2011 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 21: State and Private Education Institutions
Article 23: Post-Secondary Educational Institution Act, 21-23-1 through 21-23-15
Section 21-23-10: Disciplinary actions; civil penalties.

NM Stat § 21-23-10 (1996 through 1st Sess 50th Legis) What's This?

21-23-10. Disciplinary actions; civil penalties.

A. A person shall not:

(1) operate a career school or nonregionally accredited college or university within the state until that school has been licensed by the commission;

(2) operate a regionally accredited college or university within the state until that college or university has registered with the commission;

(3) deny enrollment to or make any distinction or classification of pupils in the program or practices of any post-secondary educational institution under the jurisdiction of the commission on account of race, color, culture, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, religion or disability; or

(4) solicit, directly or through an agent or employee, the enrollment of any person in a post-secondary educational institution within the state by the use of fraud, misrepresentation or collusion.

B. Whoever violates any provision of this section may be assessed a civil penalty not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500) per day per violation. Civil penalties shall be credited to the current school fund as provided in Article 12, Section 4 of the constitution of New Mexico.

C. After an investigation, the commission may take any one or a combination of the following disciplinary actions against a post-secondary education institution licensed in accordance with the Post-Secondary Educational Institution Act [21-23-1 NMSA 1978]:

(1) revoke a license;

(2) assess a civil penalty as provided in Subsection B of this section; or

(3) impose probation requirements.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.