2017 Code of Alabama
Title 13A - CRIMINAL CODE.
Chapter 5 - PUNISHMENTS AND SENTENCES.
Article 2 - Death Penalty and Life Imprisonment Without Parole.
- Section 13A-5-39 - Definitions.
- Section 13A-5-40 - Capital offenses.
- Section 13A-5-41 - Lesser included offenses.
- Section 13A-5-42 - Guilty plea; burden of proof upon state; waiver; sentencing.
- Section 13A-5-43 - Trial of capital offenses; discharge of defendant; lesser included offenses; sentencing.
- Section 13A-5-43.1 - Life imprisonment for certain crimes by persons under 18 years of age.
- Section 13A-5-43.2 - Applicability of certain provisions to persons under 18 years of age.
- Section 13A-5-44 - Jury selection and separation; waiver by defendant of jury participation in sentence hearing.
- Section 13A-5-45 - Sentence hearing - Delay; statements and arguments; admissibility of evidence; burden of proof; mitigating and aggravating circumstances.
- Section 13A-5-46 - Sentence hearing - Conducted before jury unless waived; trial jury to sit unless impossible or impracticable; separation of jury; instructions to jury; advisory verdicts; vote required; mistrial; waiver of right to advisory verdict.
- Section 13A-5-47 - Determination of sentence by court; presentence investigation report; presentation of arguments on aggravating and mitigating circumstances; court to enter written findings; court not bound by sentence recommended by jury.
- Section 13A-5-47.1 - THIS SECTION WAS ASSIGNED BY THE CODE COMMISSIONER IN THE 2017 REGULAR SESSION, EFFECTIVE APRIL 11, 2017. THIS IS NOT IN THE CURRENT CODE SUPPLEMENT.
- Section 13A-5-48 - Process of weighing aggravating and mitigating circumstances defined.
- Section 13A-5-49 - Aggravating circumstances.
- Section 13A-5-50 - Consideration of aggravating circumstances in sentence determination.
- Section 13A-5-51 - Mitigating circumstances - Generally.
- Section 13A-5-52 - Mitigating circumstances - Inclusion of defendant's character, record, etc.
- Section 13A-5-53 - Appellate review of death sentence; scope; remand; specific determinations to be made by court; authority of court following review.
- Section 13A-5-54 - Appointment of experienced counsel for indigent defendants.
- Section 13A-5-55 - Conviction and sentence of death subject to automatic review.
- Section 13A-5-56 - Supreme Court to promulgate indictment forms, verdict forms and jury instructions.
- Section 13A-5-57 - Application of article to conduct after effective date.
- Section 13A-5-58 - Interpretation of article.
- Section 13A-5-59 - Application of article upon finding of unconstitutionality.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.