2010 Tennessee Code
Title 31 - Descent And Distribution
Chapter 1 - General Provisions
31-1-101 - Title definitions.
31-1-101. Title definitions.
As used in this title, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Child includes any individual, adopted or natural born, entitled to take as a child under this title by intestate succession from the parent whose relationship is involved and excludes any person who is only a stepchild, a foster child, a grandchild or any more remote descendant;
(2) Devise, when used as a noun, means a testamentary disposition of real or personal property. Devise, when used as a verb, means to dispose of real or personal property by will;
(3) Devisee means any person designated in a will to receive a devise. In the case of a devise to an existing trust or trustee, or to a trustee or trust described by a will, the trust or trustee is the devisee and the beneficiaries are not devisees;
(4) Distributee means any person who has received property of a decedent from the personal representative other than as a creditor or purchaser;
(5) Heirs means those persons, including the surviving spouse, who are entitled under the statutes of intestate succession to the property of a decedent;
(6) Issue of a person means all the person's lineal descendants, adopted as well as natural born, of all generations, with the relationship of parent and child at each generation being determined by the definitions of child and parent contained in this title;
(7) Parent includes any person entitled to take, or who would be entitled to take if the child, adopted or natural born, died without a will, as a parent under this title by intestate succession from the child whose relationship is in question and excludes any person who is only a stepparent, foster parent, or grandparent;
(8) Personal representative includes executor, administrator, successor personal representative, special administrator, and persons who perform substantially the same function under the law governing their status; and
(9) Property includes both real and personal property or any interest therein and means anything that may be the subject of ownership.
[Acts 1977, ch. 25, § 1; T.C.A., § 31-101.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.