2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Chapter 257 - MOTOR VEHICLES
Act 300 of 1949 - MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (257.1 - 257.923)
300-1949-VI - CHAPTER VI OBEDIENCE TO AND EFFECT OF TRAFFIC LAWS (257.601...257.750)
300-1949-VI-SIZE-WEIGHT-AND-LOAD - SIZE, WEIGHT AND LOAD (257.716...257.750)
Act 300 of 1949 SIZE, WEIGHT AND LOAD
- Section 257.716 - Exceeding size and weight limitations as misdemeanor; exceptions; rules; operation of wrecker, disabled vehicle, and trailer; noncompliance; fine.
- Section 257.717 - Maximum permissible width of vehicle or load; operation or movement of implement of husbandry; extension beyond center line of highway; permit; designation of highway for operation of vehicle or vehicle combination; special permit; boat lift or trailer; violation as civil infraction; charging owner.
- Section 257.718 - Width of load carried on passenger type vehicle; violation as civil infraction.
- Section 257.719 - Height of vehicle; liability for damage to bridge or viaduct; normal length maximum; prohibitions; connecting assemblies and lighting devices; gross weight; violation as civil infraction; applicability of subsections (2)(a) and (3)(b); definitions.
- Section 257.719a - Operation of towing vehicle to which mobile home or park model trailer attached.
- Section 257.719b - Certain mobile homes transported in lower peninsula; additional requirements.
- Section 257.719c - Truck and semitrailers used for transporting passengers for sightseeing purposes.
- Section 257.720 - Construction or loading of vehicles to prevent contents from escaping; exception; closing tailgates, faucets, and taps; exemption; proof of violation; loading of vehicles not completely enclosed; prima facie liability; exceptions; front end loading device; violation; penalty; "logs" defined.
- Section 257.721 - Passenger vehicle or pickup truck towing vehicle or trailer; drawbar or other connection; coupling devices and safety chains; pickup truck with fifth wheel assembly; conditions for towing additional trailer or semitrailer; speed limit requirements; violation as civil infraction.
- Section 257.722 - Maximum axle load; normal loading maximum; designating highways as adequate for heavier loading; restrictions as to tandem axle assemblies; exceptions; public utility vehicles; normal size of tires; maximum wheel load; reduction of maximum axle load on concrete pavements during March, April, and May; exemptions; suspension of restrictions; determination of gross vehicle weight and axle weights; designation of highways for operation of certain vehicles; definitions.
- Section 257.722a - Transporting flammable liquid; violation as misdemeanor; penalty; enforcement; “in bulk” defined; vehicles transporting hazardous materials.
- Section 257.723 - Commercial vehicles with certain weight and towing or platform bed wrecker road service vehicles; identification requirements; compliance; exception; violation as civil infraction.
- Section 257.724 - Stopping vehicle for weighing; shifting or removing load; civil fine and costs; moving vehicle to place of safekeeping; impoundment; lien; foreclosure sale; powers of authorized agent; unlawful weight as civil infraction; fine; driving duly marked vehicle; failure to stop as misdemeanor.
- Section 257.724a - Axle weight requirements; exception; weight after lift axles lowered; "lift axle" defined.
- Section 257.725 - Special permit for certain vehicles and loads required; fees; “jurisdictional authority” defined.
- Section 257.725a - Transportation of farm machinery or implements by dealer; annual permit; condition.
- Section 257.726 - Prohibitions, limitations, or truck route designations by local authorities and county road commissions; signs; written objection by adjoining township; violation as civil infraction.
- Section 257.726a - Enforcement of act on boundary streets or highways.
- Section 257.726b - Violation as to load, weight, or height of vehicle or load; powers of police officer.
- Section 257.726c - Duly authorized agent of county road commission; shoulder patch required; firearm.
- Section 257.727 - Arrest without warrant; arraignment by magistrate or family division of circuit court.
- Section 257.727.amended - Arrest without warrant; arraignment by magistrate or family division of circuit court.
- Section 257.727a - Repealed. 1979, Act 66, Eff. Aug. 1, 1979.
- Section 257.727b - Citation books; issuance; receipt.
- Section 257.727c - “Citation” defined; numbering, form, and parts of citation; modification and optional use of citation; complaint signed by police officer as made under oath; conditions.
- Section 257.728 - Arrest without warrant; preparation and contents of citation; informing offender of violation; arraignment before magistrate or probate court; appearance; guaranteed appearance certificate or deposit; fees; violation by officer or magistrate; issuance of citation to operator involved in accident; issuance of citation to person operating commercial motor vehicle.
- Section 257.728a - Citation; delivery of copies to police chief or duly authorized person; deposit of original with court; mailing original to court; spoiled, mutilated, or voided citation; criminal complaint.
- Section 257.728b - Establishment of procedures to insure accountability; maintenance of citation records.
- Section 257.728c - Audit of citation records.
- Section 257.728d - Falsification of citation or record of issuance; penalty.
- Section 257.728e - Accepting plea; signing of complaint; filing sworn complaint; warrant for arrest.
- Section 257.729 - Fine and costs.
- Section 257.730 - Provisions governing arrests without warrant and issuance of citations; execution of warrant.
- Section 257.731 - Evidence of conviction or civil infraction determination inadmissible in civil action.
- Section 257.732 - Record of cases; forwarding abstract of record or report to secretary of state; settlement; abstracts forwarded; statements; noncompliance as misconduct in office; location and public inspection of abstracts; entering abstracts on master driving record; exceptions; informing courts of violations; entering order of reversal in book or index; modifications; abstract as part of written notice to appear; expunction prohibited.
- Section 257.732a - Driver responsibility fee; assessment; notice; payment by installment; failure to pay fee; fire protection fund; creation; disposition of funds; transmission of fees to state treasurer; appropriation.
- Section 257.732a.amended - Driver responsibility fee; assessment; notice; payment by installment; failure to pay fee; reinstatement; fire protection fund; creation; disposition of funds; transmission of funds to state treasurer.
- Section 257.732a.amended - Driver responsibility fee; assessment; notice; payment by installment; failure to pay fee; fire protection fund; creation; disposition of funds; transmission of fees to state treasurer; appropriation.
- Section 257.733 - Release of accident information to nongovernmental agency.
- Section 257.733.amended - Release of accident information to nongovernmental agency; exception.
- Section 257.741 - Civil infraction action as civil action; commencement; plaintiff; jurisdiction; time and place for appearance; venue.
- Section 257.742 - Stopping, detaining, and issuing citation for civil infraction; pursuing, stopping, and detaining person outside village, city, township, or county; purpose; violation as to load, weight, height, length, or width of vehicle or load; powers of police officer; issuing citation to driver of motor vehicle; form of citation; informing person of alleged civil infraction; delivering copy of citation to alleged offender; issuing, serving, and processing citations for parking and standing violations; filing citation with court; “parking violation notice” and “parking violations bureau” defined.
- Section 257.743 - Contents of citation issued pursuant to MCL 257.742; timely appearance.
- Section 257.744 - Admissions or denials; sworn complaint; warrant for arrest.
- Section 257.744a - Police officer knowingly making materially false statement in citation as perjury; felony; penalty; contempt of court.
- Section 257.745 - Responding to allegations in citation; appearance in person, by representation, or by mail; admission of responsibility; acceptance of admission; denial of responsibility; scheduling of informal or formal hearing.
- Section 257.746 - Informal hearing; procedure.
- Section 257.747 - Formal hearing; procedure.
- Section 257.748 - Default judgment; suspension of license.
- Section 257.749 - Stopping nonresident for civil infraction; taking operator's or chauffeur's license as security for appearance; delivery of license to court, police chief, or authorized person; depositing driver's license and citation with court; contempt; arrest; guaranteed appearance certificate or deposit; answering before magistrate; return or retention of license; receipt; failure to deliver money deposited as embezzlement; default judgment; forfeiture of certificate or money deposited; “guaranteed appearance certificate” defined.
- Section 257.750 - Issuance of citations; number as factor in evaluation of police officer's performance; applicability of MCL 257.901; fees prohibited; violation of MCL 257.749 as misconduct in office; removal.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.