2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 48. Children's code.
- 48.01 Title and legislative purpose.
- 48.02 Definitions.
- 48.022 Electronic filing.
- 48.023 Guardianship.
- 48.025 Declaration of paternal interest in matters affecting children.
- 48.027 Child custody jurisdiction.
- 48.028 Indian child welfare.
- 48.029 Pregnancy testing prohibited.
ORGANIZATION OF COURT
- 48.03 Time and place of court; absence or disability of judge; court of record.
- 48.035 Court; Menominee and Shawano counties.
- 48.04 Employees of court.
- 48.06 Services for court.
- 48.067 Powers and duties of intake workers.
- 48.069 Powers and duties of disposition staff.
- 48.07 Additional sources of court services.
- 48.08 Duties of person furnishing services to court.
- 48.09 Representation of the interests of the public.
- 48.10 Power of the judge to act as intake worker.
- 48.11 Advisory board.
- 48.13 Jurisdiction over children alleged to be in need of protection or services.
- 48.133 Jurisdiction over unborn children in need of protection or services and the expectant mothers of those unborn children.
- 48.135 Referral of children and expectant mothers of unborn children to proceedings under chapter 51 or 55
- 48.14 Jurisdiction over other matters relating to children.
- 48.15 Jurisdiction of other courts to determine legal custody.
- 48.16 Jurisdiction over petitions for waiver of parental consent to a minor's abortion.
- 48.185 Venue.
HOLDING A CHILD OR AN EXPECTANT MOTHER IN CUSTODY
- 48.19 Taking a child into custody.
- 48.193 Taking an adult expectant mother into custody.
- 48.195 Taking a newborn child into custody.
- 48.20 Release or delivery of child from custody.
- 48.203 Release or delivery of adult expectant mother from custody.
- 48.205 Criteria for holding a child or expectant mother in physical custody.
- 48.207 Places where a child or expectant mother may be held in nonsecure custody.
- 48.208 Criteria for holding a child in a juvenile detention facility.
- 48.209 Criteria for holding a child in a county jail.
- 48.21 Hearing for child in custody.
- 48.213 Hearing for adult expectant mother in custody.
- 48.215 Mother-young child care program.
- 48.217 Change in placement; child or expectant mother held in custody.
- 48.227 Runaway homes.
- 48.23 Right to counsel.
- 48.235 Guardian ad litem.
- 48.236 Court-appointed special advocate.
- 48.24 Receipt of jurisdictional information; intake inquiry.
- 48.243 Basic rights: duty of intake worker.
- 48.245 Informal disposition.
- 48.25 Petition: authorization to file.
- 48.255 Petition; form and content.
- 48.257 Petition to initiate a procedure to waive parental consent prior to a minor's abortion.
- 48.263 Amendment of petition.
- 48.27 Notice; summons.
- 48.273 Service of summons or notice; expense.
- 48.275 Parents' contribution to cost of court and legal services.
- 48.28 Failure to obey summons; capias.
- 48.29 Substitution of judge.
- 48.293 Discovery.
- 48.295 Physical, psychological, mental or developmental examination.
- 48.297 Motions before trial.
- 48.299 Procedures at hearings.
- 48.30 Plea hearing.
- 48.305 Hearing upon the involuntary removal of a child or expectant mother.
- 48.31 Fact-finding hearing.
- 48.315 Delays, continuances and extensions.
- 48.317 Jeopardy.
- 48.32 Consent decree.
- 48.33 Court reports.
- 48.335 Dispositional hearings.
- 48.345 Disposition of child or unborn child of child expectant mother adjudged in need of protection or services.
- 48.347 Disposition of unborn child of adult expectant mother adjudged in need of protection or services.
- 48.35 Effect of judgment and disposition.
- 48.355 Dispositional orders.
- 48.356 Duty of court to warn.
- 48.357 Change in placement; child or expectant mother subject to dispositional order.
- 48.358 Trial reunification.
- 48.36 Payment for services.
- 48.361 Payment for alcohol and other drug abuse services.
- 48.362 Payment for certain special treatment or care services.
- 48.363 Revision of dispositional orders.
- 48.365 Extension of orders.
- 48.366 Extended out-of-home care.
- 48.368 Continuation of dispositional orders.
- 48.37 Costs and fees.
- 48.371 Access to certain information by substitute care provider.
- 48.373 Medical authorization.
- 48.375 Parental consent required prior to abortion; judicial waiver procedure.
PERMANENCY PLANNING; RECORDS
- 48.38 Permanency planning.
- 48.383 Reasonable and prudent parent standard.
- 48.385 Plan for transition to independent living.
- 48.396 Records.
TERMINATION OF PARENTAL RIGHTS
- 48.40 Definitions.
- 48.41 Voluntary consent to termination of parental rights.
- 48.415 Grounds for involuntary termination of parental rights.
- 48.417 Petition for termination of parental rights; when required.
- 48.42 Procedure.
- 48.422 Hearing on the petition.
- 48.423 Rights of persons alleging paternity.
- 48.424 Fact-finding hearing.
- 48.425 Court report by an agency.
- 48.426 Standard and factors.
- 48.427 Dispositions.
- 48.43 Court orders; contents and effect; review.
- 48.432 Access to medical information.
- 48.433 Access to identifying information about parents.
- 48.434 Release of identifying information by an agency when authorization is granted.
- 48.435 Custody of children.
- 48.437 Change in placement; posttermination of parental rights.
JURISDICTION OVER PERSON 17 OR OLDER
REHEARING AND APPEAL
- 48.46 New evidence; relief from judgment terminating parental rights.
- 48.465 Motion for postdisposition relief and appeal.
PURPOSE, DUTIES, AND AUTHORITY OF DEPARTMENT
- 48.468 Purpose of department.
- 48.47 Duties of department.
- 48.48 Authority of department.
- 48.481 Grants for children's community programs.
- 48.485 Transfer of Indian children to department for adoption.
- 48.487 Tribal family services.
- 48.52 Facilities for care of children and adult expectant mothers in care of department.
- 48.526 Community youth and family aids.
- 48.528 Community intervention program.
- 48.53 Literacy and early childhood development grants.
- 48.545 Brighter futures initiative.
- 48.547 Alcohol and other drug abuse program.
- 48.548 Multidisciplinary screen and assessment criteria.
- 48.55 State adoption information exchange and state adoption center.
CHILD WELFARE SERVICES
- 48.56 Child welfare services in counties having populations of less than 750,000.
- 48.561 Child welfare services in a county having a population of 750,000 or more.
- 48.562 Milwaukee child welfare partnership council.
- 48.563 Children and family aids funding.
- 48.565 Carry-over of children and family aids funds.
- 48.568 Allocation of federal funds for children and family aids and child welfare.
- 48.569 Distribution of children and family aids funds to counties.
- 48.57 Powers and duties of department and county departments providing child welfare services.
- 48.576 Shelter care facilities; general supervision and inspection by department.
- 48.578 Shelter care facilities; establishment, approval, inspection.
- 48.58 County children's home in populous counties.
- 48.59 Examination and records.
CHILD WELFARE AGENCIES
- 48.599 Definitions.
- 48.60 Child welfare agencies licensed.
- 48.61 Powers and duties of child welfare agencies.
- 48.615 Child welfare agency licensing fees.
- 48.619 Definition.
- 48.62 Licensing of foster homes; rates.
- 48.623 Subsidized guardianships.
- 48.625 Licensing of group homes; fees.
- 48.627 Foster parent insurance and liability.
- 48.63 Restrictions on placements.
- 48.64 Placement of children in out-of-home care.
- 48.645 Foster care aid.
- 48.647 Second-chance homes.
CHILD CARE PROVIDERS
- 48.65 Child care centers licensed; fees.
- 48.651 Certification of child care providers.
- 48.653 Information for child care providers.
- 48.655 Parental access.
- 48.656 Parent's right to know.
- 48.657 Child care center reports.
- 48.658 Child safety alarms in child care vehicles.
- 48.659 Child care quality rating system.
LICENSING PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS FOR CHILD WELFARE AGENCIES, FOSTER HOMES, GROUP HOMES, CHILD CARE CENTERS, AND COUNTY DEPARTMENTS
- 48.66 Licensing duties of the department.
- 48.67 Rules governing child welfare agencies, child care centers, foster homes, group homes, shelter care facilities, and county departments.
- 48.68 Investigation of applicant; issuing of license.
- 48.685 Criminal history and child abuse record search.
- 48.686 Criminal history and child abuse record search; child care.
- 48.69 Probationary licenses.
- 48.70 Provisions of licenses.
- 48.715 Sanctions and penalties.
- 48.72 Appeal procedure.
- 48.73 Inspection of licensees and school district child care programs.
- 48.735 Immunization requirements; child care centers.
- 48.737 Lead screening, inspection and reduction requirements; child care centers.
- 48.74 Authority of department to investigate alleged violations.
- 48.743 Community living arrangements for children.
- 48.745 Formal complaints regarding child welfare agencies and group homes.
- 48.75 Foster homes licensed by public licensing agencies and by child welfare agencies.
- 48.76 Penalties.
- 48.77 Injunction against violations.
GENERAL PROVISIONS ON RECORDS
ADOPTION OF MINORS; GUARDIANSHIP
- 48.81 Who may be adopted.
- 48.82 Who may adopt.
- 48.825 Advertising related to adoption.
- 48.83 Jurisdiction and venue.
- 48.831 Appointment of guardian for child without a living parent for adoptability finding.
- 48.832 Transfer of guardianship upon revocation of guardian's license or contract.
- 48.833 Placement of children for adoption by the department, county departments, and child welfare agencies.
- 48.834 Placement of children with relatives or siblings for adoption by the department, county departments, and child welfare agencies.
- 48.835 Placement of children with relatives for adoption.
- 48.837 Placement of children with nonrelatives for adoption.
- 48.838 Foreign adoption fees.
- 48.839 Adoption of foreign children.
- 48.84 Preadoption preparation for proposed adoptive parents.
- 48.841 Persons required to file recommendation as to adoption.
- 48.85 Recommendation of guardian.
- 48.871 Filing of recommendation by guardian.
- 48.88 Notice of hearing; investigation.
- 48.89 Recommendation of the department.
- 48.90 Filing of adoption petition; preadoption residence.
- 48.91 Hearing; order.
- 48.913 Payments by adoptive or proposed adoptive parents to a birth parent or child or on behalf of a birth parent or child.
- 48.915 Adoption appeals given preference.
- 48.92 Effect of adoption.
- 48.925 Visitation rights of certain persons.
- 48.93 Records closed.
- 48.94 New birth certificate.
- 48.95 Withdrawal or denial of petition.
- 48.96 Subsequent adoption.
- 48.97 Adoption and guardianship orders of other jurisdictions.
- 48.975 Adoption assistance.
- 48.977 Appointment of guardians for certain children in need of protection or services.
- 48.978 Appointment or designation of standby guardian of a child.
- 48.979 Delegation of power by parent.
- 48.98 Interstate placement of children.
- 48.981 Abused or neglected children and abused unborn children.
- 48.982 Child abuse and neglect prevention board.
- 48.983 Child abuse and neglect prevention program.
- 48.986 Child abuse and neglect and unborn child abuse services.
- 48.987 Earnings of self-supporting minors.
- 48.988 Interstate compact on the placement of children.
- 48.989 Interstate compact on the placement of children: additional procedure.
- 48.9895 Withdrawal from Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children.
- 48.99 Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children.
- 48.9985 Interstate adoption agreements.
- 48.999 Expediting interstate placements of children.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.