2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
STATE TRUNK LINE HIGHWAY SYSTEM
Chapter 247 - HIGHWAYS
Act 51 of 1951 - STATE TRUNK LINE HIGHWAY SYSTEM (247.651 - 247.675)
Act 51 of 1951
AN ACT to provide for the classification of all public roads, streets, and highways in this state, and for the revision of that classification and for additions to and deletions from each classification; to set up and establish the Michigan transportation fund; to provide for the deposits in the Michigan transportation fund of specific taxes on motor vehicles and motor vehicle fuels; to provide for the allocation of funds from the Michigan transportation fund and the use and administration of the fund for transportation purposes; to promote safe and efficient travel for motor vehicle drivers, bicyclists, pedestrians, and other legal users of roads, streets, and highways; to set up and establish the truck safety fund; to provide for the allocation of funds from the truck safety fund and administration of the fund for truck safety purposes; to set up and establish the Michigan truck safety commission; to establish certain standards for road contracts for certain businesses; to provide for the continuing review of transportation needs within the state; to authorize the state transportation commission, counties, cities, and villages to borrow money, issue bonds, and make pledges of funds for transportation purposes; to authorize counties to advance funds for the payment of deficiencies necessary for the payment of bonds issued under this act; to provide for the limitations, payment, retirement, and security of the bonds and pledges; to provide for appropriations and tax levies by counties and townships for county roads; to authorize contributions by townships for county roads; to provide for the establishment and administration of the state trunk line fund, local bridge fund, comprehensive transportation fund, and certain other funds; to provide for the deposits in the state trunk line fund, critical bridge fund, comprehensive transportation fund, and certain other funds of money raised by specific taxes and fees; to provide for definitions of public transportation functions and criteria; to define the purposes for which Michigan transportation funds may be allocated; to provide for Michigan transportation fund grants; to provide for review and approval of transportation programs; to provide for submission of annual legislative requests and reports; to provide for the establishment and functions of certain advisory entities; to provide for conditions for grants; to provide for the issuance of bonds and notes for transportation purposes; to provide for the powers and duties of certain state and local agencies and officials; to provide for the making of loans for transportation purposes by the state transportation department and for the receipt and repayment by local units and agencies of those loans from certain specified sources; and to repeal acts and parts of acts.
History: 1951, Act 51, Eff. June 1, 1951 ;-- Am. 1953, Act 86, Imd. Eff. May 18, 1953 ;-- Am. 1957, Act 262, Eff. July 1, 1957 ;-- Am. 1975, Act 195, Imd. Eff. Aug. 13, 1975 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 444, Imd. Eff. Oct. 10, 1978 ;-- Am. 1982, Act 438, Eff. Jan. 1, 1983 ;-- Am. 1983, Act 82, Imd. Eff. June 15, 1983 ;-- Am. 1988, Act 348, Imd. Eff. Oct. 25, 1988 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 223, Imd. Eff. Oct. 15, 1992 ;-- Am. 1997, Act 79, Eff. July 28, 1997 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 384, Imd. Eff. Oct. 12, 2004 ;-- Am. 2010, Act 135, Imd. Eff. Aug. 2, 2010
Popular Name: McNitt Act
Popular Name: Michigan Transportation Fund Act
- Section 247.651 - State trunk line highway system; additions and deletions; designation and reservation of high-occupancy vehicle lanes.
- Section 247.651a - State trunk line highway system; construction, maintenance, improvement; control of state highway commissioner; change in line of road.
- Section 247.651b - Cost of maintaining state trunk line highways; preservation of aesthetic and historic character of abutting national historic landmark; service plaza prohibited.
- Section 247.651c - Cost of opening, widening, and improving state trunk line highways.
- Section 247.651d - Contract for joint participation in cost; approval; renegotiation; local taxation; bonds; special assessment.
- Section 247.651e - Contract with city or village for joint participation in cost; assumption by board of county road commissioners, approval.
- Section 247.651f - State trunk lines; cancellation of municipal obligations; assumption by state.
- Section 247.651g - Pavement management system.
- Section 247.651h - Life-cycle cost analysis; "life-cycle cost" defined; use of historical and comparable data from other states.
- Section 247.651i - Demonstration projects.
- Section 247.652 - Tentative system of county primary roads; selection and certification; check and review; approval; county primary road system.
- Section 247.653 - Tentative system of county primary roads; roads included or deleted.
- Section 247.654 - Tentative system of county primary roads; roads under jurisdiction of county road commissioners; certification and review.
- Section 247.655 - Tentative system of county primary roads; official name; establishment, certification, and approval.
- Section 247.655a - Seasonal county road system.
- Section 247.656 - Tentative system of streets; selection and certification; approval.
- Section 247.657 - Tentative system of streets; included or deleted.
- Section 247.658 - Tentative system of streets; streets not included, certification and approval.
- Section 247.659 - Tentative system of streets; official name; establishment and certification.
- Section 247.659a - Definitions; transportation asset management council; creation; charge; membership; appointments; staff and technical assistance; requirements and procedures; technical advisory panel; report including multiyear program; funding; records on road and bridge work performed and funds expended; report.
- Section 247.659b - Contracts to construct or repair roads or bridges; assistance to minority business enterprises; notice to legislative committees; definitions; other duties of department.
- Section 247.659c - Review of adequacy of surface transportation and aeronautics service provision and finance; appointment of task force by governor; duties; membership; citizens advisory committee; creation; purpose; technical staff and administrative support; focus of task force; report and recommendations.
- Section 247.660 - Michigan transportation fund; establishment; use of money appropriated; programs; allocation to transportation economic development fund; transfer of funds to state trunk line fund; creation of local bridge fund and regional bridge councils; report; rules; selection of bridge projects for funding; availability of list to interested parties; implementation of bridge project; conditions.
- Section 247.660a - Transferred mileage; worth per mile of county primary and local roads; determination of money to be transferred; jurisdictional transfers made after July 1, 1992; construction of subsections (4) and (5); transfer of funds included in appropriation.
- Section 247.660b - Comprehensive transportation fund.
- Section 247.660c - Definitions.
- Section 247.660d - Comprehensive transportation fund; distribution.
- Section 247.660e - Comprehensive transportation fund; appropriation and expenditure; order of priority; capital grants; instructions; submission of local transportation program to department; department transportation program; proposed state transportation program; action by commission; approval of projects; agreement; approval of multiyear public transportation program; grant-in-aid instrument; audits; source of funds for payment of eligible capital projects, local bus new services, and intercity passenger operating assistance projects; use of vehicle purchased, leased, or rented; demand actuated service; plan; exceptions; annual report; appropriation.
- Section 247.660f - Repealed. 1982, Act 438, Eff. Jan. 1, 1983.
- Section 247.660g - Rules.
- Section 247.660h - Report by state transportation commission to legislature, governor, and auditor general; contents; audit of financial transactions and accounts related to certain distributions from comprehensive transportation fund; cost; submission of audit report and management letter to department; minimum audit standards and requirements; task force.
- Section 247.660i - Repealed. 1978, Act 444, Imd. Eff. Oct. 10, 1978.
- Section 247.660j - Ineligibility for grant or distribution; accrued pension or retirement liabilities.
- Section 247.660k - Nonmotorized transportation services and facilities; expenditures; improvements as qualified nonmotorized facility; meeting requirements of section; 5-year program; notice and consultation; establishment of facilities; information and assistance as to planning, design, and construction.
- Section 247.660 - Return of money as credit to cities, villages, and townships; expenditure of credit; use of unexpended credit; final decision; expenditure by county as condition prohibited; coordination of services; “operating deficit” defined.
- Section 247.660m - Schedule.
- Section 247.660n - Comprehensive transportation fund; distribution of funds; notes.
- Section 247.660o - Allocation of federal funds to local jurisdictions; distributions.
- Section 247.660p - Definitions; complete streets policy; duties of state transportation commission; consultation by department or county road agency with municipality; agreements for maintenance of transportation facilities; complete streets advisory council; creation; membership; appointment; terms; vacancy; removal; meetings; election of officers; quorum; voting; business conducted at public meeting; writings; compensation; duties of advisory council.
- Section 247.661 - State trunk line fund; separate fund; appropriation; purposes; order of priority; expenditures; deductions; borrowing by county road commissions, cities, and villages; limitation; approval; notice; borrowing by state transportation commission; procedures for implementation and administration of loan program; expenditure for administrative expenses; conduct of performance audits; revised municipal finance act inadmissible; definition.
- Section 247.661a - Repealed. 1987, Act 234, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 1987.
- Section 247.661b - Repealed. 2004, Act 384, Imd. Eff. Oct. 12, 2004.
- Section 247.661c - Construction and maintenance projects to be performed by contract awarded by competitive bidding; other method; findings; report.
- Section 247.661d - Report to legislature on changes in department's accounting system.
- Section 247.661e - Local program fund; creation; purpose; distribution of funds; local federal match program; use.
- Section 247.661f - Funds received under local federal match program; projects; submission; grant awards; criteria; unused bond proceeds; reports; distribution of remaining funds; additional criteria.
- Section 247.662 - Return to county treasurers of amount distributed to county road commissions; manner, purposes, terms, and conditions; statewide purchasing pools; expenditures; definitions; certification concerning average annual debt service requirements for bonds or notes; representation of charter county in certain transactions; expenditure for administrative expenses; conduct of performance audits.
- Section 247.662a - Snow removal; distribution of amount returned to county road commission.
- Section 247.662b - County urban system; distribution of amounts returned; urban area boundaries.
- Section 247.662c - Placing county primary road under jurisdiction of city or village; request; response by county road commission; appeal; hearing; determination.
- Section 247.663 - Return of distribution to city and village treasurers; manner, purpose, terms, and conditions; report.
- Section 247.663a - Acquisition of private property within right of way of highway project; expenditure of revenue.
- Section 247.663b - Contracts between county road commissions for purchase or use of equipment or machinery.
- Section 247.664 - Biennial primary road and major street programs; separate accounts; records; annual report; expenditures for administration, engineering, and record keeping; effect of noncompliance; responsibility of state for local county road support; additional funds.
- Section 247.664a - Expenditures to pay cost of drain assessments; rules.
- Section 247.665 - Reports showing disposition of funds appropriated, apportioned, or allocated; other information.
- Section 247.665a - Intergovernmental highway corridor planning preservation committees.
- Section 247.665b - Mowing right-of-way of public road.
- Section 247.666 - Forfeiture of funds.
- Section 247.667 - Certifications required; warrants; checks; mandamus; report.
- Section 247.667a - Office of audit; creation; head; duties, functions, and responsibilities.
- Section 247.668 - Repealed. 1957, Act 262, Eff. July 1, 1957.
- Section 247.668a - Michigan transportation fund; payment of notes, bonds, or other indebtedness; notes and bonds not general obligations of state.
- Section 247.668b - State transportation commission; bonds and notes.
- Section 247.668c - Counties; bonds.
- Section 247.668d - Contracts between governmental units for construction or reconstruction of highways; contributions; pledges; bonds; applicability of revised municipal finance act and agency financing reporting act.
- Section 247.668e - Bonds of governmental unit; maturities; interest; measuring maximum annual principal and interest requirements; certification of state transportation commission concerning average annual debt service requirements for certain obligations; “preservation” defined.
- Section 247.668f - Approval of construction; sale price of bonds.
- Section 247.668g - Bonds; protection of outstanding bonds.
- Section 247.668h - Bonds; negotiability; payment, exemption from taxation.
- Section 247.668i - Cumulative authority of act.
- Section 247.668j - Repealed. 1987, Act 234, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 1987.
- Section 247.668k - List of projects for which notes or bonds to be issued.
- Section 247.668 - Borrowing money and issuing notes or bonds in anticipation of federal funds.
- Section 247.669 - Roads, streets, and alleys taken over as county roads.
- Section 247.670 - Unexpended balances of township funds; appropriation for local road maintenance or improvement; additional powers; snow removal in Marquette county townships.
- Section 247.670a - Contract for preservation of county local road system within township.
- Section 247.671 - Repeal.
- Section 247.672 - Effective date of act.
- Section 247.673 - Effective upon passage of certain act.
- Section 247.674 - Refunding bonds or advance refunding bonds.
- Section 247.675 - Truck safety fund and Michigan truck safety commission; establishment; administration of fund; duty of commission; appointment, qualifications, and terms of commission members; election of chairperson; vacancy; meetings; notice; quorum; expenditure of fund; annual report.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.