2015 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 29 - Law Enforcement
Section 19 Concealed Handgun Carry
Section 29-19-7 Demonstration of ability and knowledge; course requirement; proprietary interest; exemptions.
29-19-7. Demonstration of ability and knowledge; course requirement; proprietary interest; exemptions.
A. The department shall prepare and publish minimum standards for approved firearms training courses that teach competency with handguns. A firearms training course shall include classroom instruction and range instruction and an actual demonstration by the applicant of his ability to safely use a handgun. An applicant shall not be licensed unless he demonstrates, at a minimum, his ability to use a handgun of .32 caliber. An approved firearms training course shall be a course that is certified or sponsored by a federal or state law enforcement agency, a college, a firearms training school or a nationally recognized organization, approved by the department, that customarily offers firearms training. The firearms training course shall be not less than fifteen hours in length and shall provide instruction regarding:
(1) knowledge of and safe handling of single- and double-action revolvers and semiautomatic handguns;
(2) safe storage of handguns and child safety;
(3) safe handgun shooting fundamentals;
(4) live shooting of a handgun on a firing range;
(5) identification of ways to develop and maintain handgun shooting skills;
(6) federal, state and local criminal and civil laws pertaining to the purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of handguns;
(7) techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to control a violent confrontation; and
(8) techniques for nonviolent dispute resolution.
B. Every instructor of an approved firearms training course shall annually file a copy of the course description and proof of certification with the department.
History: Laws 2003, ch. 255, 7.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.