2020 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 2 - Legislative
Article 4. Construction of Statutes
Editor's note: This article was numbered as article 1 of chapter 135, C.R.S. 1963. The substantive provisions of this article were repealed and reenacted in 1973, resulting in the addition, relocation, and elimination of sections as well as subject matter. For amendments to this article prior to 1973, consult the Colorado statutory research explanatory note beginning on page vii in the front of this volume.
Law reviews: For article, "Canons of Statutory Construction", see 46 Colo. Law. 23 (Feb. 2017).
- Section 2-4-101. Common and technical usage.
- Section 2-4-102. Singular and plural.
- Section 2-4-103. Gender.
- Section 2-4-104. Tense.
- Section 2-4-105. Week.
- Section 2-4-106. Month.
- Section 2-4-107. Year.
- Section 2-4-108. Computation of time.
- Section 2-4-109. Standard time - daylight saving time.
- Section 2-4-110. Joint authority.
- Section 2-4-111. Quorum.
- Section 2-4-112. Conflict in the expression of numbers.
- Section 2-4-113. Use of "to" in reference to several sections.
- Section 2-4-114. Introductory portion.
Cross references: For editorial matters from which no implication or presumption of a legislative construction is to be drawn, see § 2-5-113 (4).
- Section 2-4-201. Intentions in the enactment of statutes.
- Section 2-4-202. Statutes presumed prospective.
- Section 2-4-203. Ambiguous statutes - aids in construction.
- Section 2-4-204. Severability of statutory provisions.
- Section 2-4-205. Special or local provision prevails over general.
- Section 2-4-206. Irreconcilable statutes passed at the same or different sessions.
- Section 2-4-207. Original controls over subsequent printing.
- Section 2-4-208. Continuation of prior law.
- Section 2-4-209. Statutory references.
- Section 2-4-210. References in a series. (Repealed)
- Section 2-4-211. Common law of England.
- Section 2-4-212. Liberal construction.
- Section 2-4-213. Form of enacting clause.
- Section 2-4-214. Use of relative and qualifying words and phrases.
- Section 2-4-215. Each general assembly a separate entity - future general assemblies not bound by acts of previous general assemblies.
- Section 2-4-216. Limitations on statutory programs.
- Section 2-4-301. Multiple amendments to the same provision - one without reference to the other.
- Section 2-4-302. Repeal of a repealing statute.
- Section 2-4-303. Penalties and liabilities not released by repeal.