2016 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 18. EDUCATION
304A. University of Hawaii System
304A-103 University to be public corporation; general powers.
[§304A-103] University to be public corporation; general powers. The University of Hawaii is established as the state university and is constituted as a body corporate. The university, under the direction of the board of regents, shall have the following general powers:
(1) To adopt, amend, and repeal bylaws governing the conduct of its business and the performance of the powers and duties granted to or imposed upon it by law;
(2) To acquire in any lawful manner any property, real, personal, or mixed, tangible or intangible, or any interest therein; to hold, maintain, use, and operate that property; and to sell, lease, or otherwise dispose of that property at such time, in such manner, and to the extent deemed necessary or appropriate to carry out its purposes;
(3) To enter into and perform contracts, leases, cooperative agreements, or other transactions as may be necessary in the conduct of its business and on terms it may deem appropriate, with any agency or instrumentality of the United States, with any state, territory, or possession, or with any political subdivision thereof, or with any person, firm, association, or corporation;
(4) To determine the character of and the necessity for its obligations and expenditures and the manner in which they shall be incurred, allowed, and paid, subject to provisions of law specifically applicable to the university;
(5) To execute, in accordance with its bylaws, all instruments necessary or appropriate in the exercise of any of its powers; and
(6) To take such actions as may be necessary or appropriate to carry out the powers conferred upon it by law. [L 2006, c 75, pt of §2]
Corporation Act. L 1975, c 82; L 1997, c 137; L 1998, c 2, §110.
Extension of Social Security Act to center employees. L 2004, c 176.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.