2006 Code of Virginia § 20-88.64:1 - Employer\'s compliance with income-withholding order of another state
20-88.64:1. Employer's compliance with income-withholding order of anotherstate.
A. Upon receipt of an income-withholding order, the obligor's employer shallimmediately provide a copy of the order to the obligor. The employer shalltreat an income-withholding order issued in another state which appearsregular on its face as if it had been issued by a tribunal of theCommonwealth.
B. Except as provided in subsection C and 20-88.64:2, the employer shallwithhold and distribute the funds as directed in the withholding order bycomplying with the terms of the order, as applicable, that specify:
1. The duration and amount of periodic payments of current child support,stated as a sum certain;
2. The individual or support enforcement agency designated to receivepayments and the address to which the payments are to be forwarded;
3. Medical support, whether in the form of periodic cash payments, stated asa sum certain or ordering the obligor to provide health insurance coveragefor the child under a policy available through the obligor's employer;
4. The amount of periodic payments of fees and costs for a supportenforcement agency, the issuing tribunal, and the obligee's attorney, statedas sums certain; and
5. The amount of periodic payments of arrearages and interest on arrearages,stated as sums certain.
C. An employer shall comply with the law of the state of the obligor'sprincipal place of employment for withholding from income with respect to:
1. The employer's fee for processing an income-withholding order;
2. The maximum amount permitted to be withheld from the obligor's income; and
3. The times within which the employer shall implement the withholding orderand forward the child support payment.
(1997, cc. 797, 897; 2005, c. 754.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.