2009 North Carolina Code
Chapter 166A - North Carolina Emergency Management Act.
§ 166A-11. Compensation.

§ 166A‑11.  Compensation.

(a)        Compensation for services or for the taking or use of property shall be only to the extent that legal obligations of individual citizens are exceeded in a particular case and then only to the extent that the claimant has not been deemed to have volunteered his services or property without compensation.

(b)        Compensation for property shall be only if the property was commandeered, seized, taken, condemned, or otherwise used in coping with a disaster and this action was ordered by the Governor. The State shall make compensation for the property so seized, taken or condemned on the following basis:

(1)        In case property is taken for temporary use, the Governor, within 30 days of the taking, shall fix the amount of compensation to be paid for such damage or failure to return. Whenever the Governor shall deem it advisable for the State to take title to property taken under this section, he shall forthwith cause the owner of such property to be notified thereof in writing by registered mail, postage prepaid, or by the best means available, and forthwith cause to be filed a copy of said notice with the Secretary of State.

(2)        If the person entitled to receive the amounts so determined by the Governor as just compensation is unwilling to accept the same as full and complete compensation for such property or the use thereof, he shall be paid seventy‑five per centum (75%) of such amount and shall be entitled to recover from the State of North Carolina in an action brought in the superior court in the county of residence of claimant, or in Wake County, in the same manner as other condemnation claims  are brought, within three years after the date of the Governor's award. (1977, c. 848, s. 2.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. North Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.