2005 Revised Code of Washington - Chapter 85.08 RCW: Diking, drainage, and sewerage improvement districts
- 85.08.010 Definitions.
- 85.08.015 Certain powers and rights governed by chapter 85.38 RCW.
- 85.08.025 Voting rights.
- 85.08.190 Eminent domain -- Consolidation of actions.
- 85.08.200 Verdict to fix damages and benefits -- Judgment.
- 85.08.210 Warrant for damages.
- 85.08.220 Construction to be directed, when.
- 85.08.230 Levy for preliminary expenses -- Collection -- "Preliminary expenses" defined.
- 85.08.285 Special assessment bonds.
- 85.08.300 Supervisors -- Election -- Duties.
- 85.08.305 Supervisors -- Terms of office -- County engineer to act as supervisor.
- 85.08.310 Construction of improvements -- Contracts with United States.
- 85.08.320 Costs paid by voucher, payroll, or warrant -- Temporary warrants -- Priority -- Compensation and expenses of officers and employees.
- 85.08.340 Crossing roads or public utilities -- Procedure -- Costs.
- 85.08.360 Total costs -- Apportionment -- Board of appraisers.
- 85.08.370 Benefits to public roads, sewer systems -- Apportionment of cost against city, county and state.
- 85.08.375 Benefits to state lands -- Apportionment of costs.
- 85.08.380 Benefits to and protection from irrigation system.
- 85.08.385 Drainage ditches along highway, etc.
- 85.08.390 Schedule of property and benefits -- Filing.
- 85.08.400 Hearing on schedule -- Notice -- Levy of assessment -- State lands.
- 85.08.410 Schedule approved or modified -- Maintenance assessment.
- 85.08.420 Assessment roll -- Form -- Notice -- Publication.
- 85.08.430 Payment of assessments -- Interest -- Lien.
- 85.08.440 Appeal from apportionment -- Procedure -- Appellate review.
- 85.08.450 Regularity and validity of proceedings conclusive.
- 85.08.460 District liable on judgments -- Supplemental levy.
- 85.08.470 District funds.
- 85.08.480 Collection of assessments -- Certificates of delinquency -- Foreclosure.
- 85.08.490 Title acquired at sale -- Foreclosure for general taxes -- Lien of assessments preserved.
- 85.08.500 Resale or lease by county -- Disposition of proceeds -- Tax statements.
- 85.08.510 Invalid levy -- Reassessment.
- 85.08.520 Supplemental assessments.
- 85.08.530 Levies against county, city or town, how paid.
- 85.08.540 Abandonment or change in system -- Subdistricts.
- 85.08.560 Extension of existing system -- Apportionment of cost.
- 85.08.565 Special assessments -- Budgets -- Alternative methods.
- 85.08.570 Districts in two or more counties -- Notice -- Hearings.
- 85.08.630 Waters developed -- Defined -- Disposal of.
- 85.08.640 Waters developed -- Contracts for use and sale.
- 85.08.650 Waters developed -- Application for use.
- 85.08.660 Waters developed -- Notice of hearing -- Form of application -- Bond.
- 85.08.670 Prosecuting attorney -- Duties.
- 85.08.680 Rules and regulations.
- 85.08.690 Penalty for injury to or interference with improvement.
- 85.08.820 Drainage bonds owned by state -- Cancellation of interest and assessments -- Levy omitted.
- 85.08.830 Merger of improvement district with irrigation district -- Authorized.
- 85.08.840 Merger of improvement district with irrigation district -- Jurisdiction to hear, supervise and conduct proceedings -- Clerk, notice, records.
- 85.08.850 Merger of improvement district with irrigation district -- Petition -- Signing -- Presentation.
- 85.08.860 Merger of improvement district with irrigation district -- Assent by irrigation district -- Election, order, notice.
- 85.08.870 Merger of improvement district with irrigation district -- Notice, contents -- Election, ballots.
- 85.08.880 Merger of improvement district with irrigation district -- Proceedings and costs on approval or disapproval.
- 85.08.890 Merger of improvement district with irrigation district -- Prior indebtedness.
- 85.08.895 Annexation of territory -- Consolidation of special districts -- Suspension of operations -- Reactivation.
- 85.08.900 Alternative methods of formation of improvement districts.
- 85.08.905 Sewerage improvement districts -- Powers.
- 85.08.910 Sewerage improvement districts located in counties with populations of from forty thousand to less than seventy thousand become water-sewer districts.
- 85.08.920 Sewerage improvement districts operating as sewer districts become water-sewer districts -- Procedure.
| Reviser's note: Chapter
85.08 RCW is almost entirely composed of chapter 176, Laws of 1913, the basic drainage improvement district act, as it has been amended and added to by subsequent legislation. Chapter 130, Laws of 1917 and chapter 157, Laws of 1921 are primarily express amendments to such basic act, however, also contained in such acts were several sections not expressly amendatory of the basic act but which are in pari materia therewith; therefore, such other sections are also codified in this chapter. Further, RCW
85.08.820 contains an independent session law which is in pari materia and so closely connected with the subject matter of this chapter that it has been codified herein. Thus, throughout chapter
85.08 RCW the term "this act" has been translated to read "this chapter" unless because of peculiar circumstances other treatment is required in which case it is specially noted.|
Repeal and saving (1913 c 176 § 39): "Sec. 39. Chapter LXVI of the Laws of 1901 is hereby repealed, saving and excepting, however, that the provisions of said act shall continue in force and effect and shall be applicable to and shall govern all proceedings, rights and powers, in the case of ditches already contracted for, or under construction under said act, and in the case of the maintenance of the same for the current year 1913; and the method of supervision, construction, payment for the work, apportionment of costs, and assessment and collection thereof, delinquency and foreclosing thereof and penalties therefor, and all other proceedings in regard to the same, shall be as in said chapter LXVI of Laws of 1901 prescribed: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That with the consent of the holders of warrants heretofore issued or hereafter issued for work already begun or contracted for under said act, or with the consent of the contractor engaged in constructing any ditch or drainage system under said act, the provisions of this act in regard to the funding of such warrants with bonds, or the payment for work with bonds and the issuance and sale thereof, and all provisions in regard to such issuing of bonds, shall be applicable to such outstanding warrants or work already begun or contracts let for work. And in such event and to the extent of the costs so acquiesced in by warrant holders or contractors, all the provisions of this act in regard to the method of payment, form, issuing and sale, of bonds and warrants, extension of the assessment over a term of years, collecting, delinquency, interest and foreclosure of the assessments, and all other proceedings in regard thereto shall be as in this act provided. In such event the county commissioners shall prescribe the method and time of payment of the assessments and whether bonds shall be issued and perform any other proper act in regard to the same, at a special meeting called for that purpose, or at the hearing on the apportionment of costs provided for in section 30 hereof.
Applicability of prior laws (1913 c 176 § 40): "Sec. 40. Except as specified in the foregoing section, all of the provisions of this act, instead of said chapter LXVI of the Laws of 1901, shall be applicable to and shall govern and be the law in all respects, in regard to all ditches and drainage systems now existing, initiated or applied for under said chapter LXVI of the Laws of 1901, and all powers hereby vested in or granted to all boards and officers under this act shall be vested in such boards and officers that shall hereafter have charge of the work, or administering of the affairs of such ditches and drainage systems, and the districts in which they lie."
Severability (1913 c 176 § 41): "Sec. 41. An adjudication that any section, paragraph, or portion of this act, or any provision thereof, or proceeding provided for therein, is unconstitutional or invalid shall not affect or determine the constitutionality, or validity, of this act as a whole or of any other portion or provisions thereof, and all provisions of this act not adjudicated to be unconstitutional shall be and remain in full force and effect and shall be operative until specifically adjudicated to be unconstitutional or invalid."
Dissolution of inactive special purpose districts: Chapter 36.96 RCW.
Local governmental organizations, actions affecting boundaries, etc., review by boundary review boards: Chapter 36.93 RCW.
Special district creation and operation: Chapter 85.38 RCW.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Washington may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.