2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:1199.10 - Workforce development work release for participants and graduates of the program administered by the sheriff
§1199.10. Workforce development work release for participants and graduates of the program administered by the sheriff
A. The sheriff of each parish, and in Orleans Parish, the criminal sheriff, is hereby authorized to enter into a cooperative endeavor with the department to administer a workforce development work release program for inmates sentenced to the department who are confined in any jail or prison in his jurisdiction. In the event that the inmate is confined to a parish correctional facility not operated by the sheriff, the administrator of the correctional facility is hereby authorized to enter into a cooperative endeavor with the department to administer a workforce development work release program for inmates sentenced to the department who are confined to a correctional facility in his jurisdiction, and "sheriff" as used herein shall also mean administrator of the correctional facility where the inmate is confined.
B.(1) Inmates sentenced to the department and housed in other facilities as provided for in Subsection A of this Section shall be eligible to participate in workforce development work release pursuant to R.S. 15:1199.12 or a workforce development work release program administered by the sheriff provided the participant produces documentation to support having certification or licensure as a skilled craftsman or has graduated from the workforce development training program and obtained the proper certification or licensing as a skilled craftsman, or is participating in the workforce development training program and is working toward licensing or certification as a skilled craftsman.
(2) Eligibility for participation in workforce development work release as provided by this Section shall be determined by the provisions of this Part and any rules adopted by the department.
(3) Each sheriff may establish additional written rules for the administration of the workforce development work release program administered by his office.
C. The sheriff may enter into contracts with educational institutions, training facilities, and employers to provide the intensive training programs necessary for proper certification or licensing as a skilled craftsman as authorized by the provisions of this Part.
D. Every inmate with workforce development work release privileges shall be liable for the cost of his room, clothing, and other necessary expenses of his employment or placement unless other means of payment are approved by the department.
E. The wages of any inmate so employed shall be collected by the sheriff or his designated agent and shall be deposited in a public banking institution, and a ledger showing the financial status of each inmate shall be kept.
F. The wages of each inmate shall be disbursed by the sheriff for the following purposes and in the order stated:
(1) The expenses of the board of the inmate including food and clothing.
(2) Necessary travel expenses to and from work and other incidental expenses of the inmate.
(3) Any tuition, books, or other costs associated with the program which are required to be paid by participants in the program.
(4) Any necessary fees for the examination for certification or licensing in a craft.
(5) Any certification or licensing fees required to become a skilled craftsman.
(6) Any court-ordered child support owed by the inmate. The support may be paid in installments approved by the department.
(7) Any court-ordered restitution, or restitution owed to the department, or any other obligations acknowledged by the inmate in writing, or which have been reduced to judgment. The obligations may be paid in installments approved by the department.
(8) Any drug testing as required by the provisions of this Part.
(9) The balance, if any, to the inmate upon his discharge.
G. The wages of an inmate so employed shall not be less than the customary wages for an employee performing similar services.
H. Deductions for expenses listed in Subsection F of this Section resulting from participation in a workforce development work release program authorized by this Section shall not exceed seventy-five percent of the wages received by an inmate.
Acts 2008, No. 106, §1, eff. June 6, 2008; Acts 2009, No. 266, §1; Acts 2010, No. 836, §1.