2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:1199.9 - Workforce development work release for participants and graduates of program administered by the department
§1199.9. Workforce development work release for participants and graduates of program administered by the department
A. Workforce development work release shall be for inmates who are eligible for work release as provided for in R.S. 15:1199.7. Eligible participants shall produce documentation to support having certification or licensure as a skilled craftsman or who have graduated from the workforce development training program and have been certified or licensed as skilled craftsmen, or who are participating in the workforce development training program and are working toward licensing or certification as a skilled craftsman pursuant to R.S. 15:1199.12.
B. The department shall designate and adapt facilities for the purpose of housing inmates with workforce development work release privileges, or it may arrange and contract for other facilities, including but not limited to portions of parish jails for inmates employed in the area.
C. Every inmate with workforce development work release privileges shall be liable for the cost of his room, board, clothing, and other necessary expenses of his employment or placement unless other means of payment are approved by the department.
D. The wages of any inmate so employed shall be collected by the secretary or his designated agent, shall be deposited in a public banking institution, and a ledger showing the financial status of each inmate on the program shall be kept.
E. The wages of each inmate shall be disbursed by the department for the following purposes and in the order stated:
(1) The expenses for the board of the inmate including food and clothing.
(2) Necessary travel expenses to and from work and other incidental expenses of the inmate.
(3) Any tuition, books, or other costs associated with the program which are required to be paid by participants in the program.
(4) Any necessary fees for the examination for certification or licensing in a craft.
(5) Any certification or licensing fees required to become a skilled craftsman.
(6) Any court-ordered child support owed by the inmate. The support may be paid in installments approved by the department.
(7) Any court-ordered restitution, or restitution owed to the department, or any other obligations acknowledged by the inmate in writing, or which have been reduced to judgment. The obligations may be paid in installments approved by the department.
(8) Any drug testing as required by the provisions of this Part.
(9) The balance, if any, to the inmate upon his discharge.
F. The wages of an inmate so employed shall not be less than the customary wages for an employee performing similar services.
G. Deductions for room, board, and other administrative and incidental costs resulting from participation in a workforce development work release program authorized by this Section shall not exceed seventy percent of the gross wages received by an inmate.
Acts 2008, No. 106, §1, eff. June 6, 2008; Acts 2009, No. 266, §1; Acts 2010, No. 836, §1.