2017 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 54 - Ports and Maritime Matters
CHAPTER 3 - SOUTH CAROLINA STATE PORTS AUTHORITY
Section 54-3-130. Purposes of Authority.
The Authority is created as an instrumentality of the State for the accomplishment of the following general purposes, all or any of them, which are intended to broaden and not to restrict any other powers given to it in this chapter, namely:
(1) To develop and improve the harbors or seaports of Charleston, Georgetown, and Jasper for the handling of water-borne commerce from and to any part of the State and other states and foreign countries;
(2) To acquire, construct, equip, maintain, develop and improve such harbors or seaports and their port facilities;
(3) To foster and stimulate the shipment of freight and commerce through such ports, whether originating within or without the State, including the investigation and handling of matters pertaining to all transportation rates and rate structures affecting the same;
(4) To cooperate with the United States of America, and any agency or any department, corporation or instrumentality thereof in the maintenance, development, improvement and use of such harbors and seaports in connection with and in furtherance of the war operations and needs of the United States;
(5) To accept funds from any of the counties of Beaufort, Charleston or Georgetown, and to use them in such manner, within the purposes of the Authority, as shall be stipulated by the county and to act as agent or instrumentality for any of such counties in any matter coming within the general purposes of the Authority;
(6) To act as agent for the United States of America or any agency, department, corporation or instrumentality thereof, in any matter coming within the purposes or powers of the Authority;
(7) To cooperate and act as co-assurer with the city of Augusta, Georgia, and the Georgia State Ports Authority in furtherance of the river development project known as the Savannah River Project Below Augusta;
(8) To promote, develop, construct, equip, maintain, and operate a harbor or harbors within this State on the Savannah River, and in furtherance thereof have all of the powers, purposes, and authority given by law to the authority in reference to the harbors and seaports of Charleston, Georgetown, and Jasper; and
(9) In general to do and perform any act or function which may tend to or be useful toward the development and improvement of such harbors and seaports of this State and to the increase of water-borne commerce, foreign and domestic, through such harbors and seaports.
HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 54-13; 1952 Code Section 54-13; 1942 (42) 1535; 1956 (49) 1794; 1958 (50) 1881; 2009 Act No. 73, Sections 10, 11, eff June 16, 2009.
Effect of Amendment
The 2009 amendment, in items (1) and (8), substituted "Jasper" for "Port Royal".