2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 949. Awards for the victims of crimes.
949.01 Definitions. In this subchapter:
(1) “Crime" means an act committed in this state which would constitute a crime as defined in s. 939.12 if committed by a competent adult who has no legal defense for the act.
(1m) “Department" means the department of justice.
(2) “Dependent" means any spouse, domestic partner under ch. 770, parent, grandparent, stepparent, child, stepchild, adopted child, grandchild, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, or parent of spouse or of domestic partner under ch. 770, of a deceased victim who was wholly or partially dependent upon the victim's income at the time of the victim's death and includes any child of the victim born after the victim's death.
(3) “Law enforcement agency" has the meaning designated under s. 165.83 (1) (b).
(4) “Medical treatment" includes medical, surgical, psychiatric, psychological, dental, optometric, chiropractic, podiatric and hospital care; prescription medications; medical, dental and surgical supplies; crutches; artificial members; appliances and training in the use of artificial members and appliances. “Medical treatment" includes any Christian Science treatment for cure or relief from the effects of injury.
(4g) “Parent of a victim" means a person who is a parent, guardian, or legal custodian of a child under the age of 18 who is a victim under sub. (6).
(4m) “Pedestrian" has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (43).
(5) “Personal injury" means actual bodily harm and includes pregnancy and mental or psychological trauma.
(6) “Victim" means a person who is injured or killed by an incident specified in s. 949.03 (1) (a), or by any act or omission of any other person that is within the description of any of the offenses listed in s. 949.03 (1) (b) or within the description of the offense listed and the condition provided in s. 949.03 (1) (c). This definition does not apply to s. 949.165.