2010 Tennessee Code
Title 53 - Food, Drugs And Cosmetics
Chapter 1 - Tennessee Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act
Part 1 - General Provisions
53-1-105 - Food deemed misbranded.
53-1-105. Food deemed misbranded.
A food shall be deemed to be misbranded if:
(1) Its labeling is false or misleading in any particular;
(2) It is offered for sale under the name of another food;
(3) It is an imitation of another food, unless its label bears, in type of uniform size and prominence, the word imitation, and immediately thereafter, the name of the food imitated;
(4) Its container is so made, formed or filled as to be misleading;
(5) In package form, unless it bears a label containing:
(A) The name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer or distributor; and
(B) An accurate statement of the quantity of the contents in terms of weight, measure or numerical count; provided, that under this subdivision (5) reasonable variations shall be permitted, and exemptions as to small packages shall be established, by regulations prescribed by the commissioner;
(6) Any word, statement or other information required by this chapter to appear on the label or labeling is not prominently placed on the label or labeling with such conspicuousness, as compared with other words, statements, designs or devices, in the labeling, and such terms as to render it likely to be read and understood by the ordinary individual under customary conditions of purchase and use;
(7) It purports to be or is represented as a food for which a definition and standard of identity has been prescribed by regulations as provided in § 53-1-205, unless:
(A) It conforms to the definition and standard; and
(B) Its label bears the name of the food specified in the definition and standard, and insofar as may be required by the regulations, the common names of optional ingredients, other than spices, flavorings and coloring, present in the food;
(8) It purports to be or is represented as a food for which a standard of quality has been prescribed by regulations as provided by § 53-1-205 and its quality falls below the standard, unless its label bears, in a manner and form that the regulations specify, a statement that it falls below the standard, or standard of fill of container applicable to the food;
(9) It is not subject to subdivision (7), unless its label bears:
(A) The common or usual name of the food, if there is one; and
(B) In case it is fabricated from two (2) or more ingredients, the common or usual name of each ingredient; except that spices, flavorings and colorings, other than those sold as spices, flavoring and colorings, may be designated as spices, flavorings and colorings, without naming each; provided, that to the extent that compliance with the requirements of this subdivision (9)(B) is impractical or results in deception or unfair competition, exemption shall be established by regulations promulgated by the commissioner. The requirements of this subdivision (9)(B) shall not apply to any carbonated beverage, the ingredients of which have been fully and correctly disclosed, to the extent prescribed by this subdivision (9)(B), to the commissioner in an affidavit;
(10) It purports to be or is represented for special dietary uses, unless its label bears information concerning its vitamin, mineral and other dietary properties that the commissioner determines to be, and by regulations prescribes, as necessary in order to fully inform purchasers as to its value for special dietary uses; or
(11) It bears or contains any artificial flavoring, artificial coloring or chemical preservatives, unless it bears labeling stating that fact; provided, that to the extent that compliance with the requirements of this subdivision (11) is impracticable, exemptions shall be established by regulations promulgated by the commissioner. This subdivision (11) with respect to artificial coloring shall not apply in the case of butter, cheese or ice cream.
[Acts 1941, ch. 120, § 11; C. Supp. 1950, § 6580.11; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 52-111.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.