2021 Georgia Code
Title 40 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic
- Chapter 1 - Identification and Regulation [40-1-1 through 40-1-231]
- Chapter 2 - Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicles [40-2-1 through 40-2-168]
- Chapter 3 - Certificates of Title, Security Interests, and Liens [40-3-1 through 40-3-95]
- Chapter 4 - Identification of and Purchase and Resale of Motor Vehicles and Parts [40-4-1 through 40-4-45]
- Chapter 5 - Drivers' Licenses [40-5-1 through 40-5-179]
- Chapter 6 - Uniform Rules of the Road [40-6-1 through 40-6-397]
- Chapter 7 - Off-Road Vehicles [40-7-1 through 40-7-6]
- Chapter 8 - Equipment and Inspection of Motor Vehicles [40-8-1 through 40-8-291]
- Chapter 9 - Reporting Accidents; Giving Proof of Financial Responsibility [40-9-1 through 40-9-103]
- Chapter 10 - Governor's Office of Highway Safety [40-10-1 through 40-10-10]
- Chapter 11 - Abandoned, Derelict, and Civil Forfeiture of Motor Vehicles [40-11-1 through 40-11-24]
- Chapter 12 - Actions Against Nonresident Motorists [40-12-1 through 40-12-8]
- Chapter 13 - Prosecution of Traffic Offenses [40-13-1 through 40-13-64]
- Chapter 14 - Use of Speed Detection Devices and Red Light Cameras [40-14-1 through 40-14-26]
- Chapter 15 - Motorcycle Operator Safety Training Program [40-15-1 through 40-15-5]
- Chapter 16 - Department of Driver Services [40-16-1 through 40-16-8]
- Regulation of retail installment sales of motor vehicles, § 10-1-30 et seq.
Regulation of sales of gasoline and other petroleum products generally, § 10-1-140 et seq.
Size and weight restrictions pertaining to motor vehicles and loads, § 32-6-20 et seq.
Motor vehicle accident insurance, § 33-7-11 and T. 33, C. 34.
Regulation of operation of self-service motor fuel dispensing pumps, § 36-60-1.
Adoption of ordinances and authority to contract for removal of junked motor vehicles, § 36-60-4.
Installation of road grates to accommodate bicycles, § 36-60-5.
Regulation of activities of driver training schools and instructors, T. 43, C. 13.
Regulation of motor vehicle racetracks, T. 43, C. 25.
Regulation of used car and car parts dealers, T. 43, C. 47.
Penalty for unauthorized display of sign, tag, or other documents on motor vehicle so as to convey impression that owner of motor vehicle is member of Governor's staff, § 45-1-3.
Motor carriers, T. 46, C. 7.
Motor fuel taxes, § 48-9-1 et seq.JUDICIAL DECISIONS
Law on motor vehicles and traffic must be strictly construed. O'Steen v. Boone, 117 Ga. App. 174, 160 S.E.2d 229 (1968).Applicability of title to motorcycles.
- Motorcycle is subject to the provisions of the law on motor vehicles and traffic (see now O.C.G.A. T. 40) in general and to those of O.C.G.A. § 40-2-20 in particular. Grange Mut. Cas. Co. v. King, 174 Ga. App. 716, 331 S.E.2d 41 (1985).Motorcycles taxed separately.
- General Assembly, in providing license taxes, separated motorcycles from the general class of motor vehicles. Bullard v. Life & Cas. Ins. Co., 178 Ga. 673, 173 S.E. 855, answer conformed to, 49 Ga. App. 27, 174 S.E. 256 (1934).
Cited in Seaboard Air Line Ry. v. Benton, 175 Ga. 491, 165 S.E. 593 (1932).
OPINIONS OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
Purpose of motor vehicle and traffic law.
- Overall primary purpose of the law on motor vehicles and traffic is to provide for the registration and licensing of motor vehicles, including providing dealers with the convenience of a special tag, transferable at will from vehicle to vehicle. 1954-56 Op. Att'y Gen. p. 473.
- Liability of owner or operator of motor vehicle for injury caused thereby while it is being repaired or serviced, 15 A.L.R.3d 1387.
Criminal liability based on violation of statute or ordinance specifically regulating operation of snowmobile, 45 A.L.R.3d 1438.
Search and seizure: lawfulness of demand for driver's license, vehicle registration, or proof of insurance, pursuant to police stop to assist motorist, 19 A.L.R.5th 884.
Integration or Merger Clause in Vehicle Purchase Agreement or Installment Contract as Affecting Enforceability of Separately Executed Arbitration Clause, 52 A.L.R.7th 3.