2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 48. Children's code.
48.14 Jurisdiction over other matters relating to children.
48.14 Jurisdiction over other matters relating to children. Except as provided in s. 48.028 (3), the court has exclusive jurisdiction over:
(1) The termination of parental rights to a minor in accordance with subch. VIII.
(2) The appointment and removal of a guardian of the person in the following cases:
(a) For a minor, where parental rights have been terminated under subch. VIII; or
(b) The appointment and removal of a guardian of the person for a child under ss. 48.427, 48.43, 48.831, 48.832, 48.839 (4) (a), 48.977, and 48.978 and ch. 54 and for a child found to be in need of protection or services under s. 48.13 because the child is without parent or guardian.
(3) The adoption of children.
(5) Proceedings under chs. 51 and 55 which apply to minors and proceedings under ch. 51 which apply to the adult expectant mothers of unborn children, if those adult expectant mothers appear to be drug dependent or to suffer from alcoholism.
(6) Consent to marry under s. 765.02.
(7) Appeals under s. 115.80 (7).
(8) Runaway children, but only as provided under s. 48.227 for the limited purpose described in that section.
(9) Proceedings under s. 146.34 (5).
(10) Proceedings under s. 813.122 or 813.125 in which the respondent is a child.
(11) Granting visitation privileges under s. 54.56.
(12) Proceedings under s. 48.028 (8) for the return of custody of an Indian child to his or her former parent, as defined in s. 48.028 (2) (c), or former Indian custodian, as defined in s. 48.028 (2) (b), following a vacation or setting aside of an order granting adoption of the Indian child or following an order voluntarily terminating parental rights to an Indian child of all adoptive parents of the Indian child.
If two actions between the same parties, on the same subject, to test the same rights are brought in different courts with concurrent jurisdiction, it is error for the second court to assume jurisdiction. Interest of Tiffany W. & Myokra W. 192 Wis. 2d 407, 532 N.W.2d 135 (Ct. App. 1995).