2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 17B - INSURANCE
Section 17B:27A-22 - Preexisting condition provisions.
17B:27A-22 Preexisting condition provisions.
6. a. No health benefits plan subject to this act shall include any provision excluding coverage for a preexisting condition regardless of the cause of the condition, provided that a preexisting condition provision may apply to a late enrollee or to any group of two to five persons if such provision excludes coverage for a period of no more than 180 days following the effective date of coverage of such enrollee, and relates only to conditions, whether physical or mental, manifesting themselves during the six months immediately preceding the enrollment date of such enrollee and for which medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment was recommended or received during the six months immediately preceding the effective date of coverage; provided that, if 10 or more late enrollees request enrollment during any 30-day enrollment period, then no preexisting condition provision shall apply to any such enrollee.
b. In determining whether a preexisting condition provision applies to an eligible employee or dependent, all health benefits plans shall credit the time that person was covered under creditable coverage if the creditable coverage was continuous to a date not more than 90 days prior to the effective date of the new coverage, exclusive of any applicable waiting period under such plan. A carrier shall provide credit pursuant to this provision in one of the following methods:
(1) A carrier shall count a period of creditable coverage without regard to the specific benefits covered during the period; or
(2) A carrier shall count a period of creditable coverage based on coverage of benefits within each of several classes or categories of benefits specified in federal regulation rather than the method provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection. This election shall be made on a uniform basis for all covered persons. Under this election, a carrier shall count a period of creditable coverage with respect to any class or category of benefits if any level of benefits is covered within that class or category. A carrier which elects to provide credit pursuant to this provision shall comply with all federal notice requirements.
c. A health benefits plan shall not impose a preexisting condition exclusion for the following:
(1) A newborn child who, as of the last date of the 60-day period beginning with the date of birth, is covered under creditable coverage;
(2) A child who is adopted or placed for adoption before attaining 18 years of age and who, as of the last day of the 30-day period beginning on the date of the adoption or placement for adoption, is covered under creditable coverage. This provision shall not apply to coverage before the date of the adoption or placement for adoption; or
(3) Pregnancy as a preexisting condition.
L.1992, c.162, s.6; amended 1995, c.298, s.2; 1997, c.146, s.9; 2017, c.361, s.10.