2010 Wisconsin Code
Chapter 33. Public inland waters.
33.23 Municipalities may establish district.


33.23 Municipalities may establish district.


(1) The governing body of a municipality may by resolution establish a district if the municipality encompasses within its boundaries all the frontage of the public inland lake within this state. Except as provided under sub. (3), the governing body of the municipality which establishes the district shall perform the function of the board of commissioners. For purposes of this subsection, "district" does not include a restructured district.


(2) Establishment of districts by towns under this section shall conform to the procedures of ss. 33.25 and 33.26 except that the town clerk shall perform the functions of the county clerk and the town board shall perform the functions of the county board and in addition shall hold the hearing.


(3) Districts established by municipalities under this section may adopt the form of governance provided under s. 33.28 by petition to the governing body of the municipality. Upon presentation of a petition conforming to the requirements of s. 8.40 requesting the change and signed by at least 20% of the property owners within the district, the governing body of the municipality shall provide for the necessary election of commissioners. The election shall be held by secret ballot at the next annual or special meeting, whichever occurs first, of the district and the change becomes effective at that time unless a challenge to the results of that election is initiated in circuit court within 14 days after the election. The court shall stay the change pending the decision on the challenge.

33.23 - ANNOT.

History: 1973 c. 301; 1975 c. 197; 1977 c. 141, 391; 1981 c. 18, 229; 1989 a. 159, 192, 359; 1995 a. 349.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.