2015 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XXXVIII CRIMES AND PUNISHMENT; PEACE OFFICERS AND PUBLIC DEFENDERS (556-600)
Chapter 590 Peace Officers, Selection, Training and Discipline
Section 590.030 Basic training, minimum standards established--age, citizenship and education requirements established by director--issuance of a license.
590.030. 1. The POST commission shall establish minimum standards for the basic training of peace officers. Such standards may vary for each class of license established pursuant to subsection 2 of section 590.020.
2. The director shall establish minimum age, citizenship, and general education requirements and may require a qualifying score on a certification examination as conditions of eligibility for a peace officer license. Such general education requirements shall require completion of a high school program of education under chapter 167 or obtainment of a General Educational* Development (GED) certificate.
3. The director shall provide for the licensure, with or without additional basic training, of peace officers possessing credentials by other states or jurisdictions, including federal and military law enforcement officers.
4. The director shall establish a procedure for obtaining a peace officer license and shall issue the proper license when the requirements of this chapter have been met.
5. As conditions of licensure, all licensed peace officers shall:
(1) Obtain continuing law enforcement education pursuant to rules to be promulgated by the POST commission; and
(2) Maintain a current address of record on file with the director.
6. A peace officer license shall automatically expire if the licensee fails to hold a commission as a peace officer for a period of five consecutive years, provided that the POST commission shall provide for the relicensure of such persons and may require retraining as a condition of eligibility for relicensure, and provided that the director may provide for the continuing licensure, subject to restrictions, of persons who hold and exercise a law enforcement commission requiring a peace officer license but not meeting the definition of a peace officer pursuant to this chapter.
(L. 2001 H.B. 80, A.L. 2009 S.B. 47)
* Word "Education" appears in original rolls.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.