2017 Revised Code of Washington
Title 46 - MOTOR VEHICLES
46.61 Rules of the road.
OBEDIENCE TO AND EFFECT OF TRAFFIC LAWS
- 46.61.005 Chapter refers to vehicles upon highways—Exceptions.
- 46.61.015 Obedience to police officers, flaggers, or firefighters—Penalty.
- 46.61.020 Refusal to give information to or cooperate with officer—Penalty.
- 46.61.021 Duty to obey law enforcement officer—Authority of officer.
- 46.61.022 Failure to obey officer—Penalty.
- 46.61.024 Attempting to elude police vehicle—Defense—License revocation.
- 46.61.025 Persons riding animals or driving animal-drawn vehicles.
- 46.61.030 Persons working on highway right-of-way—Exceptions.
- 46.61.035 Authorized emergency vehicles.
TRAFFIC SIGNS, SIGNALS, AND MARKINGS
- 46.61.050 Obedience to and required traffic control devices.
- 46.61.055 Traffic control signal legend.
- 46.61.060 Pedestrian control signals.
- 46.61.065 Flashing signals.
- 46.61.070 Lane-direction-control signals.
- 46.61.072 Special traffic control signals—Legend.
- 46.61.075 Display of unauthorized signs, signals, or markings.
- 46.61.080 Interference with official traffic-control devices or railroad signs or signals.
- 46.61.085 Traffic control signals or devices upon city streets forming part of state highways—Approval by department of transportation.
DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY—OVERTAKING AND PASSING—USE OF ROADWAY
- 46.61.100 Keep right except when passing, etc.
- 46.61.105 Passing vehicles proceeding in opposite directions.
- 46.61.110 Overtaking on the left.
- 46.61.115 When overtaking on the right is permitted.
- 46.61.120 Limitations on overtaking on the left.
- 46.61.125 Further limitations on driving to left of center of roadway.
- 46.61.126 Pedestrians and bicyclists—Legal duties.
- 46.61.130 No-passing zones.
- 46.61.135 One-way roadways and rotary traffic islands.
- 46.61.140 Driving on roadways laned for traffic.
- 46.61.145 Following too closely.
- 46.61.150 Driving on divided highways.
- 46.61.155 Restricted access.
- 46.61.160 Restrictions on limited-access highway—Use by bicyclists.
- 46.61.165 High occupancy vehicle lanes—Definition.
- 46.61.180 Vehicle approaching intersection.
- 46.61.183 Nonfunctioning signal lights.
- 46.61.184 Bicycle, moped, or street legal motorcycle at intersection with inoperative vehicle detection device.
- 46.61.185 Vehicle turning left.
- 46.61.190 Vehicle entering stop or yield intersection.
- 46.61.195 Arterial highways designated—Stopping on entering.
- 46.61.200 Stop intersections other than arterial may be designated.
- 46.61.202 Stopping when traffic obstructed.
- 46.61.205 Vehicle entering highway from private road or driveway.
- 46.61.210 Operation of vehicles on approach of emergency vehicles.
- 46.61.212 Approaching emergency zones—Penalty—Violation.
- 46.61.215 Highway construction and maintenance.
- 46.61.220 Transit vehicles.
PEDESTRIANS' RIGHTS AND DUTIES
- 46.61.230 Pedestrians subject to traffic regulations.
- 46.61.235 Crosswalks.
- 46.61.240 Crossing at other than crosswalks.
- 46.61.245 Drivers to exercise care.
- 46.61.250 Pedestrians on roadways.
- 46.61.255 Pedestrians soliciting rides or business.
- 46.61.260 Driving through safety zone prohibited.
- 46.61.261 Sidewalks, crosswalks—Pedestrians, bicycles.
- 46.61.264 Pedestrians yield to emergency vehicles.
- 46.61.266 Pedestrians under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- 46.61.269 Passing beyond bridge or grade crossing barrier prohibited.
- 46.61.275 Reporting of certain speed zone violations—Subsequent law enforcement investigation.
TURNING AND STARTING AND SIGNALSON STOPPING AND TURNING
- 46.61.290 Required position and method of turning at intersections.
- 46.61.295 "U" turns.
- 46.61.300 Starting parked vehicle.
- 46.61.305 When signals required—Improper use prohibited.
- 46.61.310 Signals by hand and arm or signal lamps.
- 46.61.315 Method of giving hand and arm signals.
SPECIAL STOPS REQUIRED
- 46.61.340 Approaching railroad grade crossings.
- 46.61.345 All vehicles must stop at certain railroad grade crossings.
- 46.61.350 Approaching railroad grade crossings—Specific vehicles—Exceptions—Definition.
- 46.61.355 Moving heavy equipment at railroad grade crossings—Notice of intended crossing.
- 46.61.365 Emerging from alley, driveway, or building.
- 46.61.370 Overtaking or meeting school bus, exceptions—Duties of bus driver—Penalty—Safety cameras.
- 46.61.371 School bus stop sign violators—Identification by vehicle owner.
- 46.61.372 School bus stop sign violators—Report by bus driver—Law enforcement investigation.
- 46.61.375 Overtaking or meeting private carrier bus—Duties of bus driver.
- 46.61.380 Rules for design, marking, and mode of operating school buses.
- 46.61.385 School patrol—Appointment—Authority—Finance—Insurance.
- 46.61.400 Basic rule and maximum limits.
- 46.61.405 Decreases by secretary of transportation.
- 46.61.410 Increases by secretary of transportation—Maximum speed limit for trucks—Auto stages—Signs and notices.
- 46.61.415 When local authorities may establish or alter maximum limits.
- 46.61.419 Private roads—Speed enforcement.
- 46.61.425 Minimum speed regulation—Passing slow moving vehicle.
- 46.61.427 Slow-moving vehicle to pull off roadway.
- 46.61.428 Slow-moving vehicle driving on shoulders, when.
- 46.61.430 Authority of secretary of transportation to fix speed limits on limited access facilities exclusive—Local regulations.
- 46.61.435 Local authorities to provide "stop" or "yield" signs at intersections with increased speed highways—Designated as arterials.
- 46.61.440 Maximum speed limit when passing school or playground crosswalks—Penalty, disposition of proceeds.
- 46.61.445 Due care required.
- 46.61.450 Maximum speed, weight, or size in traversing bridges, elevated structures, tunnels, underpasses—Posting limits.
- 46.61.455 Vehicles with solid or hollow cushion tires.
- 46.61.460 Special speed limitation on motor-driven cycle.
- 46.61.465 Exceeding speed limit evidence of reckless driving.
- 46.61.470 Speed traps defined, certain types permitted—Measured courses, speed measuring devices, timing from aircraft.
- 46.61.480 Determination of maximum speed on nonlimited access state highways within tribal reservation boundaries.
RECKLESS DRIVING, DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE,VEHICULAR HOMICIDE AND ASSAULT
- 46.61.500 Reckless driving—Penalty.
- 46.61.502 Driving under the influence.
- 46.61.503 Driver under twenty-one consuming alcohol or marijuana—Penalties.
- 46.61.504 Physical control of vehicle under the influence.
- 46.61.5054 Alcohol violators—Additional fee—Distribution.
- 46.61.5055 Alcohol and drug violators—Penalty schedule.
- 46.61.5056 Alcohol violators—Information school—Evaluation and treatment.
- 46.61.50571 Alcohol or marijuana violators—Mandatory appearances—Electronic monitoring or alcohol abstinence monitoring.
- 46.61.5058 Alcohol violators—Vehicle seizure and forfeiture.
- 46.61.506 Persons under influence of intoxicating liquor or drug—Evidence—Tests—Information concerning tests.
- 46.61.507 Arrest upon driving under the influence or being in physical control of vehicle under the influence, notation required if child is present—Arrest upon drug or alcohol-related driving offense, child protective services notified if child is present and operator is child's parent, guardian, or custodian.
- 46.61.508 Liability of medical personnel withdrawing blood.
- 46.61.513 Criminal history and driving record.
- 46.61.5151 Sentences—Intermittent fulfillment—Restrictions.
- 46.61.5152 Attendance at program focusing on victims.
- 46.61.516 Qualified probation department defined.
- 46.61.517 Refusal of tests—Admissibility as evidence.
- 46.61.519 Alcoholic beverages—Drinking or open container in vehicle on highway—Exceptions.
- 46.61.5191 Local ordinances not prohibited.
- 46.61.5195 Disguising alcoholic beverage container.
- 46.61.520 Vehicular homicide—Penalty.
- 46.61.522 Vehicular assault—Penalty.
- 46.61.524 Vehicular homicide, assault—Revocation of driving privilege—Eligibility for reinstatement.
- 46.61.5249 Negligent driving—First degree.
- 46.61.525 Negligent driving—Second degree.
- 46.61.526 Negligent driving—Second degree—Vulnerable user victim—Penalties—Definitions.
- 46.61.527 Roadway construction zones.
- 46.61.530 Racing of vehicles on highways—Reckless driving—Exception.
- 46.61.535 Advertising of unlawful speed—Reckless driving.
- 46.61.540 "Drugs," what included.
STOPPING, STANDING, AND PARKING
- 46.61.560 Stopping, standing, or parking outside business or residence districts.
- 46.61.570 Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in specified places—Reserving portion of highway prohibited.
- 46.61.575 Additional parking regulations.
- 46.61.577 Regulations governing parking facilities.
- 46.61.581 Parking spaces for persons with disabilities—Indication, access—Failure, penalty.
- 46.61.582 Free parking for persons with disabilities—Exceptions.
- 46.61.583 Special plate or card issued by another jurisdiction.
- 46.61.585 Winter recreational parking areas—Special permit required.
- 46.61.587 Winter recreational parking areas—Penalty.
- 46.61.590 Unattended motor vehicle—Removal from highway.
- 46.61.600 Unattended motor vehicle.
- 46.61.605 Limitations on backing.
- 46.61.606 Driving on sidewalk prohibited—Exception.
- 46.61.608 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.
- 46.61.610 Riding on motorcycles.
- 46.61.611 Motorcycles—Maximum height for handlebars.
- 46.61.612 Riding on motorcycles—Position of feet.
- 46.61.613 Motorcycles—Temporary suspension of restrictions for parades or public demonstrations.
- 46.61.614 Riding on motorcycles—Clinging to other vehicles.
- 46.61.615 Obstructions to driver's view or driving mechanism.
- 46.61.620 Opening and closing vehicle doors.
- 46.61.625 Riding in trailers or towed vehicles.
- 46.61.630 Coasting prohibited.
- 46.61.635 Following fire apparatus prohibited.
- 46.61.640 Crossing fire hose.
- 46.61.645 Throwing materials on highway prohibited—Removal.
- 46.61.655 Dropping load, other materials—Covering.
- 46.61.660 Carrying persons or animals on outside part of vehicle.
- 46.61.665 Embracing another while driving.
- 46.61.670 Driving with wheels off roadway.
- 46.61.672 Using a personal electronic device while driving.
- 46.61.673 Dangerously distracted driving.
- 46.61.675 Causing or permitting vehicle to be unlawfully operated.
- 46.61.680 Lowering passenger vehicle below legal clearance—Penalty.
- 46.61.685 Leaving children unattended in standing vehicle with motor running—Penalty.
- 46.61.687 Child passenger restraint required—Conditions—Exceptions—Penalty for violation—Dismissal—Noncompliance not negligence—Immunity.
- 46.61.6871 Child passenger safety technician—Immunity.
- 46.61.688 Safety belts, use required—Penalties—Exemptions.
- 46.61.6885 Child restraints, seat belts—Educational campaign.
- 46.61.690 Violations relating to toll facilities—Exception.
- 46.61.700 Parent or guardian shall not authorize or permit violation by a child or ward.
- 46.61.705 Off-road motorcycles.
- 46.61.710 Mopeds, EPAMDs, electric-assisted bicycles, motorized foot scooters—General requirements and operation.
- 46.61.720 Mopeds—Safety standards.
- 46.61.723 Medium-speed electric vehicles.
- 46.61.725 Neighborhood electric vehicles.
- 46.61.730 Wheelchair conveyances.
- 46.61.735 Ferry queues—Violations—Exemptions.
- 46.61.740 Theft of motor vehicle fuel.
- 46.61.745 Possessing or consuming marijuana in vehicle on highway—Penalty, exceptions—Definition.
OPERATION OF NONMOTORIZED VEHICLES
- 46.61.750 Effect of regulations—Penalty.
- 46.61.755 Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles.
- 46.61.758 Hand signals.
- 46.61.760 Riding on bicycles.
- 46.61.765 Clinging to vehicles.
- 46.61.770 Riding on roadways and bicycle paths.
- 46.61.775 Carrying articles.
- 46.61.780 Lamps and other equipment on bicycles.
- 46.61.790 Intoxicated bicyclists.
PEDESTRIANS' RIGHTS AND DUTIES
TURNING AND STARTING AND SIGNALS
ON STOPPING AND TURNING
SPECIAL STOPS REQUIRED
RECKLESS DRIVING, DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE,
VEHICULAR HOMICIDE AND ASSAULT
STOPPING, STANDING, AND PARKING
OPERATION OF NONMOTORIZED VEHICLES
Additional statutory assessments: RCW 3.62.090.
Limited access highways, turning, parking violations: RCW 47.52.120.
Traffic signal preemption devices, use of: RCW 46.37.670 through 46.37.675.