Mach Mining, LLC v. Sec'y of Labor, Mine Safety & Health Admin., No. 12-3598 (7th Cir. 2013)

Annotate this Case
Justia Opinion Summary

Mach operates an Illinois underground coal mine, using the “longwall” method, which begins with drilling tunnels for ventilation and access. A machine then shears coal from the wall and transports it out of the mine. Mach’s ventilation plan, required by 30 U.S.C. 863(o) involved blowing fresh air into the mine with an exhaust system that pulls out air containing methane, coal dust and particles. There are monitoring points throughout the mine, including at the longwall face and the top of the ventilation shaft. The system was approved for Panels 1 and 2, but not for Panel 3. There is no statutory process for obtaining review of refusal to approve a ventilation plan. Mach notified Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) that it intended to operate without an approved ventilation plan in order to obtain administrative review. MSHA then issued two citations for “technical violations.” An ALJ for the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission refused to consider additional evidence tendered by Mach that had not been presented to the district manager during informal negotiations and concluded that refusal to approve the ventilation plan was not arbitrary and capricious. The Commission affirmed. The Seventh Circuit denied a petition for review.

Download PDF
In the United States Court of Appeals For the Seventh Circuit No. 12 3598 MACH MINING, LLC, Petitioner, v. SECRETARY OF LABOR, MINE SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION, ET AL., Respondents. Petition for Review of an Order of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission Nos. LAKE 2010 1 R, LAKE 2010 2 R, LAKE 2010 714. ARGUED APRIL 15, 2013   DECIDED AUGUST 26, 2013 Before RIPPLE, ROVNER, and WILLIAMS, Circuit Judges. RIPPLE, Circuit Judge. Mach Mining, LLC ( Mach ) operates the Mach No. 1 Mine (the  Mine ), an underground coal mine, near  Johnston  City,  Illinois.  Mach  mines  the  coal  using  the longwall  method, which involves preparing  panels  of coal for  mining  by  drilling  a  series  of  tunnels  to  provide  for ventilation, travel routes and access to the working areas of the mine. Once a panel is ready for mining, the longwall machine 2 No. 12 3598 moves along the panel  shearing  the coal from the wall (much like  a  meat  slicer  in  a  deli)  and  using  a  conveyor  belt  to transport the sheared coal out of the mine. The Mine consists of five panels, at least some of which are over three miles long.  As an underground coal mine operator, Mach is subject to a  significant  number  of  safety  regulations,  including  the requirement  that it adopt a ventilation  plan  suitable to  the conditions  and  the  mining  system  of  the  coal  mine  and approved  by  the  Secretary   of  Labor.  30  U.S.C.  §  863(o).  A mine operator obtains approval by submitting a written plan to, and usually engaging in discussions with, district managers in  the  Mine  Safety  and  Health  Administration  ( MSHA ).  Mach s ventilation plan utilizes a  push pull  system which combines blowing large volumes of fresh air into the mine with an exhaust system that pulls out air containing methane, coal dust and other particles. Mach evaluates the effectiveness of its system by setting up monitoring points throughout the mine, including at the longwall face and at the top of the ventilation shaft.  An  MSHA  district  manager  approved  this  ventilation system for Panels 1 and 2, but refused to grant approval when Mach proposed the same system for Panel 3. Over the course of eight months, Mach and MSHA negotiated approval of the plan for Panel 3. The administrative law judge ( ALJ ) found that the negotiations  included telephone calls, emails, letters and  meetings,  at  both  the  district  and  national  level.   Mach Mining, LLC v. Sec y of Labor, 32 FMSHRC 149, 151 (2010).    MSHA continued to withhold approval of Mach s ventila tion plan for Panel 3, and Mach sought administrative review.  Although the mining statutes establish a formal procedure for obtaining administrative and judicial review of a citation for No. 12 3598 3 failure to observe a mandatory mine safety or health standard, there is no explicit statutory process for obtaining review of a district  manager s  refusal  to  approve  a  ventilation  plan.  Instead,  in  order  to  obtain  review,  mine  operators  follow  a procedure  outlined  in  the  MSHA  policy  manual.  Following that  procedure,1  Mach  notified  MSHA  that  it  intended  to operate without an approved ventilation plan for the purpose of  obtaining  administrative  review.  MSHA  then  issued  two citations for  technical violations  which Mach appealed to the Federal  Mine  Safety  and  Health  Review  Commission  (the Commission ).2  At a hearing, an ALJ for the Commission determined that the  Secretary  had  the  burden  of  proving  that  the  district manager  was  not  arbitrary  and  capricious  in  refusing  to approve  Mach s  ventilation  plan.  The  ALJ  thus  refused  to consider additional evidence tendered by Mach that had not been  presented  to  the  district  manager  during  informal negotiations. Based on the record before her, the ALJ deter mined  that  the  district  manager s  refusal  to  approve  the ventilation plan was not arbitrary and capricious. 1     Program Policy Manual, Vol. V   Coal Mines, MSHA, 3 5 (June 28, 2013), http://www.msha.gov/REGS/COMPLIAN/PPM/PDFVersion/PPM%20Vo l%20V.pdf.  2    The Commission is an independent adjudicative agency created by the Federal  Mine  Safety  and  Health  Amendments  Act  of  1977,  Pub.  L.  No. 95 164, 91 Stat. 1290 (1977) (codified as amended at 30 U.S.C. §§ 801 878) (the  1977 Act ). It provides administrative trial and appellate review of legal disputes arising under the Act. See 30 U.S.C. §§ 815(d), 823(d). We discuss the Commission s role in more detail infra at 12 14. 4 No. 12 3598 A  divided  panel  of  the  Commission  affirmed  the  ALJ s decision.3 As to the proper standard of review, three commis 3    The parties discovered and cured a procedural defect while the case was pending before the Commission. Generally, when the Secretary issues a citation, he provides the mine operator with notice of the citation and later separately  notifies  the  mine  operator  of  the  amount  of  the  proposed penalty. See 30 U.S.C. § 815(a). If a mine operator contests a citation, it must separately  contest  the  penalty  if  it  desires  review  of  the  amount  of  the penalty. See 29 C.F.R. §§ 2700.21(a), 2700.26. Despite the thirty day deadline for contesting a citation, a mine operator has the option to wait to contest the citation until after it receives notice of the proposed penalty because it may challenge the fact of the violation during proceedings on the amount of the penalty. Id. § 2700.21(b); United Mine Workers of America, ex rel. Local 1248, Dist. 2 v. Maple Creek Mining, Inc., 29 FMSHRC 583, 594 (2007) (quoting Sec y of Labor v. Quinland Coals, Inc., 9 FMSHRC 1614, 1620 21 & n.9 (1987)). If a mine operator contests the citation and later pays the proposed penalty, the mine operator is deemed to have admitted the fact of the violation, the payment becomes a final order of the Commission, and the party cannot continue to contest the citation. Secʹy of Labor v. IO Coal Co., 31 FMSHRC 1346, 1354 (2009); Sec y of Labor v. Old Ben Coal Co., 7 FMSHRC 205, 209 (1985) ( [T]he fact of violation cannot continue to be contested once the penalty proposed for the violation has been paid. ).  Here,  the  Secretary  issued  the  citations  on  September  29,  2009,  and Mach  contested  them  on  October  1,  2009.  On  November  4,  2009,  the Secretary notified Mach of the proposed penalty and, unbeknownst to the parties  attorneys, Mach paid the penalty by check on November 30, 2009. The Secretary discovered the payment after the ALJ had issued her decision and  while  the  matter  was  pending  before  the  Commission  itself.  The Commission granted the parties  request to hold the appeal in abeyance while  Mach  requested  relief  from  the  final  order  that  resulted  from  the inadvertent payment. The Commission granted relief from the final order; the Secretary filed a penalty assessment; Mach contested the penalty; the ALJ reissued her order; Mach sought review before the Commission. The (continued...) No. 12 3598 5 sioners  held  that  the  ALJ  was  correct  in  considering  only whether  the  district  manager s  decision  was  arbitrary  and capricious.  Sec y  of  Labor  v.  Mach  Mining,  LLC,  34  FMSHRC 1784, 1790 (2012). They relied on language in the Mine Act that suggests that the Secretary has discretion in deciding whether to approve a ventilation plan, id. at 1791, and noted that the Commission had applied an arbitrary and capricious standard in reviewing denial of emergency response plans, id. at 1792.4  Two  dissenting  commissioners  believed  that  a  more plenary  review  was  required.  They  cited  prior  Commission decisions  in  which  the  ALJ  independently  had  weighed evidence and required the Secretary to show by a preponder ance of the evidence that the operator s proposed ventilation plan was unsuitable to the mine and that the Secretary s own plan was suitable. Id. at 1811 (citing Sec y of Labor v. Peabody Coal  Co.,  18  FMSHRC  686,  690 91  (1996);  Sec y  of  Labor  v. Peabody Coal Co., 15 FMSHRC 381, 388 (1993)). These commis sioners  argued  that  the  Commission  should  not  change  the burden and standard for reviewing ventilation plan disputes without  a  reasoned  explanation.  They  also  suggested  that emergency response plans have a different standard of review 3   (...continued) Commission then consolidated the new appeal with the appeal that was held in abeyance. 4       See  30  U.S.C.  §  876(b)(2)(C);  Sec y  of  Labor  v.  Twentymile  Coal  Co.,  30 FMSHRC  736,  749,  777 78  (2008)  (applying  an  arbitrary  and  capricious standard  of  review  to  the  Secretary s  refusal  to  approve  an  emergency response plan required by 30 U.S.C. § 876(b)(2)); Sec y of Labor v. Emerald Coal Res., LP, 29 FMSHRC 956, 965 66 (2007) (same).  6 No. 12 3598 because the process for approving such plans is set forth by 30 U.S.C. § 876, which does not apply to ventilation plans. Id. at 1812 13.5 On the merits, the majority of the Commissioners held that the district manager did not abuse his discretion in refusing to approve the various aspects of Mach s ventilation plan. Id. at 1809.6 Because the dissenting Commissioners believed that the ALJ  applied  the  wrong  standard,  they  did  not  address  the merits  other  than  to  note  that  the  ALJ  may  have  reached  a different conclusion had she applied the preponderance of the evidence standard. Id. at 1813 14. Mach  filed  a  timely  petition  for  review  to  this  court.  It argues that it had a right to a de novo hearing on the merits before the ALJ and that the ALJ should not have applied the arbitrary and capricious standard. It also maintains that the ALJ erred by excluding or discounting certain evidence and 5    All five commissioners agreed that the ALJ did not abuse her discretion in excluding evidence that had not been presented to the district manager prior to the date of the technical violation. The majority opinion held that the ALJ did not abuse her discretion in excluding evidence related to other mine plans because the district manager must decide what is suitable to Mach s  mine,  and  Mach s  unique  system  makes  comparison  to  other ventilation plans of limited value. Sec y of Labor v. Mach Mining, LLC, 34 FMSHRC 1784, 1807 (2012). The majority also noted that the ALJ did not wholly exclude the evidence on other mine ventilation plans because she had allowed  witnesses to rely upon their experiences with other mines. Id. at 1808.  6    The majority remanded one issue for further consideration by the ALJ. Id. at 1798. On remand, the parties stipulated that the remanded  issue was moot, and the Commission denied Mach s petition for further review. No. 12 3598 7 that the ALJ s factual findings are not supported by substantial evidence. We have jurisdiction under 30 U.S.C. § 816(a)(1). For the reasons set forth in this opinion, we deny the petition. I DISCUSSION A. As  this  case  comes  to  us,  the  major  point  of  contention between the parties is whether the Commission, the authority charged  with  adjudicating  citations  issued  by  the  Secretary through  MSHA,  should  review  deferentially  the  Secretary s refusal to approve a ventilation plan. Stated more precisely, or at least more practically, when the Secretary refuses to approve a ventilation plan, is the mine operator entitled to a de novo hearing before the Commission, or must the Commission defer to  the  Secretary s  decision  on  the  record  assembled  by  the district  manager  and  reverse  that  determination  only  if  the Secretary fails to establish that the decision was not arbitrary and capricious?  In Steadman v. Securities & Exchange Commission, 450 U.S. 91, 95 (1981), the Supreme Court noted that, when faced with the task of ascertaining the applicable degree of proof, a court first must ascertain whether Congress has spoken on the issue. If Congress has spoken, that is, of course, the end of the matter. If Congress has not spoken, courts must fashion the applicable standard.  In  undertaking  such  a  task,  however,  we  must choose a standard compatible with the congressional policies 8 No. 12 3598 articulated  in  the  general  legislative  scheme  and  choose  a standard that best reflects the values and choices that Congress has identified. See id. at 97 102 (examining the language and history  of  section  7(c)  of  the  Administrative  Procedure  Act ( APA )  to  determine  what  standard  of  proof  Congress intended  to  be  applied).  We  now  embark  on  that  analytical journey.  1. Mach  submits  that  the  question  before  us  requires  a straightforward  application  of  the  cardinal  rule  of  statutory interpretation: Courts must adhere to the plain meaning of the statutory language. Noting that the Secretary s refusal comes before the Commission as the adjudication of a citation, albeit a citation for a  technical violation,  Mach submits that every proceeding  to  review  a  citation,  including  citations  for technical violations,  is an adjudicative proceeding that must be conducted in accordance with section 554 of the APA. See 30 U.S.C. § 815(d). In Mach s view, those procedures require the exercise of de novo review of the Secretary s judgment. It notes that, in Steadman, 450 U.S. at 102, the Supreme Court held that the  standard  of  proof  that  applies  in  hearings  governed  by section 554 of the APA is preponderance of evidence.7  7    Steadman v. Securities & Exchange Commission, 450 U.S.  91,  102 (1981), specifically  held  that  section  7(c)  of  the  APA  established  a  traditional preponderance of the evidence  standard.   Section  7(c)  of  the  APA  was codified at 5 U.S.C. § 556(d) and applies to adjudications under section 554. See 5 U.S.C. § 556(a). No. 12 3598 9 Mach is correct in stating that our starting point in analyz ing the question before us must be the plain wording of the statute enacted by Congress. However, we cannot apply this rule to selected words divorced from the context in which they appear. See FDA v. Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp., 529 U.S. 120, 132 33 (2000) ( The meaning or ambiguity of certain words or phrases may only become evident when placed in context. It is a  fundamental canon of statutory construction that the words of a statute must be read in their context and with a view to their place in the overall statutory scheme. (citation omitted) (quoting Davis v. Michigan Dep t of Treasury, 489 U.S. 803, 809 (1989)); Zeigler Coal Co. v. Kleppe, 536 F.2d 398, 405 (D.C. Cir. 1976) (examining the Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of 1969  [o]n the whole  to determine whether adopted and approved ventilation plans should be enforced as mandatory standards). Our ultimate objective must be to give effect to the congressional intent embodied in the entire statute. We  therefore  turn  to  an  examination  of  the  overall  text  and structure of the statute to ascertain its intent.  Examination of the text and the structure reveals that the regulation of mining industry practices has been committed by Congress to a bifurcated structure. In the simplest of terms, the statutory scheme contemplates that the Secretary sets manda tory  health  and  safety  standards,  either  through  the  formal agency rulemaking process, 30 U.S.C. § 811, or through plans submitted by industry participants for approval, id. § 862(a) (roof  plans);  id.  §  863(o)  (ventilation  plans);  id.  §  875  (emer gency  shelter  plans);  id.  §  876(b)(2)(C)  (emergency  response plans); see also Zeigler Coal Co., 536 F.2d at 409 (holding that the requirements of duly adopted ventilation plans generally are 10 No. 12 3598 [as]  enforceable   as  other  mandatory  standards  (footnote omitted)). The Secretary also must enforce rules and standards once they are promulgated or approved. 30 U.S.C. §§ 814 815. By  contrast,  the  Commission  performs  an  adjudicative  role, principally the adjudication of citations issued by the Secretary. Id. §§ 815(d), 823(d). We now examine each of these roles in more detail. First,  with  respect  to  formal  rulemaking,  the  Mine  Act authorizes and directs the Secretary to  develop, promulgate, and revise as may be appropriate, improved mandatory health or safety standards for the protection of life and prevention of injuries in coal or other mines.  Id. § 811(a). The Secretary also is  authorized  to  grant  exceptions  to  mine  operators  who request a modified standard. Id. § 811(c). Before granting an exception,  however,  the  Secretary  must  determine  that  the proposed  modified  standard  would  be  just  as  safe  as  the mandatory standards, and must publish notice and provide opportunity for a public hearing on the matter. Id.8 It is well 8    Section 811(c) provides: Upon petition by the operator or the representative of miners, the Secretary may modify the application of any mandatory safety standard to a coal or other mine if the Secretary determines that an alternative method of achieving the result of such standard exists which will at all times guarantee no less than the same measure of protection afforded the miners of such mine by such standard, or that the application of such standard to such mine will result in a diminution of safety to the miners in such mine. Upon receipt of such petition the Secretary shall publish notice thereof and give notice to the operator or the representative of miners in the affected (continued...) No. 12 3598 11 established that the exercise of such rulemaking authority is subject to deferential review. See, e.g., Intʹl Union, United Mine Workers of America v. Fed. Mine Safety & Health Admin., 920 F.2d 960, 964, 966 67 (D.C. Cir. 1990) (holding that the Secretary was entitled  to  deference  when  determining  whether  to  alter mandatory  standards,  but  remanding  because  the  Secretary failed to explain adequately his reasoning). In certain areas of mine safety, such as roofing and ventila tion systems, Congress recognized that miner safety could be addressed effectively only in a mine specific context. S. Rep. No. 95 181, at 25 (1977), reprinted in 1977 U.S.C.C.A.N. 3401, 3425  ( Such  individually  tailored  plans,  with  a  nucleus  of commonly accepted practices, are the best method of regulat ing  such  complex  and  potentially  multifaceted  problems  as ventilation, roof control and the like. ). The statutory scheme therefore  requires  that,  in  these  areas,  individual 8   (...continued) mine, as appropriate, and shall cause such investigation to be made as  he  deems  appropriate.  Such  investigation  shall  provide  an opportunity for a public hearing at the request of such operator or representative or other interested party, to enable the operator or the representative of miners in such mine or other interested party to present information relating to the modification of such stan dard. Before granting any exception to a mandatory safety stan dard, the findings of the Secretary or his authorized representative shall be made public and shall be available to the representative of the miners at the affected mine. The Secretary shall issue a decision incorporating his findings of fact therein, and send a copy thereof to the operator or the representative of the miners, as appropriate. Any such hearing shall be of record and shall be subject to section 554 of Title 5. 12 No. 12 3598 mine  operators  develop  mine specific  plans,  potentially containing  additional  health  and  safety  requirements,  and submit them to the Secretary s delegate for approval  before implementation.  30  U.S.C.  §§  862(a)  (roof  plans),  863(o) (ventilation plans).  Finally, the Secretary has enforcement authority and can issue  a  citation  when  he  or  his  authorized  representative believes that an operator of a coal or other mine subject to this chapter has violated this chapter, or any mandatory health or safety  standard.   Id.  §  814(a).  The  Secretary  is  further authorized to issue an order requiring the mine operator to withdraw persons from the mine if, in any ninety day period, he finds two violations that were  caused by an unwarrantable failure  to comply with the mandatory standards and which could significantly and substantially contribute  to a safety or health hazard. Id. § 814(d).  In  contrast  to  the  Secretary s  duties,  adjudication  of citations was entrusted by Congress to the Commission. An operator may choose not to contest a citation, in which case the citation is deemed a final order of the Commission thirty days after receipt. Id. § 815(a). Alternatively, an operator may choose to contest a citation, in which case the operator additionally may request a hearing for temporary relief under § 815(b)(2) prior to full review on the merits. When looking at the merits, the  Commission  shall  afford  an  opportunity  for  a hearing (in accordance with section 554 of Title 5, but  without  regard  to  subsection  (a)(3)  of  such section), and thereafter shall issue an order, based on findings of fact, affirming, modifying, or vacating No. 12 3598 13 the Secretary s citation, order, or proposed penalty, or directing other appropriate relief.  Id. § 815(d). In  bifurcating  this  regulatory  system,  Congress  clearly intended  to  separate  the  Secretary s  rulemaking  and enforcement  functions  from  the  Commission s  adjudicative function. The Senate report states that the purpose of vesting adjudicative  authority  in  the  Commission  was  to  have  a completely independent adjudicatory authority.  S. Rep. No. 95 181  at  47,  reprinted  in  1977  U.S.C.C.A.N.  at  3447.  The Committee  believes  that  an  independent  Commission  is essential  to  provide  administrative  adjudication  which preserves due process and instills much more confidence in the program.  Id. In examining a statute with a similar structure, the  Supreme  Court  noted  that  [t]he  purpose  of  this  split enforcement  structure was to achieve a greater separation of functions than exists within the traditional  unitary  agency, which  under  the  Administrative  Procedure  Act  (APA) generally must divide enforcement and adjudication between separate personnel.  Martin v. Occupational Safety & Health Rev. Comm n, 499 U.S. 144, 151 (1991) (examining the distinct roles of  the  Secretary  of  Labor  and  the  Occupational  Safety  and Health  Review  Commission  ( OSHRC )  under the Occupational Safety and Health Act).9  9    We agree with the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit s view that  [t]he administrative and judicial review procedures in the OSH Act are nearly identical to those in the Mine Act.  Sturm, Ruger & Co. v. Chao,  300  F.3d  867,  872  (D.C.  Cir.  2002)  (alteration  in  original)  (internal (continued...) 14 No. 12 3598 Notably, although Congress intended that the Commission review  the  Secretary s  decisions,  the  Senate  report  also indicated that the Secretary s interpretation of the statute and regulations  should  receive  some  deference:  Since the  Secretary  of  Labor  is  charged  with  responsibility  for implementing this Act,  it is the intention  of  the  Committee, consistent  with  generally  accepted  precedent,  that  the Secretary s interpretations of the law and regulations shall be given weight by both the Commission and the courts.  S. Rep. No. 95 181 at 49, reprinted in 1977 U.S.C.C.A.N. at 3448; see also Martin, 499 U.S. at 152 53 (discussing the Secretary s expertise in  assessing  a  particular  regulatory  interpretation);  Secʹy  of Labor v. Excel Mining, LLC, 334 F.3d 1, 6, 11 12 (D.C. Cir. 2003) (holding  that  the  Secretary  of  Labor s  interpretation  was entitled to deference and that the decision to issue a citation based on an average of samples taken during a single shift, rather than during multiple shifts, was reasonable).  2.  This examination of the text and the structure of the statute reveals two important points for the task before us. First, the role  of  the  Secretary  in  approving  safety  plans  in  areas  not susceptible  to  general  regulatory  governance  through  the rulemaking  process  is  distinctly  different  from  the  role  he performs pursuant to his enforcement duties. After a process of  dialogue  and  negotiation  with  the  mine  operator,  the 9   (...continued) quotation marks omitted). No. 12 3598 15 Secretary  must  make  an  independent  judgment  that  the ventilation system for a particular mining site is safe for those who will work there.10 Although specific to a certain mine and susceptible  to  more  frequent  alteration  as  conditions  in  the mine change, the process is essentially one of setting standards, not, in many ways, substantially different from setting more lasting and general standards through the rulemaking process. As the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit has  noted,  the  plan  approval  process  differs  from  formal rulemaking because the mine operator takes the initiative in the  development  of  these  mine specific  standards,11 nevertheless the statute clearly places on the Secretary the duty to reach an independent judgment as to the adequacy of the standards.12 The statute places on the Secretary s shoulders the obligation and prerogative of making a discretionary judgment as to whether the ventilation system developed by the operator will protect those who must expose their health, and indeed 10    S. Rep. No. 95 181, at 25 (1977), reprinted in 1977 U.S.C.C.A.N. 3401, 3425; see also United Mine Workers of America, Intʹl Union v. Dole, 870 F.2d 662, 669 n.10 (D.C. Cir. 1989) ( not[ing] that while the mine operator had a role to play  in  developing  plan  contents,  MSHA  always  retained  final responsibility for deciding what had to be included in the [roof] plan ).  11    See Dole, 870 F.2d at 667 69 (addressing roof control plans); Zeigler Coal Co.  v.  Kleppe,  536  F.2d  398,  403  (D.C.  Cir.  1976)  (addressing  ventilation plans). 12    See 30 U.S.C. § 862(c) (requiring a roof plan to provide for roof securing materials  at such other locations in the coal mine as the Secretary may prescribe );  id.  §  863(o)  (requiring  a  ventilation  plan  to  show  such additional or improved equipment as the Secretary may require ¦ and such other information as the Secretary may require ).  16 No. 12 3598 their lives, to risk by working at that specific site. In contrast to the  Secretary s  rulemaking  responsibilities,  the  Secretary s decision  to  issue  a  citation  pursuant  to  his  enforcement authority is subject to review by the Commission. If the mine operator contests the citation, the Commission has authority to examine  independently  the  facts  and  circumstances  and determine  whether  the  mine  operator  in  fact  did  violate  a standard.  Our examination of the language and the structure of the statute yields a second significant point. It reveals a significant gap in the overall statutory scheme: Resolution of an impasse between the mine operator and the Secretary with respect to the adequacy of a ventilation plan is not addressed specifically in the statutory language and is not easily discernible from the overall structure of the statutory scheme. Because this issue is central to our inquiry, we now undertake a historical analysis of the statutory language in the hope that it will shed some light on our understanding of how the statute contemplates the resolution of such an impasse.13  Modern efforts to deal legislatively with problems of health and  safety  in  the  mining  industry  find  their  anchor  in  the 13    In determining Congress s intent with respect to the level of judicial review it contemplated, we follow the direction of the Supreme Court in Thunder Basin Coal Co. v. Reich, 510 U.S. 200 (1994), and look to  the statute s language, structure, and purpose, its legislative history, and whether the claims can be afforded meaningful review.  Id. at 207 (citation omitted); see also  id.  at  216  (noting  the  Mine  Act s  structure  and  legislative  history); Steadman, 450 U.S. at 97 102 (examining the language and legislative history of the APA to determine the appropriate standard of proof).  No. 12 3598 17 Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of 1969, Pub. L. No. 91 173, 83 Stat. 742 (1969) (codified as amended at 30 U.S.C. §§ 801 878) (the  1969 Act ). This legislation established, and provided for the enforcement of, mandatory health and safety standards. The 1969 Act directed the Secretary of the Interior to work with other agencies to develop and promulgate health and safety standards which would be mandatory for all coal mines, see 1969 Act § 101, 83 Stat. at 745 46, and set interim standards  which  would  be  mandatory  until  permanent standards were in place, see id. §§ 201, 301, 83 Stat. at 760, 765. In setting mandatory standards, the Secretary of the Interior was  directed  to  consult  with  federal  and  state  agencies, representatives  of  mines  and  miners,  and  other  interested persons; to base standards on research; to propose standards using a fairly formal notice and comment procedure and to make  factual  findings.  Id.  §  101(c) (g),  83  Stat.  at  745 47. Notably, the 1969 Act also required mine operators to create mine specific  plans  for  areas  of  particular  concern  such  as ventilation and roofs. See id. §§ 302(a), 303(o), 83 Stat. at 766, 772. The 1969 Act called for mine inspections, id. § 103, 83 Stat. at  749 50,  and  empowered  the  Secretary  of  the  Interior  to enforce the mandatory standards by issuing notices or fines, or by ordering a mine to cease operations, id. § 104, 83 Stat. at  750 52.14  Mine  operators  could  seek  review  of  any  order  or notice by sending a request to the Secretary of the Interior who 14    In 1976, the D.C. Circuit held that a mine specific plan is as enforceable as the mandatory standards once it is adopted by the mine operator and approved by the Secretary of the Interior. Zeigler Coal Co., 536 F.2d at 409.  18 No. 12 3598 was  then  required  to  investigate  and  hold  a  hearing,  if requested,  to  enable  the  operator  to  present  information relating  to  the  issuance  and  continuance  of  such  order.   Id. § 105(a)(1), 83 Stat. at 753. The hearing would be  of record and subject to section 554 of the APA, id. § 105(a)(2), 83 Stat. at 753; the Secretary of the Interior was required to make findings and issue a written decision, id. § 105(b), 83 Stat. at 753. Orders of  the Secretary were subject  to judicial  review by a United States  court  of  appeals,  id.  §  106(a),  83  Stat.  at  754,  but  the court s decision would be based  on the record made before the  Secretary,   id.  §  106(b),  83  Stat.  at  754.  The  Secretary s findings  would  be  conclusive  if  supported  by  substantial evidence on the record considered as a whole.  Id.  As we have noted, the 1969 Act required mine operators to adopt  mine specific  ventilation  plans  approved  by  the  Secretary. Id. § 303(o), 83 Stat. at 772. Regulations promulgated immediately after the 1969 Act established general criteria for approving ventilation plans, see Mandatory Safety Standards, Underground Coal Mines, 35 Fed. Reg. 17,890, 17,904 (Nov. 20, 1970) (codified at 30 C.F.R. § 75.316 2 (1971)), but neither the 1969  Act  nor  the  regulations  outlined  a  method  for  a  mine operator  to  obtain  review  of  a  district  manager s  refusal  to approve a ventilation plan. The Committee Report attached to the House version of the bill suggested that a mine operator could  appeal  a  citation  to  the  Secretary  or  directly  to  the Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Board of Review.15 If the 15    The Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Board of Review was created in 1952 when Congress amended the Federal Coal Mine Safety Act. Law of (continued...) No. 12 3598 19 operator appealed directly to this board, it was  not bound by any previous findings of fact and the burden of proof [was] on the Secretary.  H.R. Rep. No. 91 563 (1969), reprinted in 1969 U.S.C.C.A.N. 2503, 2512. If the operator sought review before the  Secretary  before  appealing  to  the  board,  the  Secretary s decision would be prima facie evidence against the operator, but  either  side   was  allowed  to  produce  additional evidence.  Id. This procedure did not become part of the final version  of  the  1969  Act.  In  sum,  the  first  modern  effort  to address mine safety problems simply did not address resolving an impasse between a mine operator and the Secretary over the contents of a site specific ventilation plan.  In 1976, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit suggested a process for obtaining review of disapproval of a mine ventilation plan. See Zeigler Coal Co., 536 F.2d at 406 07. In that case, the court was asked to consider whether provisions of an approved ventilation plan should be considered mandatory standards and thus subject to the 1969 Act s enforcement provisions. Id. at 401. Before answering the question in the affirmative, the court examined the 1969 Act s history  and  process  for  obtaining  approval  of  a  ventilation plan.  The  court  noted  that  ventilation  plans  appear  to  be developed by informal negotiations between the operator and 15   (...continued) July 16, 1952, Pub. L. No. 552, § 205(a), 66 Stat. 692, 697 (1952) (repealed 1969). It was abolished when the 1969 Act became effective. See Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of 1969, Pub. L. No. 91 173, § 509, 83 Stat. 742, 803 (1969) (codified as amended at 30 U.S.C. §§ 801 878) (the  1969 Act ) (repealing the Federal Coal Mine Safety Act).  20 No. 12 3598 the Secretary s representative  without the protections of the formal notice and comment process set forth in section 101 of the 1969 Act. Id. at 403. The mine operator argued that if the Secretary  could  enforce  a  ventilation  plan  as  a  mandatory standard,  he  would  be  able  to  circumvent  the  formal procedures for setting safety standards by simply refusing to approve  an  operator s  ventilation  plan  unless  the  operator agreed  to  whatever  standards  the  Secretary  deemed appropriate.  Id.  at  406.  The  court  rejected  this  argument;  it pointed  out  that  a  mine  operator  could  choose  whether  to adopt  a  plan  and  the  agency s  recourse  when  an  operator refused  to  adopt  a  plan  would  be  to  seek  civil  or  criminal penalties  which  would  require  a  hearing  and  thus  act  as  a safeguard  against  agency  attempts  to  circumvent  formal standard setting procedures. Id. at 406 07. The statute makes clear that the ventilation plan is not formulated by the Secretary, but is  adopted by the operator.  While the plan must also be approved by the Secretary s representative, who may on that account  have  some  significant  leverage  in determining its contents, it does not follow that he has anything close to unrestrained power to impose terms. For even where the agency representative is adamant in his insistence that certain conditions be included, the operator retains the option to refuse to adopt the plan in the form required  ¦ . The agency s recourse to such a refusal to adopt a particular plan appears to be invocation of the civil and  criminal  penalties  of  §  109,  which  require  an opportunity  for  public  hearing  and,  ultimately, No. 12 3598 21 appeal to the courts. At such a hearing, the operator may offer argument as to why certain terms sought to be included are not proper subjects for coverage in the plan. Because we believe that the statute offers sound basis for narrowly circumscribing the subject matter  of  ventilation  plans,  we  conclude  that  this opportunity  for  review  is  a  substantial  safeguard against  significant  circumvention  of  the  §  101 procedures. Id.  (footnotes  omitted).  The  court  noted  that  the  Secretary s power was further limited because the ventilation plan must contain  only  specific,  as  opposed  to  general,  standards applicable to a particular mine and must not address issues other than ventilation. Id. at 407. The Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit s statement in Zeigler is significant because, although it does not address the standard of review, it  specifically  addresses,  for  the  first  time,  the  question  of resolution of an impasse over the terms of a ventilation plan.  The  following  year,  Congress  enacted  the  Federal  Mine Safety  and  Health  Amendments  Act  of  1977,  Pub.  L. No.   95 164,  91 Stat. 1290  (1977) (codified as amended  at 30 U.S.C.  §§  801 878)  (the  1977  Act ).  The  1977  Act  moved responsibility  for  setting  and  enforcing  health  and  safety standards from the Secretary of the Interior to the Secretary of Labor, 1977 Act § 102, 91 Stat. at 1290, and created the Mine Safety  and  Health  Administration  as  an  agency  within  the Department of Labor, id. § 302(a), 91 Stat. at 1319. Like the 1969 Act,  the  1977  Act  provided  that  the  Secretary  could  issue citations for violations of the mandatory standards, but rather than challenging the citation to the Secretary, a mine operator 22 No. 12 3598 now would contest a citation before a newly created Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission. Id. § 201, 91 Stat. at 1305 06, 1313 (amending sections 105(d), 113(a) of the 1969 Act). As before, the hearing before the Commission would be conducted in accordance with 5 U.S.C. § 554. Id. § 201, 91 Stat. at  1306  (amending  section  105(d)  of  the  1969  Act).  After  a hearing, the Commission would be required to issue an order based  on  findings  of  fact.  An  operator  could  seek  judicial review  by  a  court  of  appeals,  which  would  decide  the  case based on the record created by the Commission; however, a party could obtain permission to supplement the record if it could show that additional evidence was  material and that there were reasonable grounds for the failure to adduce such evidence in the hearing before the Commission.  Id. § 201, 91 Stat. at 1306 (amending section 106(a)(1) of the 1969 Act). The Senate report explained that the creation of an independent review commission was  essential  to preserving due process and instilling more confidence in the program. S. Rep. No. 95 181 at 47, reprinted in 1977 U.S.C.C.A.N. at 3447. It also noted that the initial hearing before the Commission should be before an ALJ, who could compel witnesses and the production of evidence. Id. at 48, reprinted in 1977 U.S.C.C.A.N. at 3447.  Despite  its  broad  attention  to  the  structure  of  the mechanism for regulating the mining industry, this legislative effort  yielded  no  concrete  guidance  on  the  resolution  of impasses over ventilation plans. The 1977 Act simply retained the section of the 1969 Act that required ventilation plans to be suitable to the conditions of the mine. Notably, however, the Senate  report  approved  of  Zeigler s  discussion  about  the adoption  of a mine plan, emphasized the importance of the No. 12 3598 23 Secretary s judgment in approving plans and noted that the operator is  entitled to full and prompt judicial review.  Id. at 25, reprinted in 1977 U.S.C.C.A.N. at 3425. The report stated: The  Committee  notes  that  in  addition  to mandatory  standards  applicable  to  all  operators, operators are also subject to the requirement set out in  the  various  mine  by  mine  compliance  plans required by statute or regulation. The requirements of  these  plans  are  enforceable  as  if  they  were mandatory  standards.  Such  individually  tailored plans,  with  a  nucleus  of  commonly  accepted practices,  are  the  best  method  of  regulating  such complex and potentially multifaceted problems as ventilation, roof control and the like. The Committee notes with approval that individual mine plan adoption and implementation procedures have been sustained by the federal Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia circuit  ([Zeigler]  Coal  Company  v.  Secretary  of  the Interior, 536 F.2d 398, (1976). Thus, the Committee fully expects the individual mine plan technique to continue to be utilized by the Secretary in appropriate circumstances. The Committee cautions that while the operator proposes a  plan  and  is  entitled,  as  are  the  miners  and representatives of miners to further consultation with the Secretary  over  revisions,  the  Secretary  must independently exercise his judgment with respect to the content  of  such  plans  in  connection  with  his  final approval  of  the  plan.  The  operator  and  the representative  of  miners  are  entitled  to  full  and 24 No. 12 3598 prompt  judicial  review  of  plan  contents,  under Section 102(f).[16] Id. (emphasis added). The  House  conference  report,  see  H.R.  Rep.  No.  95 655 (1977) (Conf. Rep.), reprinted in 1977 U.S.C.C.A.N. 3485, 3501, discussed  the  process  for  review  of  citations  by the Commission, but did not discuss a procedure for reviewing the Secretary s refusal to approve a ventilation or other mine plan. It simply noted that it would adopt the Senate s version of the bill relating to the review of citations, which gave the aggrieved  party  the  opportunity  to  be  heard  before  the Commission  and  authorized  the  Commission  to  issue  a decision based on its own factual findings. Id. In  sum,  other  than  the  Senate  report s  reference  to  the method  mentioned  in  Zeigler,  neither  the  1977  Act  nor  its accompanying  legislative  history  discusses  procedures  for obtaining  approval  of  individual  mine  plans  or  obtaining review of the Secretary s refusal to approve a mine plan. Nor do they specify the standard of review to be applied by the ALJ in reviewing the Secretary s decision. In 2006, Congress gave us another oblique indication that it approved of the citation system as a means of reviewing the Secretary s disapproval of plans drawn up by mine operators. In that year, Congress amended the Mine Act to require mine 16       The  committee  report  states  that  judicial  review  is  available  under Section 102(f),  but this must be a typographical error. Neither the 1969 Act nor the 1977 Act contain a section 102(f). Judicial review under both acts is available under section 106. No. 12 3598 25 operators to adopt emergency response plans approved by the Secretary.  See  Mine  Improvement  and  New  Emergency Response Act of 2006, Pub. L. No. 109 236, 120 Stat. 493 (2006) (codified at 30 U.S.C. §§ 801 878) (the  2006 Act ). The 2006 Act provides  that  disputes  relating  to  the  Secretary s  refusal  to approve an emergency response plan be resolved through a process  substantially  similar  to  the  technical  violation method used for reviewing mine ventilation plans. See 2006 Act § 2, 120 Stat. at 495 96 (amending section § 316(b)(2)(G) of the 1977 Act). Congress did not amend the provisions related to ventilation plans, but the Senate report accompanying the 2006 Act discussed the value of the plan adoption regulations that  were  already  in  place  for  roof  and  ventilation  plans.  S. R e p .   No.   109 3 6 5 ,   a t  4  ( 2 0 0 6 ) ,  a v a i l a b l e   a t http://www.msha.gov/SOLICITOR/MinerActLegHist.pdf.17 Specifically, the report notes that the plan method is ideal for ensuring that the safety plan remains up to date on the best technologies  and  accounts  for  the  changing  conditions  of  a particular mine.  [F]lexibility and practicality  are important in formulating a mine plan. Id. Further, the report specifically recognizes that negotiations on an appropriate plan will not 17    The ventilation plan regulations do not set forth a method for obtaining approval of a ventilation plan or explain how a district manager should decide to approve a plan. However, there are extensive general ventilation regulations applicable to every mine which detail the type of fans a mine may use to ventilate a mine, where the fans and their power sources are to be located, daily air quality monitoring, where air quality samples should be taken, minimum air quality standards and more. See 30 C.F.R. §§ 75.300 75.389 (2009). The mine ventilation plan must include information related to  many  of  these  regulations  and  include  any  additional  provisions required by the district manager.  See id. § 75.371. 26 No. 12 3598 always  be  easy  and  that  in  some  instances  there  may  be controversies that require prompt and impartial resolution.  Id. at  5.  The  report  states  the  committee s  intention  to  adopt  a technical  violation   method  of  review  because  that  is  a method already familiar to the parties:  As  is  currently  the  case  with  roof  and  ventilation plans, the dispute resolution process begins with a review  and  decision  by  an  Administrative  Law Judge  from  the  Mine  Safety  and  Health  Review Commission. Further appeal from the ALJ s decision may be taken in the same manner as with any other citation. This process is, of course, to be distinguished from the issuance of a citation for non compliance with the  provisions  of  an  already  approved  plan.  In  those instances the normal procedures regarding citation level and appeal process would apply. Id. (emphasis added).   The  report  emphatically  distinguishes  the  technical violation  from the use of citations to enforce already existing rules. Notably, neither the text nor the legislative history of this statute addresses the standard of review to be employed by the Commission in adjudicating denials of approval for emergency response plans.18 Implementing regulations and agency directives during the time these legislative actions were taken similarly add nothing 18    We note that the Commission has applied an arbitrary and capricious standard of review to emergency response plan disputes. See Emerald Coal Res., LP, 29 FMSHRC at 966.  No. 12 3598 27 of  substance  to  our  inquiry.  On  November  20,  1970,  the Secretary of the Interior,  then  the officer responsible for the administration of the statute, issued a final rule establishing standards  for  ventilation  as  required  by  the  1969  Act.  The regulation  required  operators  to  submit  various  pieces  of information  to  the  MSHA  district  manager;  it  also  set  forth criteria  to  guide  approval  of  a  ventilation  plan.  Mandatory Safety Standards, Underground Coal Mines, 35 Fed. Reg. at 17,904. The regulations state that the operator must submit a plan to the Secretary, but do not suggest a process for resolving disputes  or  obtaining  review.  Id.;  see  also  30  C.F.R.  §  75.316 (1971). The 1978 and 2009 versions of the rule also suggest no process for resolution of these disputes. See 30 C.F.R. § 75.316 (1978), 30 C.F.R. §§ 75.370 75.371 (2009).  In  examining  MSHA s  internal  policies,  we  note  that volume V of MSHA s  Program Policy Manual  discusses the process  for  approving  mine  plans  and  contesting  MSHA s refusal to approve a plan. According to the manual, if MSHA is unable to approve a plan,  the operator should be notified in writing  of  what  information  is  needed  or  why  the  changes cannot be approved. The process should be completed quickly ¦ .  Program Policy Manual, Vol. V   Coal Mines, MSHA, 4 (June 28,  2013),  http://www.msha.gov/REGS/COMPLIAN/ PPM/PDFVersion/PPM%20Vol%20V.pdf. 19  The  manual indicates that an operator may  contest  MSHA s decision by notifying MSHA and receiving a citation.  Where the operator 19   The manual available from MSHA s website is current as of June 2013, but  the  section  on  mine  plan  approval  contests  has  not  changed  since February 2003. 28 No. 12 3598 disagrees  with  MSHA  and  indicates  the  desire  to  seek  a citation to contest before the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review  Commission,  a  citation  should  be  issued.   Id.  The manual suggests ways of obtaining the necessary citation and explains that review will be before an ALJ:  [In t]he case of a new mine plan with a provision that  cannot  be  approved  ¦  [t]he  operator  could indicate  that  mining  operations  will  begin  on  a particular  date,  using  the  plan  that  contains  the provision  which  is  not  approved.  On  the  date indicated for starting operations, a citation would be issued for failure to adopt and follow an approved plan,  as  required  by  the  applicable  standard. Abatement  would  be  achieved  by  the  operator promptly adopting provisions that satisfy MSHA s previously documented concerns. Id. at 5. In each of these cases, the operator would have the option of contesting the citation issued and presenting to an administrative law judge the reasons why the disputed plan provision  should  have  been  approved.  Likewise,  [MSHA] would present [its] reasons for revoking or denying approval. Id. The manual s description of the hearing before the ALJ does not indicate the standard of review to be applied. This analysis of the historical development of the statutory provisions  at  issue  establishes  that  the  technical  violation method of seeking review of an impasse in the development of a ventilation plan developed first through judicial suggestion and then through custom and agency practice. Congressional approval came obliquely at first through mention in legislative No. 12 3598 29 history  and  then  more  directly  through  somewhat  parallel legislation governing emergency response plans. Nevertheless, the issue of the appropriate standard of review to apply to the conclusion of this process has not been addressed.  3. Our examination of the overall text of the statute reveals that it is not at all clear that Congress ever focused explicitly on the appropriate standard of review for the Secretary s refusal to approve a mine ventilation plan. The statutory text, read as a  whole,  makes  clear  that  the  process  of  approving  a ventilation  plan  proposed  by  the  mine  operator  is  a significantly  different  task  than  issuing  a  citation  for  the violation of an established standard. Put in its simplest terms, it involves the formulation of a standard, not the enforcement of a standard. It requires the gathering of information by the mine operator  and  its  presentation  to  the  district  manager,  the manager s  examining  and  assessing  that  material  and considering the views of the operator on the appropriateness of the plan. At bottom, it entails the exercise of the Secretary s independent judgment as to the appropriateness of the plan to ensure the health and safety of the miners. There is, in other words,  a  congressional  mandate  that  the  Secretary  exercise independent judgment that the plan safeguards those whom it is designed to protect. The plan as finally implemented must reflect the Secretary s best judgment that the mine is indeed safe for miners. See 30 U.S.C. § 863(o). We further note that, in enacting  the  legislation  dealing  with  ventilation  plans, Congress did not affirmatively enact the  technical violation 30 No. 12 3598 approach  to  obtaining  review  of  secretarial  denials  of  plans proposed by mine operators. This scheme was the product of agency custom and practice. It is clear, however, that Congress became aware of the practice and, indeed, later implemented it in the area of emergency response plans. As  part  of  their  argument,  Mach  points  us  to  30  U.S.C. §  815(d),  which  specifies  that  proceedings  before  the Commission are to be conducted in accordance with section 554 of the APA. Appellant s Br. 19 20. Section 556(d), which applies to hearings under section 554, provides for de novo review.20  When  enacted,  this  provision  was  placed  in  the statute to ensure that those accused of violating an established regulation were accorded a full opportunity  to demonstrate that they had not acted as the Secretary alleged. The advent of the  technical violation  to review the Secretary s refusal to approve  a  ventilation  plan  simply  was  not  before  Congress when it initially enacted the provision. When Congress finally acknowledged the existence of the practice, or even when it implemented it in the emergency response legislation, it did not address whether the standard of review regularly involved in reviewing violations of established rules should be imported to the review of denials of secretarial approval of ventilation plans.  In our view, the use of a de novo standard to review such secretarial refusals runs into a substantial statutory barrier. Use of such a de novo standard of review in the ventilation plan 20    See Steadman, 450 U.S. at 102 (holding that the standard of proof that applies  in  hearings  governed  by  section  556  of  the  APA  is  the preponderance of evidence). No. 12 3598 31 situation  would  undermine substantially the  specific statutory language of 30 U.S.C. § 863(o) that the implemented plan  must  be  one  approved  by  the  Secretary,  not  by  the Commission.  This  statutory  provision  makes  clear  that  the Secretary s  role  of  approving  the  plan  is  not  really  an enforcement role susceptible to de novo review, but rather a role imbued with a legislative or policy making dimension to ensure that the plan is reflective of the public interest in mine safety.  As  we  have  noted  earlier,  in  its  earliest acknowledgment  of  the  use  of  the  technical  violation approach to review secretarial denials, the Senate Committee specifically  caution[ed]   that  the  Secretary  must independently  exercise  his  judgment  with  respect  to  the content of such plans in connection with his final approval of the  plan.   S.  Rep.  No.  95 181  at  25,  reprinted  in  1977  U.S.C.C.A.N.  at  3425  (emphasis  added).  That  warning  was embodied in section 863(o). We therefore cannot accept Mach s argument  that  the  foregoing  analysis  is  basically  a  policy argument.  Reply Br. 3.  In light of the statutory text and its history, we conclude that the majority of the members of the Commission correctly determined  that  the  decision  of  the  Secretary  to  withhold approval of the ventilation plan is reviewable under the abuse of discretion standard. To permit the Commission to substitute its view for that of the Secretary simply would displace entirely the expertise  of the  Secretary from the determination  of  the appropriate safety standards for mine ventilation, a situation 32 No. 12 3598 clearly contrary to the intent of the statutory scheme mandated by Congress. 21 Our  conclusion  is  consistent  with  the  Supreme  Court s discussion of the roles of the Secretary and OSHRC in Martin v.  OSHRC,  499  U.S.  144.  In  determining  that  the  Secretary s interpretation, rather than OSHRC s, should receive deference, the  Supreme  Court  noted  that  the  Secretary,  as  the  entity responsible  for  promulgating  and  enforcing  the  statute,  has policymaking expertise and is  in  a  better  position  than  is  the  Commission  to reconstruct  the  purpose  of  the  regulations  in question.  Moreover,  by  virtue  of  the  Secretary s statutory role as enforcer, the Secretary comes into contact with a much greater number of regulatory problems  than  does  the  Commission,  which encounters only those regulatory episodes resulting in  contested  citations  ¦  .  Because  historical familiarity and  policymaking expertise account in the first instance for the presumption that Congress 21    We recognize that past Commission decisions required the Secretary to bear the burden of proving, by preponderance of the evidence, that the Secretary s  plan  was  suitable  and  that  the  mine  operator s  plan  was unsuitable, see, e.g., Sec y of Labor v. Peabody Coal Co., 15 FMSHRC 381, 388 (1993),  and  that  the  Commission  generally  must  explain  its  decision  to depart  from  its  own  precedent,  Lone  Mountain  Processing,  Inc.  v.  Sec y  of Labor, 709 F.3d 1161, 1164 (D.C. Cir. 2013). Our conclusion that the statute s regulatory  scheme  requires  the  Commission  to  review  the  Secretary s decision to approve or reject a ventilation plan under a more deferential standard,  however,  makes  further  explanation  by  the  Commission unnecessary in this case. No. 12 3598 33 delegates  interpretive  lawmaking  power  to  the agency  rather  than  to  the  reviewing  court,  we presume  here  that  Congress  intended  to  invest interpretive power in the administrative actor in the best position to develop these attributes. ¦ . For  the  same  reason,  we  reject  the  Court of  Appeals   inference  that  Congress  intended  to endow  the  Commission  with  the  normal complement  of  adjudicative  powers  possessed  by traditional administrative agencies.  Id.  at  152 54  (citations  omitted)  (internal  quotation  marks omitted). B. Having determined that the Commission was correct in its conclusion that the Secretary s decision ought to be reviewed deferentially, we must determine whether the Commission s decision can be sustained on review before this court. Unlike the situation that has occupied us in the earlier pages of this opinion, the standard by which we review the orders of the Commission is well settled. We review the factual findings of the  Commission  to  ascertain  if  they  are  supported  by substantial evidence, 30 U.S.C. § 816(a); we review questions of law de novo, Zeigler Coal Co. v. Kelley, 112 F.3d 839, 841 (7th Cir. 1997); and we review the ALJ s evidentiary rulings for an abuse of discretion, Lakeland Enters. of Rhinelander, Inc. v. Chao, 402 F.3d 739, 745 (7th Cir. 2005).  34 No. 12 3598 1. Mach contends that the ALJ s incorrect application of an arbitrary and capricious standard of review led her to exclude or  unfairly  discount  its  evidence  and  the  testimony  of  its experts, thus preventing Mach from fully presenting its case. Appellant s  Br.  38.  Our  earlier  discussion  and  conclusion forecloses this line of argument. We note that the ALJ did allow Mach s  witnesses  to  testify,  considered  their  testimony  and provided  a  reasoned  explanation  both  for  discounting  their testimony and for accepting the testimony of the Secretary s witnesses.22 2. Examining the merits, although Mach contends that it was entitled to a de novo review before the ALJ, it does not argue that, if the arbitrary and capricious standard applies, there is insufficient  evidence  to  sustain  the  decision  of  the  district 22    See, e.g., Mach Mining, LLC v. Sec y of Labor, 32 FMSHRC 149, 158 (2010) (finding  one  of  Mach s  witnesses  less  credible  because  he  testified  from notes handed to him by his attorney); id. (noting that Mach s expert failed to  address  MSHA s  recommendations);  id.  at  159  (concluding  that  the Secretary s position was based on legitimate facts and Mach presented no real  evidence  to  the  contrary);  id.  at  160  (determining  that  the  Secretary demonstrated a need for ventilation controls and noting that Mach s expert failed to explain how it would avoid a short circuit in the air flow without controls).  No. 12 3598 35 manager.23 It also does not maintain that the district manager failed to follow the general regulations with respect to mines or  the  various  directives  promulgated  by  the  Secretary  to ensure comprehensive review of a submitted plan. Nor does it contend that the district manager acted arbitrarily in refusing to review any information that Mach submitted to him.  Mach does submit, however, that it was unaware  of the full  range  of  disagreements  MSHA  would  have  with  its ventilation plan for panel 3.  Appellant s Br. 42. It alleges that MSHA never fully articulated its rationale for rejecting Mach s ventilation  plan  during  informal  negotiations,  which  preju diced Mach at the hearing before the ALJ. At bottom, Mach claims  that  the  district  manager  failed  to  negotiate  in  good faith, see Secʹy of Labor v. C.W. Mining Co., 18 FMSHRC 1740, 1747  (1996)  (explaining  that  good  faith  negotiations  include notice  of  a  party s  position  and  adequate  discussion  of disputed provisions ), contrary to the negotiation procedures required by the Commission, see Sec y of Labor v. Carbon Cnty. Coal Co., 7 FMSHRC 1367, 1371 (1985). However, the ALJ found that the negotiations between Mach and the district manager did satisfy the good faith requirement. Specifically, she noted that  the  Secretary  and  Mach  had  extensive  back  and  forth discussions  over  a  period  of  eight  months   and  that  those discussions  included  telephone  calls,  emails,  letters  and meetings,  at  both the district and national level. During  the 23    Mach s statement of the issues asserts that the ALJ s decision was not supported by substantial evidence, Appellant s Br. 2, but its brief on this issue  focuses  only  on  what  the  ALJ  could  have  found  under  a  de  novo standard of review, id. at 44. 36 No. 12 3598 negotiations both parties made adjustments in their positions regarding the issues. The discussions were ongoing and, based upon  those  talks,  several  of  the  issues  were  removed  from consideration.  Mach Mining, LLC, 32 FMSHRC at 151. Mach s brief does not point to any evidence to the contrary. We thus affirm the Commission s decision on the eviden tiary issue and on the merits. Conclusion For  the  above  reasons,  we  must  deny  the  petition  for review.  PETITION DENIED

Some case metadata and case summaries were written with the help of AI, which can produce inaccuracies. You should read the full case before relying on it for legal research purposes.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.