope program, see 346-68.
College savings program, see chapter 256.
Commission for national and community service, see chapter 90D.
Individual development accounts, see chapter 257.
Professional or vocational licensing sanctions for default on student loans, see 436B-19.6 and chapter 436C.
Tuition assistance for national guard personnel, see 121-45.
University of Hawaii optional retirement system, see 88-8.
Departmental data sharing (improving educational and workforce outcomes), see 27-7.
Hawaii agriculture workforce advisory board, see 371-19.
Hawaii health corps, see chapter 309H.
Interstate compact on educational opportunity for military children, see chapter 311D.
Pacific international space center for exploration systems, see chapter 201, part V, subpart B.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.