2016 Hawaii Revised Statutes
TITLE 18. EDUCATION
304A. University of Hawaii System
304A-1703 Medical education council.
[§304A-1703] Medical education council. (a) There is established within the University of Hawaii, the medical education council consisting of the following thirteen members:
(1) The dean of the school of medicine at the University of Hawaii;
(2) The dean of the school of nursing and dental hygiene at the University of Hawaii;
(3) The vice dean for academic affairs at the school of medicine who represents graduate medical education at the University of Hawaii;
(4) The director of health or the director's designated representative;
(5) The director of the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii; and
(6) Eight persons to be appointed by the governor as follows:
(A) Three persons each of whom shall represent a different hospital at which accredited graduate medical education programs are conducted;
(B) Three persons each [of] whom represent the health professions community;
(C) One person who represents the federal healthcare sector; and
(D) One person from the general public.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (a)(1), (2), (3), and (4), no two council members may be employed by or affiliated with the same:
(1) Institution of higher education;
(2) State agency outside of higher education; or
(3) Private entity.
(c) Terms of office of council members shall be as follows:
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), the dean of the school of medicine, dean of the school of nursing and dental hygiene, vice dean for academic affairs of the school of medicine at the University of Hawaii, and the director of health, or the director's designated representative, shall be permanent ex officio members of the council, and the remaining nonpermanent council members shall be appointed to four-year terms of office;
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), the governor at the time of the initial appointment shall reduce the terms of four nonpermanent council members to two years to ensure that approximately half of the nonpermanent council members are appointed every two years; and
(3) If a vacancy occurs in the membership for any reason, the replacement shall be appointed by the governor for the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment was made.
(d) The dean of the school of medicine at the University of Hawaii shall chair the council. The council shall annually elect a vice chair from among the members of the council.
(e) All council members shall have voting rights. A majority of the council members shall constitute a quorum. The action of a majority of a quorum shall be the action of the council.
(f) Per diem and expenses incurred in the performance of official duties may be paid to a council member who:
(1) Is not a government employee; or
(2) Is a government employee, but does not receive salary, per diem, or expenses from the council member's employing unit for service to the council.
A council member may decline to receive per diem and expenses for service to the council. [L 2006, c 75, pt of §2]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.