2020 Georgia Code
Title 9 - Civil Practice
Chapter 3 - Limitations of Actions
Article 2 - Specific Periods of Limitation
- § 9-3-20. Actions on Foreign Judgments
- § 9-3-21. Proceedings to Set Aside Judgments
- § 9-3-22. Enforcement of Rights Under Statutes, Acts of Incorporation; Recovery of Wages, Overtime, and Damages
- § 9-3-23. Sealed Instruments
- § 9-3-24. Actions on Simple Written Contracts; Exceptions
- § 9-3-25. Open Accounts; Breach of Certain Contracts; Implied Promise; Exception
- § 9-3-26. Other Actions on Contracts; Exception
- § 9-3-27. Actions Against Fiduciaries
- § 9-3-28. Actions by Informers
- § 9-3-29. Breach of Restrictive Covenant
- § 9-3-30. Trespass or Damage to Realty
- § 9-3-30.1. Actions Against Manufacturers or Suppliers of Asbestos or Material Containing Asbestos
- § 9-3-30.2. Actions Against Persons Engaged in Land Surveying
- § 9-3-31. Injuries to Personalty
- § 9-3-32. Accrual of Actions for Recovery of Personal Property or Loss of Timber; Damages for Conversion or Destruction
- § 9-3-33. Injuries to the Person; Injuries to Reputation; Loss of Consortium; Exception
- § 9-3-33.1. Actions for Childhood Sexual Abuse
- § 9-3-34. Article Not Applicable to Malpractice
- § 9-3-35. Actions by Creditor Seeking Relief Under Uniform Voidable Transactions Act
- § 9-3-36. (Effective January 1, 2021) Limitations on Claims Arising Before Decedent's Death
- Time limitation on bringing of actions against counties, § 36-11-1.
Time limitation on actions on bonds given by person handling public funds, § 45-8-9.
Time limitation on bringing of actions against railroad companies for recovery of damages for any wrong or injury inflicted by such companies, § 46-1-2.
Time limitation on bringing of product liability actions, § 51-1-11.
Effect of commencement and service of process statutes.
- By holding that service of process does not relate back to toll statutes of limitations unless the plaintiff has acted diligently, the Georgia courts have interpreted O.C.G.A. §§ 9-11-3 and9-11-4 as integral parts of the state statutes of limitations. Cambridge Mut. Fire Ins. Co. v. City of Claxton, 720 F.2d 1230 (11th Cir. 1983).
- Statute of limitations as applied to certificate of deposit, 23 A.L.R. 7; 128 A.L.R. 157.
Applicability to limitation prescribed by policy of insurance or by special statutory provision in relation to insurance of provisions of statute of limitations extending time or fixing time when action deemed commenced, 23 A.L.R. 97; 149 A.L.R. 483.
Limitation of actions: availability of statute, and time when it begins to run, where one assumes and agrees to pay another's debt, 31 A.L.R. 1056.
When statute of limitations begins to run against action to recover interest, 36 A.L.R. 1085.
When limitation begins to run against action to enforce stockholder's superadded liability, 55 A.L.R. 1068; 137 A.L.R. 788.
When limitation commences to run against action to enforce personal liability of bank officers or directors for receiving deposits after knowledge of bank's unsafe condition, 78 A.L.R. 897.
When statute of limitations begins to run against action to recover upon contract payable in installments, 82 A.L.R. 316.
Liability insurance: limitation of time within which to sue insurer, 83 A.L.R. 748.
Rendition of bank of statement of balance to depositor's credit as starting statute of limitations in respect of amount claimed in excess of balance shown, 87 A.L.R. 344.
When does statute of limitations commence to run against action for breach of covenant against encumbrances, 99 A.L.R. 1050.
When cause of action between master and servant deemed to be upon a liability created by statute within contemplation of statute of limitations, 104 A.L.R. 462.
When does limitation or laches commence to run against suit to reform an instrument, 106 A.L.R. 1338.
When statute of limitation commences to run against an action based on breach of duty by recording officer, 110 A.L.R. 1067.
Action by one not in possession of land to cancel deed upon ground of fraud as within statute of limitations applicable to actions for relief upon ground of fraud, or statute relating to actions for recovery of real property, 118 A.L.R. 199.
Statute of limitation applicable to action to enforce superadded statutory liability of stockholder of bank or other corporation, in absence of limitation provision specifically applicable to such action, 126 A.L.R. 264.
Statute of limitation applicable to suit by creditor to set aside transfers of debtor's property, 128 A.L.R. 1289.
Necessity of introducing evidence dehors written contract as affecting question as to which statute of limitations applies, 129 A.L.R. 603.
Commencement of running of statute of limitations against option or right in nature of option exercisable on demand, 132 A.L.R. 429.
Statute of limitations in respect of action or proceeding to establish right to, or recovery of benefits of, pension, 136 A.L.R. 809.
Statute of limitations as affecting suit to enforce mortgage or lien securing debt payable in installments, 153 A.L.R. 785.
Constitutionality, construction, and application of statutes affecting the rights or remedies of purchasers under antecedent executory contracts for purchase of real property, 153 A.L.R. 1209.
Application of limitation statutes to nonderivative suits based upon wrongs of corporate officers or directors, 174 A.L.R. 1217.
What statute of limitations governs action to reform instrument, 36 A.L.R.2d 687.
What statute of limitations governs action or claim for affirmative relief against usurious obligation or to recover usurious payment, 48 A.L.R.2d 401.
What statute of limitations applies to action under dramshop or civil damage act, 55 A.L.R.2d 1286.
Construction, application, and effect, with reference to statutory causes of action, of statute of forum which admits bar of statute of limitations of other state, 67 A.L.R.2d 216.
Limitation of action: physician's claim for compensation for medical services or treatment, 99 A.L.R.2d 251.
What statute of limitations governs action by contractee for defective or improper performance of work by private building contractor, 1 A.L.R.3d 914.
Validity of contractual time period, shorter than statute of limitations, for bringing action, 6 A.L.R.3d 1197.
Application of statute of limitations to damage actions against public accountants for negligence in performance of professional services, 26 A.L.R.3d 1438.
What statute of limitations covers action for indemnity, 57 A.L.R.3d 833.
What statute of limitations governs action for interference with contract or other economic relations, 58 A.L.R.3d 1027.
What statute of limitations applies to action for surplus of proceeds for sale of collateral, 59 A.L.R.3d 1205.
When statute of limitations begins to run against action to recover money paid by mistake, 79 A.L.R.3d 754.
What statute of limitations governs damage action against attorney for malpractice, 2 A.L.R.4th 284.
Applicability of statute of limitations or doctrine of laches to proceeding to revoke or suspend license to practice medicine, 51 A.L.R.4th 1147.
Application of statute of limitations to actions for breach of duty in performing services of public accountant, 7 A.L.R.5th 852.
Application of statute of limitations in private tort actions based on injury to persons or property caused by underground flow of contaminants, 11 A.L.R.5th 438.
Emotional or psychological "blocking" or repression as tolling running of statute of limitations, 11 A.L.R.5th 588.
What statute of limitations applies to state law action by public sector employee for breach of union's duty of fair representation, 12 A.L.R.5th 950.
Causes of action governed by limitations period in UCC § 2-725, 49 A.L.R.5th 1.