2017 Revised Code of Washington
Title 46 - MOTOR VEHICLES
46.18 Special license plates.
46.18.205 Amateur radio license plates.
RCW 46.18.205 Amateur radio license plates.
(1) A registered owner may apply to the department for special license plates showing the official amateur radio call letters assigned by the federal communications commission. The amateur radio operator must:
(a) Provide a copy of the current valid federal communications commission amateur radio license;
(b) Pay the amateur radio license plate fee required under *RCW 46.17.220(1)(a), in addition to any other fees and taxes due; and
(c) Be recorded as the registered owner of the vehicle on which the amateur radio license plates will be displayed.
(2) Amateur radio license plates must be issued only for motor vehicles owned by persons who have a valid official radio operator license issued by the federal communications commission.
(3) The department shall not issue or may refuse to issue amateur radio license plates that display the consecutive letters "WSP."
(4) A person who has been issued amateur radio operator license plates as provided in this section must:
(a) Notify the department within thirty days after the federal communications commission license assigned is canceled or expires, and return the amateur radio license plates; and
(b) Provide a copy of the renewed federal communications commission license to the department after it is renewed.
(5) Amateur radio license plates may be transferred from one motor vehicle to another motor vehicle owned by the amateur radio operator upon application to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director.
(6) Facilities of official amateur radio stations may be utilized to the fullest extent in the work of governmental agencies. The director shall furnish the state military department, the department of commerce, the Washington state patrol, and all county sheriffs a list of the names, addresses, and license plate or official amateur radio call letters of each person possessing the amateur radio license plates.
(7) Failure to return the amateur radio license plates as required under subsection (4) of this section is a traffic infraction.
[ 2010 c 161 § 616.]
*Reviser's note: RCW 46.17.220 was amended by 2012 c 65 § 4, changing subsection (1)(a) to subsection (1)(b), effective January 1, 2013.
Effective date—Intent—Legislation to reconcile chapter 161, Laws of 2010 and other amendments made during the 2010 legislative session—2010 c 161: See notes following RCW 46.04.013.