2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 12A - COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS
Section 12A:9-310 - When filing required to perfect security interest or agricultural lien; security interests and agricultural liens to which filing provisions do not apply.
12A:9-310 When filing required to perfect security interest or agricultural lien; security interests and agricultural liens to which filing provisions do not apply.
12A:9-310. When Filing Required to Perfect Security Interest or Agricultural Lien; Security Interests and Agricultural Liens to Which Filing Provisions Do Not Apply.
(a) General rule: perfection by filing. Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b) and 12A:9-312 (b), a financing statement must be filed to perfect all security interests and agricultural liens.
(b) Exceptions: filing not necessary. The filing of a financing statement is not necessary to perfect a security interest:
(1) that is perfected under 12A:9-308(d), (e), (f) or (g);
(2) that is perfected under 12A:9-309 when it attaches;
(3) in property subject to a statute, regulation, or treaty described in 12A:9-311(a);
(4) in goods in possession of a bailee which is perfected under 12A:9-312(d)(1) or (2);
(5) in certificated securities, documents, goods, or instruments which is perfected without filing, control, or possession under 12A:9-312(e), (f) or (g);
(6) in collateral in the secured party's possession under 12A:9-313;
(7) in a certificated security which is perfected by delivery of the security certificate to the secured party under 12A:9-313;
(8) in deposit accounts, electronic chattel paper, electronic documents, investment property, or letter-of-credit rights which is perfected by control under 12A:9-314;
(9) in proceeds which is perfected under 12A:9-315; or
(10) that is perfected under 12A:9-316.
(c) Assignment of perfected security interest. If a secured party assigns a perfected security interest or agricultural lien, a filing under this chapter is not required to continue the perfected status of the security interest against creditors of and transferees from the original debtor.
L.2001, c.117, s.1; amended 2001, c.386, s.26; 2013, c.65, s.10.