2016 Utah Code
Title 4 - Utah Agricultural Code
Chapter 18 - Conservation Commission Act
Section 104 - Conservation Commission created -- Composition -- Appointment -- Terms -- Compensation -- Attorney general to provide legal assistance.
- (1) There is created within the department the Conservation Commission to perform the functions specified in this chapter.
- (2) The Conservation Commission shall be comprised of 16 members, including:
- (a) the director of the Extension Service at Utah State University or the director's designee;
- (b) the president of the Utah Association of Conservation Districts or the president's designee;
- (c) the commissioner or the commissioner's designee;
- (d) the executive director of the Department of Natural Resources or the executive director's designee;
- (e) the executive director of the Department of Environmental Quality or the executive director's designee;
- (f) the chair and the vice chair of the State Grazing Advisory Board, created in Section 4-20-1.5;
- (g) the president of the County Weed Supervisors Association;
- (h) seven district supervisors who provide district representation on the commission on a multicounty basis; and
- (i) the director of the School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration or the director's designee.
- (3) If a district supervisor is unable to attend a meeting, an alternate may serve in the place of the district supervisor for that meeting.
- (4) The members of the commission specified in Subsection (2)(h) shall:
- (a) be recommended by the commission to the governor; and
- (b) be appointed by the governor with the consent of the Senate.
- (a) Except as required by Subsection (5)(b), as terms of current commission members expire, the governor shall appoint each new member or reappointed member to a four-year term.
- (b) Notwithstanding the requirements of Subsection (5)(a), the governor shall, at the time of appointment or reappointment, adjust the length of terms to ensure that the terms of commission members are staggered so that approximately half of the commission is appointed every two years.
- (6) When a vacancy occurs in the membership for any reason, the replacement shall be appointed for the unexpired term.
- (7) The commissioner is chair of the commission.
- (8) Attendance of a majority of the commission members at a meeting constitutes a quorum.
- (9) A member may not receive compensation or benefits for the member's service, but may receive per diem and travel expenses in accordance with:
- (a) Section 63A-3-106;
- (b) Section 63A-3-107; and
- (c) rules made by the Division of Finance pursuant to Sections 63A-3-106 and 63A-3-107.
- (10) The commission shall keep a record of its actions.
- (11) The attorney general shall provide legal services to the commission upon request.
Renumbered and Amended by Chapter 227, 2013 General Session
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Utah may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.