2017 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 31 - Housing and Redevelopment
CHAPTER 3 - HOUSING AUTHORITIES LAW
ARTICLE 1 General Provisions
- Section 31-3-10. Short title.
- Section 31-3-20. Definitions.
- Section 31-3-30. Declaration of public interest.
- Section 31-3-40. Cooperation of two or more housing authorities.
- Section 31-3-50. Verification of eligibility for public housing program by obtaining information from Department of Revenue and Employment Security Commission; method of request and response.
ARTICLE 5 City Housing Authorities
- Section 31-3-310. Cities empowered to create housing authorities.
- Section 31-3-320. Resolution of council required for creation of authority.
- Section 31-3-330. Resolution conclusive as to establishment; certificate as evidence thereof.
- Section 31-3-340. Commissioners.
- Section 31-3-350. Compensation of commissioners.
- Section 31-3-360. Personal interest of commissioners or employees in projects or property prohibited.
- Section 31-3-370. Removal of commissioners.
- Section 31-3-380. Organization; quorum; officers and employees.
- Section 31-3-390. Territorial jurisdiction.
- Section 31-3-400. Extraterritorial powers.
- Section 31-3-410. Public hearing and findings prerequisite to exercise of extraterritorial powers.
- Section 31-3-420. Consent required from housing authority having outstanding indebtedness or obligations before other housing authority may undertake project in municipality.
- Section 31-3-430. Powers of authority vested in commissioners.
- Section 31-3-440. General corporate powers.
- Section 31-3-450. Specific powers with respect to projects, planning, and the like.
- Section 31-3-460. Acquisitions by purchase or eminent domain.
- Section 31-3-500. Disposition of surplus real property.
- Section 31-3-510. Studies and investigations; dissemination of information.
- Section 31-3-520. Power of examination; subpoenaing witnesses and production of books and records.
- Section 31-3-530. Management and operation of housing projects; profits unlawful.
- Section 31-3-540. Rental and tenant selections.
- Section 31-3-545. Procedures for payment of rent.
- Section 31-3-550. Foreclosure frees projects from restrictions.
- Section 31-3-560. Protection of deposits.
- Section 31-3-570. Tax exemption; payments in lieu of taxes.
- Section 31-3-580. Projects subject to planning, zoning and other laws.
- Section 31-3-590. Provisions affecting other public bodies not applicable.
- Section 31-3-600. Books and records.
ARTICLE 7 County Housing Authorities
- Section 31-3-710. Counties empowered to create housing authorities.
- Section 31-3-720. Resolution of legislative delegation required for creation of authority.
- Section 31-3-730. Functions, rights, powers, duties, and liabilities of authorities.
- Section 31-3-740. Delegation and Senator authorized to perform functions of council and mayor.
- Section 31-3-750. Territorial jurisdiction.
- Section 31-3-760. Territorial jurisdiction of authority may include city.
- Section 31-3-770. Creation of authority in excluded county.
- Section 31-3-780. Performance of functions of legislative delegation, council, and mayor in county which has withdrawn from regional housing authority.
ARTICLE 9 Regional Housing Authorities
- Section 31-3-910. Creation of regional housing authorities.
- Section 31-3-920. Effect of outstanding obligations of county housing authority upon creation of regional housing authority.
- Section 31-3-930. Findings prerequisite to creation of regional housing authority.
- Section 31-3-940. Resolutions conclusive as to establishment; certificate as evidence thereof.
- Section 31-3-950. Effect of creation of regional housing authority on rights, contracts, agreements, obligations, and property of county housing authority.
- Section 31-3-960. Appointment of commissioners.
- Section 31-3-970. Qualifications of commissioners.
- Section 31-3-980. Terms of office of commissioners.
- Section 31-3-990. Removal of commissioners.
- Section 31-3-1000. Quorum; right to hold and location of meetings.
- Section 31-3-1010. Area of operation.
- Section 31-3-1020. Increase of area of operation.
- Section 31-3-1030. Consent of county housing authority having outstanding obligations required as prerequisite to increase of area of operation.
- Section 31-3-1040. Findings prerequisite to increase of area of operation.
- Section 31-3-1050. Effect of increase of area of operation on property, obligations, and the like of county authority.
- Section 31-3-1060. Decrease of area of operation.
- Section 31-3-1070. Consent of all holders of evidences of indebtedness prerequisite to decrease of area of operation.
- Section 31-3-1080. Findings prerequisite to decrease of area of operation.
- Section 31-3-1090. Withdrawal of county from regional housing authority and creation of county housing authority; notice and hearing.
- Section 31-3-1100. Circumstances precluding withdrawal of county from regional housing authority; assumption of share of obligations of regional authority.
- Section 31-3-1110. Assumption of obligations by county of regional authority disclosed subsequent to withdrawal.
- Section 31-3-1120. Effect when area of operation is decreased to one county.
- Section 31-3-1130. Disposition of property in excluded county.
- Section 31-3-1140. Hearings prerequisite to creation or change of regional housing authority.
- Section 31-3-1150. Functions, rights, powers, and duties of regional housing authority.
- Section 31-3-1160. Books, records, and accounts open to inspection; reports.
ARTICLE 11 Consolidated Housing Authorities
- Section 31-3-1310. Construction of terms in provisions relating to regional housing authorities.
- Section 31-3-1320. Creation of consolidated housing authority.
- Section 31-3-1330. Prerequisite to creation.
- Section 31-3-1340. Applicability of provisions governing regional housing authorities.
- Section 31-3-1350. Area of operation.
- Section 31-3-1360. Functions, rights, powers, and the like of authority.
ARTICLE 13 Loans, Grants, Bonds, and Other Financial Matters
- Section 31-3-1510. Loans or grants from Federal agencies.
- Section 31-3-1520. Provisions in contracts with United States.
- Section 31-3-1530. Agreement limiting powers in connection with governmental loans or grants.
- Section 31-3-1540. Minimum wages and maximum hours.
- Section 31-3-1550. Agreements for supervision and control of project by State or Federal Government.
- Section 31-3-1560. Issuance of bonds; security therefor.
- Section 31-3-1570. Terms of bonds; negotiability.
- Section 31-3-1580. Provisions of bonds, trust indentures, and mortgages.
- Section 31-3-1590. Covenant as to extent of area of operation.
- Section 31-3-1600. Effect of recital in bond of purpose of issuance.
- Section 31-3-1610. Tax exemption of bonds, notes, etc.
- Section 31-3-1620. Sale of bonds.
- Section 31-3-1630. Bonds or other obligations as investments.
- Section 31-3-1640. Validity of bond signed by commissioner or officer leaving office before delivery.
- Section 31-3-1650. Personal liability on bonds; bonds shall not constitute "indebtedness".
- Section 31-3-1660. Remedies of obligee of housing authority.
- Section 31-3-1670. Additional remedies conferrable on obligee.
- Section 31-3-1680. Debt insurance.
- Section 31-3-1690. Relationship with State Fiscal Accountability Authority.
ARTICLE 15 Housing in Rural Areas
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.