2006 Code of Virginia § 3.1-796.101 - Disposition of funds
3.1-796.101. Disposition of funds.
Unless otherwise provided by ordinance of the local governing body, thetreasurer of each locality shall keep all moneys collected by him for dog andcat license taxes in a separate account from all other funds collected byhim. The locality shall use the funds for the following purposes:
1. The salary and expenses of the animal control officer and necessary staff;
2. The care and maintenance of a pound;
3. The maintenance of a rabies control program;
4. Payments as a bounty to any person neutering or spaying a dog up to theamount of one year of the license tax as provided by ordinance;
5. Payments for compensation as provided in 3.1-796.118; and
6. Efforts to promote sterilization of dogs and cats.
Any part or all of any surplus remaining in such account on December 31 ofany year may be transferred by the governing body of such locality into thegeneral fund of such locality.
(1984, c. 492, 29-213.70; 1987, c. 488; 1993, c. 959; 1998, c. 817.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.