2015 Utah Code
Title 76 - Utah Criminal Code
Chapter 6 - Offenses Against Property
Part 8 - Library Theft
Section 803.60 - Detention of theft suspect by library employee -- Purposes.
- (1) Any employee of the library who has probable cause to believe that a person has committed library theft may detain the person, on or off the premises of a library, in a reasonable manner and for a reasonable length of time for all or any of the following purposes:
- (a) to make reasonable inquiry as to whether the person has in his possession concealed library materials;
- (b) to request identification;
- (c) to verify identification;
- (d) to make a reasonable request of the person to place or keep in full view any library materials the individual may have removed, or which the employee has reason to believe he may have removed, from its place of display or elsewhere, whether for examination, or for any other reasonable purpose;
- (e) to inform a peace officer of the detention of the person and surrender that person to the custody of a peace officer; or
- (f) in the case of a minor, to inform a peace officer, the parents, guardian, or other private person interested in the welfare of the minor as soon as possible of this detention and to surrender custody of the minor to this person.
- (2) An employee may make a detention under this section off the library premises only if the detention is pursuant to an immediate pursuit of the person.
Enacted by Chapter 245, 1987 General Session
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Utah may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.