2015 Ohio Revised Code
Chapter 5305 - DOWER
Section 5305.21 - Dower of incompetent person may be barred.

Ohio Rev Code § 5305.21 (2015) What's This?

When the spouse of an incompetent person conveys real estate in this state, in which such person has a contingent or vested right of dower, and the incompetent person does not join the spouse in the conveyance, the spouse may apply by petition to the court of common pleas of the county in which the incompetent person resides, or, if such incompetent person resides out of the state, then in the county in which the real estate is situated, for leave to have part or all of such real estate so conveyed, released of the dower right therein. Such petition shall set forth the grounds for incompetency of the incompetent person, and a description of the land proposed to be affected. The incompetent person, guardian, if there is one, and all persons in interest, shall be made defendants, and the action shall be proceeded with as prescribed in sections 5305.18 to 5305.20 of the Revised Code, except that instead of ordering the petitioner to sell the real estate or to convey or assign to such incompetent person any part of it, the court shall direct the petitioner to make such investment as is provided in section 5305.20 of the Revised Code, or require the petitioner to secure the amount to the use of the incompetent person by mortgage of unencumbered real estate of at least double the value thereof. Upon compliance by the petitioner with the order made, the court shall enter a judgment releasing and discharging the real estate from the encumbrance of such right of dower, and adjudge the holder of the legal title, or other party liable, to pay to the petitioner any sum withheld or retained as indemnity against such dower right.

Effective Date: 10-01-1953; 2007 HB53 08-07-2007

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Ohio may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.