2017 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 50 - Employment Law
Article 4 - Labor Conditions; Payment of Wages
Section 50-4-12 - Wage claim actions; costs; jurisdiction; representation by district attorney; appeals.

Universal Citation: NM Stat § 50-4-12 (2017)

50-4-12. Wage claim actions; costs; jurisdiction; representation by district attorney; appeals.

A. In all actions brought by the director of the labor and industrial division of the labor department as assignee under the provisions of Section 50-4-11 NMSA 1978, the director shall be entitled to free process and shall not be obligated or required to give any bond or other security for costs.

B. Any sheriff, constable or other officer requested by the director to serve any summons, writ, complaint or order shall do so without requiring the director to pay any fees or furnish any security or bond.

C. Where all claims joined together do not exceed in the aggregate the jurisdictional limit of the magistrate or metropolitan court, the director may institute an action against the employer in any magistrate or metropolitan court having jurisdiction without referring the claim to the district attorney. In the event that during the course of the proceedings representation by an attorney at law becomes necessary or, in the director's judgment, advisable, the director shall so notify the district attorney, and it shall then be the duty of the district attorney or the district attorney's assistant to appear for the director in the cause.

D. In the event the cause is appealed by the director, no bond or other security shall be required or fees charged the director for court costs or sheriff's fees in serving process.

History: Laws 1937, ch. 109, 13; 1941 Comp., 57-313; Laws 1945, ch. 48, 2; 1953 Comp., 59-3-13; Laws 1996, ch. 38, 1.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.