Go to previous versions of this Section
2021 Georgia Code
Title 40 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic
Chapter 6 - Uniform Rules of the Road
Article 3 - Driving on Right Side of Roadway, Overtaking and Passing, Following Too Closely
§ 40-6-46. No-Passing Zones
Universal Citation: GA Code § 40-6-46 (2021)
- The Department of Transportation and local authorities are authorized to determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving to the left side of the roadway would be especially hazardous and may, by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway, indicate the beginning and end of such zones and, when such signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person, every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions thereof. Such no-passing zones shall be clearly marked by a solid barrier line placed on the right-hand element of a combination stripe along the center or lane line or by a solid double yellow line.
- Where signs or markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (a) of this Code section, no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within such no-passing zone or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark such no-passing zone throughout its length.
- This Code section does not apply under the conditions described in paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Code Section 40-6-40 nor to the driver of a vehicle turning left into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.
(Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 60; Ga. L. 1959, p. 144, § 1; Code 1933, § 68A-307, enacted by Ga. L. 1974, p. 633, § 1; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5.)
Am. Jur. 2d.
- 7A Am. Jur. 2d, Automobiles and Highway Traffic, § 251.C.J.S.
- 60A C.J.S., Motor Vehicles, §§ 652, 749, 750.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.