2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 48. Children's code.
48.29 Substitution of judge.

Universal Citation: WI Stat § 48.29 (2017)

48.29 Substitution of judge.

(1) The child, the child's parent, guardian or legal custodian, the expectant mother, or the unborn child's guardian ad litem, either before or during the plea hearing, may file a written request with the clerk of the court or other person acting as the clerk for a substitution of the judge assigned to the proceeding. Upon filing the written request, the filing party shall immediately mail or deliver a copy of the request to the judge named in the request. When any person has the right to request a substitution of judge, that person's counsel or guardian ad litem may file the request. Not more than one such written request may be filed in any one proceeding, nor may any single request name more than one judge. This section does not apply to proceedings under s. 48.21 or 48.213.

(1m) When the clerk receives a request for substitution, the clerk shall immediately contact the judge whose substitution has been requested for a determination of whether the request was made timely and in proper form. If the request is found to be timely and in proper form, the judge named in the request has no further jurisdiction and the clerk shall request the assignment of another judge under s. 751.03. If no determination is made within 7 days, the clerk shall refer the matter to the chief judge of the judicial administrative district for determination of whether the request was made timely and in proper form and reassignment as necessary.

(3)Subsections (1) and (1m) do not apply in any proceeding under s. 48.375 (7). For proceedings under s. 48.375 (7), the minor may select the judge whom she wishes to be assigned to the proceeding and that judge shall be assigned to the proceeding.

History: 1977 c. 354; 1979 c. 32 s. 92 (1); 1979 c. 300; 1987 a. 151; 1991 a. 263; 1993 a. 98; 1995 a. 77; 1997 a. 35, 292; 2013 a. 170.

Sub. (1) permits more than one party to file a request for a substitution of judge in a TPR proceeding. Julie A.B. v. Sheboygan County, 2002 WI App 220, 257 Wis. 2d. 285, 650 N.W.2d 920, 02-1479.

This section, not s. 801.58, is applicable to judicial substitutions in termination of parental rights cases. Brown County Department of Human Services v. Terrance M. 2005 WI App 57, 280 Wis. 2d 396, 694 N.W.2d 458, 04-2379.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.