2006 Code of Virginia § 3.1-796.78 - Sale without pet dealer\'s animal history certificate violation of Consumer Protection Act; content...
3.1-796.78. Sale without pet dealer's animal history certificate violationof Consumer Protection Act; contents of certificate.
It shall be a violation of the Virginia Consumer Protection Act ( 59.1-196et seq.) for any pet dealer to sell a dog or cat within the Commonwealthstating, promising or representing that the animal is registered or capableof being registered with any animal pedigree registry organization, withoutproviding the consumer with a pet dealer's animal history certificate at thetime the consumer takes possession of the dog or cat. The pet dealer's animalhistory certificate shall be signed by the pet dealer, his agent or employee,and shall contain the following information:
1. The animal's breed, sex, age, color, and birth date;
2. The name and address of the person from whom the pet dealer purchased theanimal;
3. The breeder's name and address;
4. The name and registration number of the animal's sire and dam;
5. If the animal has been so examined, the date on which the animal has beenexamined by a licensed veterinarian, the name and address of suchveterinarian, and a brief statement of any findings made; and
6. A statement of all vaccinations administered to the animal, including theidentity and quantity of the vaccine, and the name and address of the personor licensed veterinarian administering or supervising the vaccinations.
The information contained in the pet dealer's animal history certificaterequired herein shall be informative only, and the pet dealer shall not beresponsible in any manner for the accuracy of such information unless heknows or has reason to know that such information is erroneous.
A copy of the pet dealer's animal history certificate signed by the consumershall be maintained by the pet dealer for a period of one year following thedate of sale.
(1984, c. 492, 29-213.48; 1987, c. 488.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.