2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 88. Drainage of lands.
- 88.01 Definitions.
- 88.02 Outstanding securities and contracts not affected.
- 88.03 Drainage proceedings equitable in nature.
- 88.032 Amendment of documents.
- 88.04 General rules relating to signatures on petitions.
- 88.05 General rules applicable to notices of hearings.
- 88.06 General procedure for obtaining consent or approval of the court in drainage proceedings.
- 88.065 General procedure for drainage board hearings.
- 88.07 General rules; drainage proceedings in court.
- 88.08 Costs in drainage proceedings.
- 88.09 Certiorari; drainage board decisions.
- 88.10 Guardian ad litem; failure to appoint.
- 88.11 Assistance to drainage districts.
- 88.12 Proceedings when drainage area is in more than one county.
- 88.13 Right to enter lands of drainage district.
- 88.14 Controversies between districts.
- 88.145 Limitation of damages and suits.
- 88.16 Notification requirements, engineering study.
- 88.161 Transition for certain drainage districts.
APPOINTMENT, POWERS AND DUTIES OF DRAINAGE BOARD
- 88.17 Appointment and organization of drainage board.
- 88.172 Limited liability of drainage board members.
- 88.18 County treasurer to serve as treasurer of drainage districts.
- 88.19 Board to keep records.
- 88.20 Conflict of interest prohibited.
- 88.21 General powers of the drainage board.
- 88.212 Required actions for the drainage board.
- 88.215 Landowner petitions.
- 88.22 Power of board to contract with the federal government and other agencies.
- 88.23 Power of board to levy assessments for costs.
- 88.24 Board to file annual report.
ORGANIZATION OF DRAINAGE DISTRICTS
- 88.27 Who may petition for organization of a drainage district.
- 88.28 Contents of petition.
- 88.29 Referral of petition to board; examination of lands; hearing by board.
- 88.31 Special procedure in cases affecting navigable waters.
- 88.32 Report to the court.
- 88.33 Drainage project may be stopped prior to organization of district.
- 88.34 Hearing by the court; organization of drainage district.
- 88.35 Laying out drains, assessment of benefits and award of damages in newly organized district.
- 88.36 Hearing on report.
GENERAL RULES APPLICABLE TO ASSESSMENTS
- 88.40 Assessments for costs to be certified to register of deeds; assessments are lien on lands.
- 88.405 Assessment for connection to district drain.
- 88.41 Payment of assessments for costs.
- 88.42 Unpaid drainage assessments to be collected as taxes.
- 88.43 Collection of assessments as delinquent taxes.
- 88.44 Contesting validity of assessments.
- 88.45 Procedure upon discovering omitted assessments.
- 88.46 Reassessment of benefits.
- 88.47 Apportionment of assessments when assessed parcel is divided.
- 88.48 Assessment of county and municipal lands.
- 88.49 Assessment of one district by another; judgment against district.
- 88.50 When state lands subject to assessment; right-of-way across state lands.
BORROWING MONEY; REFINANCING; COMPROMISE OF DEBTS
- 88.54 Borrowing money.
- 88.55 Refunding district obligations.
- 88.56 Compromise and discharge of obligations.
- 88.61 Laying out drains, assessment of benefits and award of damages in existing drainage district.
CONSTRUCTION, MAINTENANCE AND IMPROVEMENT OF DRAINS
- 88.62 Conditions relative to doing of work.
- 88.63 Maintenance and repair of drains.
- 88.64 Assessment against municipalities for enlargement or maintenance of drains.
- 88.66 Construction and repair of drains crossing railroad right-of-way.
- 88.67 Construction and repair of drains crossing utility installations; laying utility installations across drains.
- 88.68 Construction of drain across public highway; construction of bridges across drains.
- 88.69 District liable for damage to land outside its boundaries.
- 88.70 Formation of subdistrict to obtain more thorough drainage.
- 88.71 Enlarging or supplementing existing drains.
- 88.72 Removal of dams or other obstructions in drainage outlets.
- 88.73 Providing drainage for lands assessed but not adequately drained.
- 88.74 District corridors.
ENLARGEMENT, CONSOLIDATION, DIVISION AND DISSOLUTION OF DRAINAGE DISTRICT
- 88.77 Annexation of lands upon petition of owners.
- 88.78 Annexation of benefited lands.
- 88.785 Certain annexations prohibited.
- 88.79 Consolidation of drainage districts in process of organization.
- 88.791 Consolidation of existing drainage districts.
- 88.80 Withdrawal of lands from drainage district.
- 88.81 Proceedings to suspend operations of drainage district.
- 88.815 Dissolution of suspended drainage districts.
- 88.817 Leola drainage district.
- 88.82 Dissolution of drainage districts.
- 88.83 Transfer of district to municipal jurisdiction.
RIGHTS OF DRAINAGE; PRIVATE DRAINS; MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
- 88.87 Road grades not to obstruct natural drainage, landowners not to obstruct highway drainage; remedies.
- 88.88 Railroad to construct ditch or sluiceway across right-of-way.
- 88.89 Roads not to obstruct natural watercourse.
- 88.90 Removal of obstructions from natural watercourses.
- 88.91 Penalty for placing obstruction in ditches.
- 88.92 Private drains not to be connected with district drains.
- 88.93 Right to take water from drainage ditch.
- 88.94 Drains for individual landowners.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.