2019 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 562. Regulation of racing and on-track pari-mutuel wagering.
562.01 Definitions. Except as provided in s. 562.124, in this chapter:
(1) “Administrator" means the administrator of the division of gaming.
(1m) “Animal" means a horse or dog.
(3) “Breakage" means the odd cents by which the amount payable on each dollar wagered on a race exceeds a multiple of 10 cents.
(3m) “Business day" means a business day, as defined in s. 421.301 (6), that is not a legal holiday under s. 995.20 or a federal legal holiday.
(4) “Department" means the department of administration.
(4m) “Division of gaming" means the division of gaming in the department.
(5) “Fair" means any fair conducted by a county or an agricultural society, association or board receiving aid under s. 93.23.
(5e) “Host track" means a racetrack that conducts a race on which intertrack wagering is conducted.
(5m) “Intertrack wager" means a wager that is placed or accepted at a racetrack on a race that is conducted at, and simultaneously televised to the racetrack from, another racetrack.
(5s) “Intertrack wagering licensee" means a person who is licensed under s. 562.05 (1) (e).
(6) “License" means a license issued under s. 562.05.
(7) “Licensee" means any person holding a license.
(8) “Multiple pools" means any pool of wagers on one or more races other than a pool of wagers in which each wager represents a wager to win, place or show.
(8g) “Out-of-state legal wagering entity" means a person who owns or operates a place located outside this state at which wagering on a race that is conducted in this state is authorized under the laws of the state or country in which the place is located.
(8m) “Out-of-state racetrack" means a place outside this state at which a race is authorized by law to be held and at which pari-mutuel wagering on the race is authorized by law to be conducted.
(9) “Pari-mutuel" means a wagering system in which all persons who wager on any animal which finishes in any position for which wagers are taken in a race share the total amount wagered on the race minus any deductions from the wagers on that race required under s. 562.065.
(10) “Race" means any animal race licensed under s. 562.05 (1).
(11) “Race day" means any day on which a race is conducted.
(11g) “Race meeting" means the period during a calendar year for which a person has been issued a license under s. 562.05 (1) (b).
(11r) “Race performance" means a schedule of races of either a matinee or night program that are conducted on a race day.
(12) “Racetrack" means any racetrack licensed under s. 562.05 (1).
(13) “Racing" means the conduct of a race.
(14) “Steward" means any person appointed, contracted for or approved by the department under s. 562.02 (1) (fm).
History: 1987 a. 354; 1989 a. 31, 314; 1991 a. 39, 269; 1995 a. 27 s. 9123 (6pp); 1997 a. 27; 2005 a. 155.