2017 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 31 - Housing and Redevelopment
CHAPTER 12 - REDEVELOPMENT OF FEDERAL MILITARY INSTALLATIONS AND OTHER DEFENSE SITES
Section 31-12-30. Definitions.
As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) "Area of operation" means the area within the territorial boundaries of the counties entitled to representation on an authority which consists of both the real property to be disposed of by an authority as well as any other properties disposed of directly by the federal government to public or private persons or entities, other than disposal to the federal government for other defense uses, in connection with military installation closure and realignment or other federal defense site closure, realignment, or drastic downsizing, together with such areas of the surrounding community as may need planning for infrastructure improvements to support the redevelopment project area.
(2) "Authority" means a redevelopment authority created pursuant to Section 31-12-40.
(3) "Municipality" means an incorporated municipality of this State.
(4) "Obligations" means bonds, notes, or other evidence of indebtedness issued by the municipality to carry out a redevelopment project or to refund outstanding obligations.
(5) "Redevelopment plan" means the comprehensive program of the authority for redevelopment intended by the payment of redevelopment costs to redevelop properties scheduled for disposal which may tend to return properties to the tax rolls, replace lost jobs, and integrate the properties back into the community, enhancing the tax bases of the taxing districts which extend into the project redevelopment area and the economic health of the community in which it lies. Each redevelopment plan must set forth in writing the program to be undertaken to accomplish the objectives and must include, but not be limited to, estimated redevelopment project costs, possible sources of funds to pay costs, the most recent equalized assessed valuation of the project area as of the time of creation of a tax increment finance district pursuant to Section 31-12-200, an estimate as to the equalized assessed valuation after redevelopment, and the general land uses to apply in the redevelopment project area.
(6) "Redevelopment project" means buildings, improvements, including street improvements, water, sewer and storm drainage facilities, parking facilities, and recreational facilities. A project or undertaking authorized under Section 6-21-50 also may qualify as a redevelopment project under this chapter. All such projects may be owned by the authority, the municipality, the county, or other appropriate public body. This term includes portions of the redevelopment project located outside the redevelopment project area so long as they provide needed infrastructure support for the redevelopment project area.
(7) "Redevelopment project area" means an area within the incorporated area of a municipality and designated pursuant to Section 31-12-200, which is not less in the aggregate than one and one-half acres. It includes both the real property to be disposed of by an authority as well as other properties disposed of directly by the federal government to public or private persons or entities, other than disposal to the federal government for other defense uses, in connection with military installation closure and realignment or other federal defense site closure, realignment, or drastic downsizing. Redevelopment project areas designated pursuant to Section 31-12-200 may not be counted against the limits on acreage of redevelopment project areas within municipalities contained in Section 31-6-30(7).
(8) "Redevelopment project costs" means and includes the total of all reasonable or necessary costs incurred or estimated to be incurred and any costs incidental to a redevelopment project. The costs include, without limitation:
(a) costs of studies and surveys, plans, and specifications, professional service costs including, but not limited to, architectural, engineering, legal, marketing, financial, planning, or special services;
(b) property assembly costs including, but not limited to, acquisition of land and other property, real or personal, or rights or interests in it, demolition of buildings, and the clearing and grading of land;
(c) costs of rehabilitation, reconstruction, repair, or remodeling of a redevelopment project;
(d) costs of the construction of a redevelopment project;
(e) financing costs including, but not limited to, all necessary and incidental expenses related to the issuance of obligations and which may include payment of interest on obligations issued under the provisions of this chapter accruing during the estimated period of construction of any redevelopment project for which the obligations are issued and including reasonable reserves related to them;
(f) relocation costs to the extent that a municipality determines that relocation costs must be paid or required by federal or state law.
(9) "Taxing districts" means counties, incorporated municipalities, schools, special purpose districts, and any other municipal corporations or districts with the power to levy taxes.
(10) "Real property" includes all property assessed under authority of Section 12-4-540 when the term is used in this chapter with regard to tax increment financing.
(11) "Personal property" includes all goods, classified as equipment, used or bought for use primarily in the operation of the federal defense facility, not to include inventory, consumer goods, or farm products, as defined in Sections 36-2-105 and 36-9-109.
HISTORY: 1994 Act No. 462, Section 1; 1998 Act No. 421, Section 1.