2020 Revised Code of Washington
Title 11 - Probate and Trust Law
Chapter 11.80 - Estates of Absentees.
11.80.080 Provisional distribution—Notice of hearing—Will.

RCW 11.80.080 Provisional distribution—Notice of hearing—Will.

Whenever the owner of such property shall have been absent from the county for the space of five years and his or her whereabouts are unknown and cannot with reasonable diligence be ascertained, his or her presumptive heirs at law may apply to the court for an order of provisional distribution of such property, and to be let into provisional possession thereof: PROVIDED, That such provisional distribution may be made at any time prior to the expiration of five years, when it shall be made to appear to the satisfaction of the court that there are strong presumptions that the absentee is dead; and in determining the question of presumptive death, the court shall take into consideration the habits of the absentee, the motives of and the circumstances surrounding the absence, and the reasons which may have prevented the absentee from being heard of.

Notice of hearing upon application for provisional distribution shall be published in like manner as notices for the appointment of trustees are published.

If the absentee left a will in the possession of any person such person shall present such will at the time of hearing of the application for provisional distribution and if it shall be made to appear to the court that the absentee has left a will and the person in possession thereof shall fail to present it, a citation shall issue requiring him or her so to do, and such will shall be opened, read, proven, filed, and recorded in the case, as are the wills of decedents.

[ 2010 c 8 § 2082; 1965 c 145 § 11.80.080. Prior: 1915 c 39 § 7; RRS § 1715-7.]


Notice for appointment of trustees: RCW 11.80.010.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Washington may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.