2017 Revised Code of Washington
Title 46 - MOTOR VEHICLES
46.18 Special license plates.
46.18.295 Veterans and military personnel emblems.
RCW 46.18.295 Veterans and military personnel emblems.
(1) Veterans discharged under honorable conditions (veterans) and individuals serving on active duty in the United States armed forces (active duty military personnel) may purchase a veterans remembrance emblem, campaign medal emblem, or military service award emblem. The emblem is to be displayed on license plates in the manner described by the department, existing vehicular registration procedures, and current laws.
(2) Veterans and active duty military personnel who served during periods of war or armed conflict may purchase a remembrance emblem depicting campaign ribbons which they were awarded.
(3) The following campaign ribbon remembrance emblems are available:
(a) World War I victory medal;
(b) World War II Asiatic-Pacific campaign medal;
(c) World War II European-African Middle East campaign medal;
(d) World War II American campaign medal;
(e) Korean service medal;
(f) Vietnam service medal;
(g) Armed forces expeditionary medal awarded after 1958; and
(h) Southwest Asia medal.
The director may issue additional campaign ribbon emblems by rule as authorized decorations by the United States department of defense.
(4) The following military service award emblems are available:
(a) Distinguished Service Cross;
(b) Navy Cross;
(c) Air Force Cross;
(d) Silver Star medal; and
(e) Bronze Star medal.
(5) Veterans or active duty military personnel requesting a veteran remembrance emblem, campaign medal emblem, or military service award emblem or emblems must:
(a) Pay a prescribed fee set by the department; and
(b) Show proof of eligibility through:
(i) Providing a DD-214 or discharge papers if a veteran;
(ii) Providing a copy of orders awarding a campaign ribbon if an individual serving on military active duty;
(iii) Providing a copy of orders awarding a military service award; or
(iv) Attesting in a notarized affidavit of their eligibility as required under this section.
(6) Veterans or active duty military personnel who purchase a veteran remembrance emblem, campaign medal emblem, or military service award emblem must be the legal or registered owner of the vehicle on which the emblem is to be displayed.
[ 2012 c 69 § 1; 2011 c 171 § 73; 1997 c 234 § 1; 1991 c 339 § 11; 1990 c 250 § 6. Formerly RCW 46.16.319.]
Effective date—2012 c 69: "This act takes effect January 1, 2013." [ 2012 c 69 § 3.]
Intent—Effective date—2011 c 171: See notes following RCW 4.24.210.
Effective dates—1990 c 250 §§ 1-13: See note following RCW 46.18.215.
Severability—1990 c 250: See note following RCW 46.18.215.