2010 Tennessee Code
Title 68 - Health, Safety and Environmental Protection
Chapter 140 - Emergency Services
Part 7 - Automated External Defibrillators
68-140-704 - Program for use of AEDs.
68-140-704. Program for use of AEDs.
In order for an entity to use or allow the use of an automated external defibrillator, the entity shall:
(1) Establish a program for the use of an AED that includes a written plan that complies with subdivisions (2)-(6) and rules adopted by the department of health. The plan must specify:
(A) Where the AED will be placed;
(B) The individuals who are authorized to operate the AED;
(C) How the AED will be coordinated with an emergency medical service providing services in the area where the AED is located;
(D) The maintenance and testing that will be performed on the AED;
(E) Records that will be kept by the program;
(F) Reports that will be made of AED use;
(G) Other matters as specified by the department; and
(H) A plan of action for proper usage of the AED;
(2) Adhere to the written plan required by subdivision (1);
(3) Ensure that before using the AED, expected users receive appropriate training approved by the department in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the proper use of an AED;
(4) Maintain, test, and operate the AED according to the manufacturer's guidelines and maintain written records of all maintenance and testing performed on the AED;
(5) Each time an AED is used for an individual in cardiac arrest, require that an emergency medical service is summoned to provide assistance as soon as possible and that the AED use is reported to the supervising physician or the person designated by the physician and to the department as required by the written plan; and
(6) Before allowing any use of an AED, provide to the emergency communications district or the primary provider of emergency medical services where the defibrillator is located:
(A) A copy of the plan prepared pursuant to this section; and
(B) Written notice, in a format prescribed by department rules, stating:
(i) That an AED program is established by the entity;
(ii) Where the AED is located; and
(iii) How the use of the AED is to be coordinated with the local emergency medical service system.
[Acts 1999, ch. 488, § 3.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.