2006 Code of Virginia § 3.1-796.124 - Dogfighting; penalty
3.1-796.124. Dogfighting; penalty.
A. No person shall knowingly do any of the following:
1. Promote, engage in, or be employed in the fighting of dogs for amusement,sport or gain;
2. Wager money or anything of value on the result of such fighting;
3. Receive money or anything of value for the admission of another person toa place for dogfighting;
4. Possess, own, train, transport, or sell any dog with the intent that suchdog engage in an exhibition of fighting with another dog; or
5. Permit any act described in subdivisions 1 through 4 of this subsection onany premises under his charge or control, or aid or abet any such act.
B. Any animal control officer, as defined in 3.1-796.66, shall confiscateany dogs that have been, are, or are intended to be used in dogfighting andany equipment used in training such dogs or used in dogfighting.
C. Any person convicted of violating this section may be prohibited by thecourt from possession or ownership of other companion animals.
D. Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of aClass 6 felony.
E. In addition to any other fines and costs, any person who is convicted of aviolation of this section shall pay all reasonable costs incurred in housingor euthanizing any confiscated dogs.
(1985, c. 408, 29-213.92:1; 1987, c. 488; 1998, c. 817; 1999, c. 113; 2003,c. 857.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.