2018 Revised Code of Washington
11.56 Sales, exchanges, leases, mortgages, and borrowing.
11.56.020 Sale, lease or mortgage of personal property.

RCW 11.56.020 Sale, lease or mortgage of personal property.

The court may at any time order any personal property, including for purposes of this section a vendor's interest in a contract for the sale of real estate, of the estate sold for the preservation of such property or for the payment of the debts of the estate or the expenses of administration or for the purpose of discharging any obligation of the estate or for any other reason which may to the court seem right and proper, and such order may be made either upon or without petition therefor, and such sales may be either at public or private sale or by negotiation and with or without notice of such sale, as the court may determine, and upon such terms and conditions as the court may decide upon. No notice of petition for sale of any personal property need be given, except as provided in RCW 11.28.240, unless the court expressly orders such notice.

Where personal property is sold prior to appraisement, the sale price shall be deemed the value for appraisal. Personal property may be mortgaged, pledged or leased for the same reasons and purposes, and in the same manner as is hereinafter provided for real property.

[ 1965 c 145 § 11.56.020. Prior: (i) 1917 c 156 § 123; RRS § 1493; prior: 1891 c 155 §§ 29, 30; 1883 p 29 § 1; Code 1881 § 1488; 1854 p 284 § 99. (ii) 1955 c 205 § 12; RCW 11.56.025.]


Community property: Chapter 26.16 RCW.

Descent and distribution of real and personal estate: RCW 11.04.015.

Payment of claims where estate insufficient: RCW 11.76.150.

Performance of decedent's contracts: Chapter 11.60 RCW.

Sale of decedent's contract interest in land: RCW 11.56.180.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Washington may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.