2017 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 15 - Civil Remedies and Procedures
CHAPTER 17 - ARREST AND BAIL IN CIVIL ACTIONS
ARTICLE 1 Arrest
- Section 15-17-10. Person shall not be arrested in civil action except as prescribed.
- Section 15-17-20. Arrest in civil actions permitted in certain cases.
- Section 15-17-30. Females shall be arrested only in certain cases.
- Section 15-17-40. By whom order for arrest is made.
- Section 15-17-50. Affidavit to obtain order for arrest.
- Section 15-17-60. Security by plaintiff before obtaining order for arrest.
- Section 15-17-70. Making and serving order for arrest; contents.
- Section 15-17-80. Affidavit and order shall be delivered to sheriff or constable; copy to defendant.
- Section 15-17-90. Execution of order.
ARTICLE 3 Giving Bail
- Section 15-17-210. Defendant shall be discharged on giving bail or making a deposit.
- Section 15-17-220. Manner of giving bail.
- Section 15-17-230. Qualification of bail.
- Section 15-17-240. Substituting bail for deposit.
- Section 15-17-250. Delivery of bail to plaintiff and acceptance by him.
- Section 15-17-260. Notice of justification; new bail.
- Section 15-17-270. Justification of bail.
- Section 15-17-280. Allowance of bail.
ARTICLE 5 Release on Surrender of Property
- Section 15-17-410. Petition for release.
- Section 15-17-420. Creditors shall be summoned by public notice.
- Section 15-17-430. Clerk shall examine as to discharge of prisoner.
- Section 15-17-440. Oath of petitioner.
- Section 15-17-450. Order for assignment of property; exemptions.
- Section 15-17-460. Prisoner shall be discharged on making assignment.
- Section 15-17-470. Prisoner shall be remanded for refusal to assign.
- Section 15-17-480. Penalty for false schedules.
- Section 15-17-490. Summoning jury in cases of alleged fraud.
- Section 15-17-500. Filling vacancies in jury panel.
- Section 15-17-510. Liability for nonattendance of jurors.
- Section 15-17-520. Issues on exceptions to clerk's rulings shall be summarily heard by judge.
- Section 15-17-530. Fees allowed clerk for hearing application.
- Section 15-17-540. Fees allowed sheriff.
- Section 15-17-550. Proceedings in cases of appeal.
- Section 15-17-560. Creditors allowed to examine applicants for discharge; penalty for refusal to answer.
- Section 15-17-570. Debtor required to produce books.
- Section 15-17-580. Submission of issues to jury already empaneled.
- Section 15-17-590. No discharge shall be granted until property is delivered to assignee.
ARTICLE 7 Other Proceedings Subsequent to Arrest or Bail
- Section 15-17-710. Vacating order of arrest or reducing bail.
- Section 15-17-720. Affidavits on motion to vacate order of arrest or reduce bail.
- Section 15-17-730. Surrender of defendant.
- Section 15-17-740. Bail may authorize arrest of defendant.
- Section 15-17-750. Exoneration of bail.
- Section 15-17-760. Disposal of deposit after judgment in the action.
- Section 15-17-770. Proceeding against the bail.
- Section 15-17-780. Sheriff or constable may be liable as bail.
- Section 15-17-790. Proceedings on judgment against sheriff or constable.
- Section 15-17-800. Bail may be liable to sheriff or constable.
- Section 15-17-810. In what cases plaintiff shall be liable for maintenance of debtor.
- Section 15-17-820. Charges for keeping debtor in jail.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.