2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 17B - INSURANCE
Section 17B:27A-23 - Policies, contracts renewable; exceptions.
17B:27A-23 Policies, contracts renewable; exceptions.
7. Every policy or contract issued to small employers in this State pursuant to P.L.1992, c.162 (C.17B:27A-17 et seq.) shall be renewable with respect to all eligible employees or dependents at the option of the policy or contract holder, or small employer except that a carrier may discontinue or not renew a health benefits plan in accordance with the provisions of this section:
a. A carrier may discontinue such coverage only if:
(1) The policyholder, contract holder, or employer has failed to pay premiums or contributions in accordance with the terms of the health benefits plan or the carrier has not received timely premium payments; or
(2) The policyholder, contract holder, or employer has performed an act or practice that constitutes fraud or made an intentional misrepresentation of material fact under the terms of the coverage;
b. (Deleted by amendment, P.L.1997, c.146).
c. The number of employees covered under the health benefits plan is less than the number or percentage of employees required by participation requirements under the health benefits policy or contract;
d. Noncompliance with a carrier's employment contribution requirements;
e. Any carrier doing business pursuant to the provisions of this act ceases doing business in the small employer market, if the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The carrier gives notice to cease doing business in the small employer market to the commissioner not later than eight months prior to the date of the planned withdrawal from the small employer market, during which time the carrier shall continue to be governed by this act with respect to business written pursuant to this act. For the purposes of this subsection, "date of withdrawal" means the date upon which the first notice to small employers is sent by the carrier pursuant to paragraph (2) of this subsection;
(2) No later than two months following the date of the notification to the commissioner that the carrier intends to cease doing business in the small employer market, the carrier shall mail a notice to every small business employer insured by the carrier, and all covered persons, that the policy or contract of insurance will not be renewed. This notice shall be sent by certified mail to the small business employer not less than six months in advance of the effective date of the nonrenewal date of the policy or contract;
(3) Any carrier that ceases to do business pursuant to this act shall be prohibited from writing new business in the small employer and individual health benefits plan markets for a period of five years from the date of termination of the last health insurance coverage not so renewed;
f. In the case of policies or contracts issued in connection with membership in an association or trust of employers, an employer ceases to maintain its membership in the association or trust, but only if such coverage is terminated under this provision uniformly without regard to any health status-related factor relating to any covered individual;
g. (Deleted by amendment, P.L.1995, c.50).
h. A decision by the small employer carrier to cease offering and not renew a particular type of group health benefits plan in the small employer market, if the board discontinues a standard health benefits plan or as permitted or required pursuant to subsection j. of section 3 of P.L.1992, c.162 (C.17B:27A-19), and pursuant to regulations adopted by the commissioner;
i. In the case of a health maintenance organization plan issued to a small employer:
(1) an eligible person who no longer resides, lives, or works in the carrier's approved service area, but only if coverage is terminated under this paragraph uniformly without regard to any health status-related factor of covered individuals; or
(2) a small employer that no longer has any enrollee in connection with such plan who lives, resides, or works in the service area of the carrier and the carrier would deny enrollment with respect to such plan pursuant to subsection a. of section 10 of P.L.1992, c.162 (C.17B:27A-26).
L.1992, c.162, s.7; amended 1993, c.162, s.4; 1995, c.50; 1997, c.146, s.10; 2008, c.38, s.23.