2020 Mississippi Code
Title 21 - Municipalities
Chapter 29 - Employees' Retirement and Disability Systems
Article 7 - Miscellaneous Provisions
§ 21-29-329. Municipalities may adopt resolutions allowing spouses receiving retirement benefits to continue to receive spouse benefits for life, even after remarriage
- Any municipality that has established a retirement fund or disability and relief fund under the provisions of Article 1, 3 or 5 of this chapter, shall be authorized to adopt a resolution to allow those spouses who are receiving retirement benefits under the provisions of those articles, to continue to receive the spouse retirement benefits for life even if the spouse remarries. The resolution also may provide that surviving spouses of deceased members who received spouse retirement benefits that were terminated upon remarriage may again receive the spouse retirement benefits from and after making application with the Board of Trustees of the Public Employees' Retirement System to reinstate the benefits. Any reinstatement of spouse retirement benefits shall be prospective only from and after the first of the month following the date of application for reinstatement.
- The continuation or reinstatement of spouse retirement benefits authorized under this section shall not be continued or reinstated unless all of the following requirements are met:
- The municipal retirement fund or disability and relief fund is actuarially sound, as shown by the most recent actuarial study required by Section 21-29-27, 21-29-119 or 21-29-221;
- The municipal retirement fund or disability and relief fund will remain actuarially sound if the spouse retirement benefits are continued or reinstated, as shown by a certified statement from the actuarial firm that prepared the most recent actuarial study;
- The governing authorities of the municipality adopt a resolution requesting the continuation or reinstatement of the spouse retirement benefits as authorized in this section and transmit the resolution to the Board of Trustees of the Public Employees' Retirement System; and
- If applicable, the surviving spouse makes an application to the Board of Trustees of the Public Employees' Retirement System to reinstate the spouse retirement benefits.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.