2017 New York Laws
VAT - Vehicle & Traffic
Title 2 - Department of Motor Vehicles; Commissioner
Article 2 - Department of Motor Vehicles; Commissioner
207 - Uniform Traffic Summons and Complaint.
207. Uniform traffic summons and complaint. 1. Except as otherwise provided, the commissioner shall be authorized to prescribe the form of summons and complaint in all cases involving a violation of any provision of this chapter, including section twelve hundred three-c, or of any provision of the tax law or of the transportation law regulating traffic, or of any ordinance, rule or regulation relating to traffic, and to establish procedures for proper administrative controls over the disposition thereof. The commissioner is not authorized to prescribe the form of summons and complaint for parking, stopping or standing violations or a violation of article forty-seven or forty-eight of this chapter.
2. The chief executive officer of each local police force including county, town, city and village police departments, sheriffs, and the superintendent of state police shall prepare or cause to be prepared such records and reports as may be prescribed hereunder.
3. The commissioner shall have the power from time to time to adopt such rules and regulations as may be necessary to accomplish the purposes and enforce the provisions of this section including requirements for reporting by trial courts having jurisdiction over traffic violations.
4. The provisions of this section shall not apply to or supersede any ordinance, rule or regulation heretofore or hereafter made, adopted or prescribed pursuant to law in any city having a population of one million or over, and the commissioner may limit the application of any rule or regulation to exclude specified violations based upon conditions or factors making differentiation or separate classification necessary or desirable.
5. Any person who disposes of any uniform traffic summons and complaint in any manner other than that prescribed by law shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.